Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now. Any help is appreciated!

• Thread starter Cannabanana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannabanana

Cannabanana

Hey guys,

I've been having the same deficiency for about 3 weeks now and after spending countless hours and days looking for a solution, I'm at a dead end and need some help.

Some information regarding my indoor grow:

Veg stage | 4 weeks

Medium: Coco perlite 70/30 mix in 3.45-gallon pots

Strain: OG Skywalker

Lights: Gavita 1700e LEDs running at 60%, about 2-2.5 feet above plants.

Room variables: Sealed indoor room| humidity 55-65% | Temp of room 77-79F | CO2 is at 800-1200 PPM

Watering details: Using tap water that has a base PPM of 250-280 | Temp 70F | pH 5.8-6.0 | current PPM @ watering 900-950PPM (post nutrient addition)

Feeding Schedule: The last flush was about 2 weeks ago. I used to water about every three days (up until 3-week mark) when I notice the pot gets lighter and the medium begins to become less saturated with water (I never wait until the medium completely dries out). I used to water each pot for about 15 seconds and would get runoff during every watering session. However, I realized that I might have been getting too much runoff so I shifted my watering schedule to every 2 days and now I only water for about 10 seconds. With 10 seconds, I haven't really been getting runoff. Is runoff during every watering session necessary?

Nutrient details:
  1. Pro-Silicate 3ml/gallon (added 1 hour before any other nutrient and allow to mix)
  2. CalMag 3-5ml/gallon (added second, etc.)
  3. Root XL 1ml/gallon
  4. Growth Enhancer 1ml/gallon
  5. Mammoth .6ml/gallon
  6. Veg A/B -> I've been using this to adjust PPM. Total added of each is about 25-30ml for the whole tank (30ml).
  7. pH down
The above is my usual nutrient volumes that are used. However, recently I bumped up CalMag to 4-5ml/gallon since I've had a couple of recommendations stating that I had a CalMag deficiency. I know its too soon to see the difference, however, the plants don't seem to be doing any better.

The beginning of this week I topped/FIMMED all my plants. I topped half and FIMMED the other half (experimental purposes) and following that, I noticed the plants began to show a purple hue. I'm not sure if this is due to stress.

Every single one of my plants is showing some form of deficiency, some times even more than one. I've attached pictures below showing the different types of deficiencies I'm having. The purple/brown hue/shade on the plants started appearing after topping/FIMMING.

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely lost. Let me know if any more information is needed.

Thanks in advance!

Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now any help is appreciated
Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now any help is appreciated 2
Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now any help is appreciated 3
Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now any help is appreciated 4
Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now any help is appreciated 5
Struggling with multiple deficiencies for 3 weeks now any help is appreciated 6
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey guys,

I've been having the same deficiency for about 3 weeks now and after spending countless hours and days looking for a solution, I'm at a dead end and need some help.

Some information regarding my indoor grow:

Veg stage | 4 weeks

Medium: Coco perlite 70/30 mix in 3.45-gallon pots

Strain: OG Skywalker

Lights: Gavita 1700e LEDs running at 60%, about 2-2.5 feet above plants.

Room variables: Sealed indoor room| humidity 55-65% | Temp of room 77-79F | CO2 is at 800-1200 PPM

Watering details: Using tap water that has a base PPM of 250-280 | Temp 70F | pH 5.8-6.0 | current PPM @ watering 900-950PPM (post nutrient addition)

Feeding Schedule: The last flush was about 2 weeks ago. I used to water about every three days (up until 3-week mark) when I notice the pot gets lighter and the medium begins to become less saturated with water (I never wait until the medium completely dries out). I used to water each pot for about 15 seconds and would get runoff during every watering session. However, I realized that I might have been getting too much runoff so I shifted my watering schedule to every 2 days and now I only water for about 10 seconds. With 10 seconds, I haven't really been getting runoff. Is runoff during every watering session necessary?

Nutrient details:
  1. Pro-Silicate 3ml/gallon (added 1 hour before any other nutrient and allow to mix)
  2. CalMag 3-5ml/gallon (added second, etc.)
  3. Root XL 1ml/gallon
  4. Growth Enhancer 1ml/gallon
  5. Mammoth .6ml/gallon
  6. Veg A/B -> I've been using this to adjust PPM. Total added of each is about 25-30ml for the whole tank (30ml).
  7. pH down
The above is my usual nutrient volumes that are used. However, recently I bumped up CalMag to 4-5ml/gallon since I've had a couple of recommendations stating that I had a CalMag deficiency. I know its too soon to see the difference, however, the plants don't seem to be doing any better.

