Struggling to stabilize tent humidity

• Thread starter lisamarie77783
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lisamarie77783

Hey guys, newbie here trying to stabilize my tent environment. Growing in 4x8 currently using 1 volt fl-1 light, AC infinity 6” duct is running out the window so air is being expelled from the room. Tent was still too hot (over 85 degrees) so I got a portable AC also running heat out the window (different window) the room itself is sitting at 72 degrees, tent sits around 80 but the humidity is too low. Intake fan is pulling air from AC into tent it’s right in front of the AC, duct is running into the top of the tent because I don’t have any holes at the bottom (it’s an old tent) got a humidifier but still can’t get humidity above 45% so vpd is sitting at like 2.2. I don’t know what else to do to get the humidity up while keeping the temp down. PPFD is at 220 (I’m in seedling stage) so I don’t think I can turn the light down lower than it already is. I’m so discouraged feels like I’ve tried everything but can’t get the environment right. Any advice?

2Bad

2Bad

Hey guys, newbie here trying to stabilize my tent environment. Growing in 4x8 currently using 1 volt fl-1 light, AC infinity 6” duct is running out the window so air is being expelled from the room. Tent was still too hot (over 85 degrees) so I got a portable AC also running heat out the window (different window) the room itself is sitting at 72 degrees, tent sits around 80 but the humidity is too low. Intake fan is pulling air from AC into tent it’s right in front of the AC, duct is running into the top of the tent because I don’t have any holes at the bottom (it’s an old tent) got a humidifier but still can’t get humidity above 45% so vpd is sitting at like 2.2. I don’t know what else to do to get the humidity up while keeping the temp down. PPFD is at 220 (I’m in seedling stage) so I don’t think I can turn the light down lower than it already is. I’m so discouraged feels like I’ve tried everything but can’t get the environment right. Any advice?
Humidifier ...you're going to need one for the end when you dry your bud anyways.. just remember do the best you can..not the best that others can.

freezeland2

freezeland2

You probably need to add a second humidifier. The mist types seem to work better over wick type humidifiers.

growsince79

growsince79

What kind of light? A good seedling light should make hardly any heat.

L

lisamarie77783

It’s a Volt Fl-1 led light 720 watts sitting at 200 watts right now

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Either your fan isn't right or the light is a pos running too hot. My guess is the light. 72-85f diff is what a 1000w hps does.
In my tent there is usually about a 5* temp difference between room/lung temp and tent temp with lights on. Of course my tent isn't as big as OP's. Mine's a 5x5 and his is a 4x8. His light pulls 720watts. I have two 275 watt lights in my tent which totals 550watts so the lights are creating as much heat in the tent.

OP....not sure what size portable A/C you have but the ones that you can wheel around and have a discharge hose aren't very efficient. What is the size of your lung room? You need to size the A/C to the size of the lung room not the tent. You cool the lung room and the tent inside follows. I'm guessing you're running a 1 ton/10,000 - 12,000 btu portable A/C? Without knowing the size of the lung room I'm going to guess you're going to need around 2 tons/20,000 BTU to cool down the room enough to cool the inside of the tent to where you want it. You mentioned an intake fan pulling cooled air directly into the tent. If this method is not cooling your tent enough my guess would be that the room you have it in is either facing the sun and gets very warm on it's own and your little A/C is fighting it or the A/C itself just isn't up to the task. You may want to think about installing a 2 ton mini split in that room.

I love my T6 but wish I would have gone with a T8 for more air movement. The T6 does the job but it's running between 6 - 8 almost constantly and frequently goes to 10 when it goes past my presets. You might think about replacing the T6 with a T8 and purchase another tent just for veg. Use the T6 in the Veg tent and T8 in the flower rent.

JJS009

JJS009

Just when you think it can’t get any sicker!

In my tent there is usually about a 5* temp difference between room/lung temp and tent temp with lights on. Of course my tent isn't as big as OP's. Mine's a 5x5 and his is a 4x8. His light pulls 720watts. I have two 275 watt lights in my tent which totals 550watts so the lights are creating as much heat in the tent.

OP....not sure what size portable A/C you have but the ones that you can wheel around and have a discharge hose aren't very efficient. What is the size of your lung room? You need to size the A/C to the size of the lung room not the tent. You cool the lung room and the tent inside follows. I'm guessing you're running a 1 ton/10,000 - 12,000 btu portable A/C? Without knowing the size of the lung room I'm going to guess you're going to need around 2 tons/20,000 BTU to cool down the room enough to cool the inside of the tent to where you want it. You mentioned an intake fan pulling cooled air directly into the tent. If this method is not cooling your tent enough my guess would be that the room you have it in is either facing the sun and gets very warm on it's own and your little A/C is fighting it or the A/C itself just isn't up to the task. You may want to think about installing a 2 ton mini split in that room.

I love my T6 but wish I would have gone with a T8 for more air movement. The T6 does the job but it's running between 6 - 8 almost constantly and frequently goes to 10 when it goes past my presets. You might think about replacing the T6 with a T8 and purchase another tent just for veg. Use the T6 in the Veg tent and T8 in the flower rent.
Ripping more air through an air conditioned tent is defeating the purpose of having AC, the OP stated the AC is entering the top of the tent because there aren’t any holes in the bottom, my guess is it’s pulling the cool air straight out of the exhaust fan, a bigger fan will make this worse not better

Anthem

Anthem

First of all what you have will probably work. With just one of those lights you are going to need about 4000 BTUs max. Next you want the intake on one end of the tent down low and the exhaust up high. Reason being hot air raises. Kind of like a hot air balloon. So you are going to need some surgery on the tent. Next dumb down the AC infinity fan for the time being and just run it manually. Meaning you control the speed. The key to this is matching up the exhaust to the intake. You need to decrease or increase the CFMs (cubic feet per minute) going out the window. Having the AC right at the intake is also not ideal, you want to give the air coming out of the AC a chance to mix with the air in the room. Part of how an AC works is by pulling water (humidity) out of the air. It will take some time but if you play with it and make small incremental changes you should be fine. If you can get one of those POS little temperature and humidity stations with the probe that will help you. Place the probe in the tent at the top of the plants. You want a station that records the highs and the lows. Once you get it closes changes will become very small.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

OP, you need to get that AC duct at the bottom. This is what you need and will allow you to add a duct to the bottom of your tent.

I had to use one of these to intake cool air into my tent. Works GREAT. I cut the pole attachment points off.

Secret Jardin Ducting Flange

A21E21E9 9913 4110 9B57 60C7B711BB02

F9E5C49B 9F38 4649 BD1D DCE04BACB5D2

Top Bottom