Struggling to find a medium for AUTO-FLOWER. Please help.

• Thread starter Growth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Growth

We're starting our second auto. The first didn't go great, but the buds came out nice. We had gnats, wind burn, light burn, stunted plants, etc.

Could someone give me an exact recipe of a medium that gave them nice auto-flowers please? I've looked EVERYWHERE and there's so many and it's confusing me.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Don't grow Autoflowers for the love of God. Get fem seeds, there isn't a soil because they suck. It wasn't the soil that gave you gnats you were overwatering

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

There is nothing wrong with Auto flowers. Once you get past all the bla bla bla they are just pot plants.
Yes autos can go wrong, but so can photo period if you don't know what your doing.
Are you going to grow in pots?
Indoor or out? Will make a difference.

Are you thinking
Chemical Fertilizer, Organic based Fertilizer, Living soil?

Most people have problems not with plants but with overly priced nutrients due to the overly complicated directions.
The truth is that you just don't need all the crap they are selling for $50.00 a bottle. You don't need to drop seed in overly hot $100 a bag pre mixed soil to grow really good pot. Nether do you need Bat shit, worm castings or ground shell.

I can help you if you give me a little more information about what you want.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Don't grow Autoflowers for the love of God. Get fem seeds, there isn't a soil because they suck. It wasn't the soil that gave you gnats you were overwatering
Lol! Simmer down canna, you know it’s futile! They both grow in the same type of soil! Except one of them is holding a gun to your head and saying, better figure it out, cause I’m flowering whether you’ll like it or not! Hopefully you will figure it out! Just a lot of extra pressure on a new grower!

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Lol! Simmer down canna, you know it’s futile! They both grow in the same type of soil! Except one of them is holding a gun to your head and saying, better figure it out, cause I’m flowering whether you’ll like it or not! Hopefully you will figure it out! Just a lot of extra pressure on a new grower!
I just think they are completely pointless, I've grown them before, more than once, indoor and outdoor. Ive grown every kind of seed a bunch. Just very unimpressed versus regs and fems, i also think they are bad for new growers, and I just like to bitch about them so i do🤷‍♂️
I think regs are the best if you have the room personally

Last edited:
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Thanks Chucky. Took a couple of weeks off. Back on my feet again.

Hey Canna. If you grow Autos in dinky little pots in a crowded tent your going to get dinky little Auto flowers.
It does not matter what you feed them. In the northern hemisphere where days get cool and damp the end of September. Plants that require more than 8 weeks to finish can be a real problem when it comes to rainy cool weather and mould issues overnight. This is where Auto Flowers really shine. Where I am.
I pop my beans the 2nd week of May. Transplant seedlings outdoors into 15 gallon pots before the tap roots get to the bottom of the cup.
I have a few other tricks up my sleeve but I find Autos to my liking. Yes I killed $100.00 worth of seed figuring it out but they work for me.
The key to autos indoors is 1 plant per tent. Best light and feed you can give them. After the seedling stage, treat them just like photos.
Light 16-8 for there life cycle.

This is a Northern Lights Auto I grew last season. 30 Gallon pot- living soil. Home made fertilizer.

Think this is her rough trimmed hanging. Not sure

Last edited:
Redneckx

Redneckx

Hey Canna. If you grow Autos in dinky little pots in a tent your going to get dinky little Auto flowers.
It does not matter what you feed them. In the northern hemisphere where days get cool and damp the end of September. Plants that require more than 8 weeks to finish can be a real problem when it comes to rainy cool weather and mould issues overnight. This is where Auto Flowers really shine. Where I am.
I pop my beans the 2nd week of May. Transplant seedlings outdoors into 15 gallon pots before the tap roots get to the bottom of the cup.
I have a few other tricks up my sleeve but I find Autos to my liking. Yes I killed $100.00 worth of seed figuring it out but they work for me.
The key to autos indoors is 1 plant per tent. Best light and feed you can give them. After the seedling stage, treat them just like photos.

This is a Northern Lights Auto I grew last season. 30 Gallon pot- living soil. Home made fertilizer.
View attachment 2134690

View attachment 2134684
Looks great! how much did it yield?
Seems like I act wrong, I put the autos in small pots 1,3gal and the photos in 3,3gal pots..
Do autos flower quicker in small pots when they reached the bottom or what let them grow outdoor longer than indoor?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Cancer Red. I'm ok though. I'm retired have a home based bicycle shop. Been busy adding an E bike service setup as well.
Rebuilding E bike battery packs, Scooter Packs and many other battery packs as well, working 6 days a week.

Was staying up till 3 or4 am on the net, up at 6. Got all turned around and had to take some time to rest up.
Busy season is just around the corner. My indoor miniature plant garden is week 5 of flower. Just beginning to sugar up nicely.
Will post picks soon.

Do autos flower quicker in small pots when they reached the bottom or what let them grow outdoor longer than indoor?
I find that when the tap root hits bottom they seem to start flowering.
Small pot = small plants Auto or Photo.

Guys Outdoors, I do things very differently.

I start with real living soil I make myself.
2 Inches of crushed stone in the bottom of the pot for drainage. Drill many drainage holes.
25% sand, 25% Finished Compost, 25% the nicest dark garden soil I can get my hands on.
I have access to nice Leaf Mould, So I add a 25% measure of Leaf mould as well but if you don't have it.
You don't have to have it.
25% Pete. All Buy Volume.
2 Inches of crushed stone in the bottom of the pot . Drill many drainage holes.
An inch of well dried cow dung on top of the medium only not mixed in.
My pots are already at this point now for this summer.

May 1. I top dress with 1/2 cup Bone meal. 111/2 cop Dolomite lime, 1/2 cup Gypsum.

The May 24 I begin watering the pots with this Microbe mix once a week to supercharge the soil.
I don't use strainer bags. I just run it threw a kitchen strainer into another bucket and it's great.

Summer time Microbe solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qI3iENUZOw&t=4s

This is what I grow with. Real living soil out door.

If I'm using bottled Nutrients out doors I prefer Pro mix in Pete 50% Pete and 50% Vermiculite.
5 gallon pots. A little Dolomite Lime and Gypsum mixed in at planting seedlings and top dress when flowering.
How much depending on pot size.

Indoors I use 50% Pete, 50% Vermiculite. This is light and fluffy. Autos love it.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Cancer Red. I'm ok though. I'm retired have a home based bicycle shop. Been busy adding an E bike service setup as well.
Rebuilding E bike battery packs, Scooter Packs and many other battery packs as well, working 6 days a week.

Was staying up till 3 or4 am on the net, up at 6. Got all turned around and had to take some time to rest up.
Busy season is just around the corner. My indoor miniature plant garden is week 5 of flower. Just beginning to sugar up nicely.
Will post picks soon.

2 Inches of crushed stone in the bottom of the pot for drainage. Drill many drainage holes.
25% sand, 25% Finished Compost, 25% the nicest dark garden soil I can get my hands on.
I have access to nice Leaf Mould, So I add a 25% measure of Leaf mould as well but if you don't have it.

May 1. I top dress with 1/2 cup Bone meal. 111/2 cop Dolomite lime, 1/2 cup Gypsum.

The May 24 I begin watering the pots with this Microbe mix once a week to supercharge the soil.
I don't use strainer bags. I just run it threw a kitchen strainer into another bucket and it's great.

If I'm using bottled Nutrients out doors I prefer Pro mix in Pete 50% Pete and 50% Vermiculite.
5 gallon pots. A little Dolomite Lime and Gypsum mixed in at planting seedlings and top dress when flowering.

View attachment 2134780

Indoors I use 50% Pete, 50% Vermiculite. This is light and fluffy. Autos love it.

Was wondering where you went, sorry to hear of why, but glad to see you back. Take care of yourself ✌

Redneckx

Redneckx

Will post picks soon.

View attachment 2134780

Hard to hear that my friend😰
Wish you all the best hope you'll feel better soon.
Sounds good to with your shop!
Keep on going but step a little back and always stay strong!

Waiting for your indoor beautys 🥹

Thanks for the proof, I probably got too small pots...hope to hit the 3,5oz per plant max. would be fine for me.
My auto started flowering a little early and is now stacking up and still stretching a little.
What ya think I can expect on my 1,3 gal and 3,3 gal pots with photos around 3-4 month veg time? And Autos in that size?

Maybe start outdoor in a month or never but I'd like to give it a try.
Thought about autos first and then switched to photos, but they would be much riskier because of the size.
So if i just plant them in the ground, the autos can grow bigger and also take longer time to mature right?

I got your mixture. copied by your video of Prof. Bugsbee and it works great, don't regret to take that base and add my stuff.

Your video's are gold for newbies!

Stay awesome.

Last edited:
G

Growth

There is nothing wrong with Auto flowers. Once you get past all the bla bla bla they are just pot plants.
Yes autos can go wrong, but so can photo period if you don't know what your doing.
Are you going to grow in pots?
Indoor or out? Will make a difference.

Are you thinking
Chemical Fertilizer, Organic based Fertilizer, Living soil?

Most people have problems not with plants but with overly priced nutrients due to the overly complicated directions.
The truth is that you just don't need all the crap they are selling for $50.00 a bottle. You don't need to drop seed in overly hot $100 a bag pre mixed soil to grow really good pot. Nether do you need Bat shit, worm castings or ground shell.

I can help you if you give me a little more information about what you want.
Indoor 4x4 tent, planning to grow 6 plants in 5 gallon pots. Would rather organic fertilizer, living soil takes a bit too much work than we are ready for.

We were going to spend a couple hundred hopefully.

G

Growth

Hey Canna. If you grow Autos in dinky little pots in a crowded tent your going to get dinky little Auto flowers.

View attachment 2134690

View attachment 2134684
That looks beautiful man, but our autos didn't even come close to growing to that size and they had a lot of room between eachother. Likely our mistakes but me and my brother are of different opinions. He'd rather grow 1 or 2 really good plants and I'd rather grow 5-6 and learn from our mistakes and worst case we have flower to use for bubble hash or pressing in a dab press.

coherent

coherent

Not rocket science... I've grown both photos and autos and fem and regular seeds. Autos grow fine in coco and DTW. I use Jacks 3-2-1 and 18 on 6 off Led's in a tent. Never any issues. Simple.. cheap, nearly impossible to over water and nice buds and crops in minimum time. Nothing wrong with autos. To those who don't grow them or like them.. to each their own. Easy to grow, take less time and great buds that blow away dispensary herbs with minimal effort..

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Putting all jazz & preferences aside a bag of regular “compost” will do the job.

No need to seak out expensive bags just a regular bag like home & garden will do you well.

Autos, regular & fems it makes no difference they all do well in soil.

Imzzaudae makes his own living soil
Btw if you read this nice to see you back and hope you get well soon

chuck88

chuck88

I like to KISS 😉

ProMix HP and Mega Crop one part. 600w MH/HPS in a 42" parabolic reflector.

I have found the difference in yield between a 2 gallon plastic pot and a 5 gallon fabric pot is negligible.

Watering frequency is the difference, a 2 gallon pot takes a litre per day, a 5 gallon fabric pot takes over a gallon every three days.

I'm now using 5 gallon pails with GroBuckets, mid to late flower they take a gallon a day.

BTW > Advanced Nutrients ph perfect, Mega Crop one part and GH MaxiSeries all produced similar results. The later two are less expensive and powders are easier to weight compared to measuring out multiple liquids in mm's 😵

Early Miss auto, 2 gallon plastic pot, fed AN nutrients, 13 oz.

Betty full 16 Jan 2021 web

Gorilla Glue #4 auto, 5 gallon fabric bag, fed MC one part, 11g shy of a pound !

GG4 right vertical two

Six Shooter Auto, 5 gallon SIP, fed MC, 13.86 oz.

Six Shooter three 30 Nov 2023

Cheers

G

Growth

I like to KISS 😉

ProMix HP and Mega Crop one part. 600w MH/HPS in a 42" parabolic reflector.

I have found the difference in yield between a 2 gallon plastic pot and a 5 gallon fabric pot is negligible.

Watering frequency is the difference, a 2 gallon pot takes a litre per day, a 5 gallon fabric pot takes over a gallon every three days.

I'm now using 5 gallon pails with GroBuckets, mid to late flower they take a gallon a day.

BTW > Advanced Nutrients ph perfect, Mega Crop one part and GH MaxiSeries all produced similar results. The later two are less expensive and powders are easier to weight compared to measuring out multiple liquids in mm's 😵

Early Miss auto, 2 gallon plastic pot, fed AN nutrients, 13 oz.

View attachment 2135433

Gorilla Glue #4 auto, 5 gallon fabric bag, fed MC one part, 11g shy of a pound !

View attachment 2135434

Six Shooter Auto, 5 gallon SIP, fed MC, 13.86 oz.

View attachment 2135435

Cheers
Thank you very much! What is the difference between plastic and fabric pots? I figured they're both just pots, lol.

757Botanist

We're starting our second auto. The first didn't go great, but the buds came out nice. We had gnats, wind burn, light burn, stunted plants, etc.

Could someone give me an exact recipe of a medium that gave them nice auto-flowers please? I've looked EVERYWHERE and there's so many and it's confusing me.
Tbh buddy I threw my autos in FF OF and they did fine. The point of growing is to
Test out different methodologies. I mean that’s literally the scientific method. If anyone tells you that their way is the best way is full of themselves and not a
Student of horticulture.

That’s the beauty of growing, sometimes messing up in a process yields the best results, happy accidents. Without them we wouldn’t have xray, penicillin, superglue, and my special strain I call Gorilla-Gary. Gg4 clone fused with Gary Payton, the hormones took and its
A slow
Grow. We shall see in a few months.

G

Growth

Tbh buddy I threw my autos in FF OF and they did fine. The point of growing is to
Test out different methodologies. I mean that’s literally the scientific method. If anyone tells you that their way is the best way is full of themselves and not a
Student of horticulture.

That’s the beauty of growing, sometimes messing up in a process yields the best results, happy accidents. Without them we wouldn’t have xray, penicillin, superglue, and my special strain I call Gorilla-Gary. Gg4 clone fused with Gary Payton, the hormones took and its
A slow
Grow. We shall see in a few months.
Yeah I know growing isn't down to a science (yet. I'm hoping over time and as it becomes legal people will find the definitive best ways to do certain things over time) but I'd still like to start off good. This is the first grow I will be down in my tent daily looking for signs of any issues. Going to buy the light meter instead of just eyeballing it. I want to do it as best as I possibly can.

We always get way less yield and strength than our seeds are capable of. We always have lots of issues. I want a nice smooth grow and I thought the first place to learn about is the medium. It's just confusing because people use so many abbreviations and I have no clue what to put in my medium. Honestly 0 idea. My brother did all that and just copied YouTube videos from guys with 10k subscribers.

I don't know if you'll understand but this will be grow 7. I want to finally do it right and grow a big crystally plant.

Top Bottom