The beginning of this week I topped/FIMMED all my plants. I topped half and FIMMED the other half (experimental purposes) and following that, I noticed the plants began to show a purple hue. I'm not sure if this is due to stress.

Every single one of my plants is showing some form of deficiency, some times even more than one. I've attached pictures below showing the different types of deficiencies I'm having. The purple/brown hue/shade on the plants started appearing after topping/FIMMING.

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely lost. Let me know if any more information is needed.

Thanks in advance!
What size pots. Coco should never dry and should stay over 90% saturated. You can treat it like soil. Also make sure you are getting a decent amount of run off. Also can you measure the ppm and pH of the runoff

After adding the silica ph down to 6.2-6.4 silica will raise the ph a lot and that can cause precipitate.

Last edited:
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I’ve never grown in coco before, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but my first reaction was like holy crap you are hitting them with a ton of shit. 7 different chemicals all mixed together and who knows what kind of interaction is going on there. I don’t know what is in most of that stuff but you can safely say most of those things aren’t doing anything for you at the moment, eliminate them.

Flush all that stuff out, give it a basic nutrient, and nothing else, give them a chance to bounce back. Keep an eye on new growth and see what it does. I’ve found that CalMag creates nothing but problems, and will avoid it at all costs. An excess of one nutrient can cause havoc on the uptake of others, with so much going on in your nutrient mix it’s impossible to pinpoint if that is the problem.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't mean this in a bad way but everything you're doing is wrong; you obviously haven't read up much if at all on how to grow cannabis in Coco

so my suggestion would be spend a couple hours asap and read everything you can online

Read here and ilgm, royal Queen seeds & growweedeasy are a few other places to start and then you will have better questions to ask us, and our answers will make more sense to you

Tag me back in if you wish after you've read up on growing cannabis in Coco and I'll help if I can, good luck

Cannabanana

Cannabanana

What size pots. Coco should never dry and should stay over 90% saturated. You can treat it like soil. Also make sure you are getting a decent amount of run off. Also can you measure the ppm and pH of the runoff

After adding the silica ph down to 6.2-6.4 silica will raise the ph a lot and that can cause precipitate.

Pots are about 3.45 gallons. I never let the Coco dry. The most I've let it dry is the top 5% of the medium. I dropped from 15 seconds of watering to 10 seconds because I thought maybe I was watering too much and was flushing around 30+ %. I've read multiple places that it should always be saturated. Since this is my first harvest I'm experimenting a bit to see what works.

Last watering runoff was 560 PPM, 6.2 pH and 73F.

Cannabanana

Cannabanana

I’ve never grown in coco before, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but my first reaction was like holy crap you are hitting them with a ton of shit. 7 different chemicals all mixed together and who knows what kind of interaction is going on there. I don’t know what is in most of that stuff but you can safely say most of those things aren’t doing anything for you at the moment, eliminate them.

Flush all that stuff out, give it a basic nutrient, and nothing else, give them a chance to bounce back. Keep an eye on new growth and see what it does. I’ve found that CalMag creates nothing but problems, and will avoid it at all costs. An excess of one nutrient can cause havoc on the uptake of others, with so much going on in your nutrient mix it’s impossible to pinpoint if that is the problem.

I've definitely considered using VegA/B as the base rather than using it as a way of adjusting the PPM at the end. What do you think?

From what I've been hearing and reading online, most people are saying I had a nitrogen & CalMag deficiency so that's when I added CalMag to my nutrients. However, after upping my Nitrogen and CalMag I haven't seen any differences (been about two weeks post change).

Cannabanana

Cannabanana

I don't mean this in a bad way but everything you're doing is wrong; you obviously haven't read up much if at all on how to grow cannabis in Coco

so my suggestion would be spend a couple hours asap and read everything you can online

Read here and ilgm, royal Queen seeds & growweedeasy are a few other places to start and then you will have better questions to ask us, and our answers will make more sense to you

Tag me back in if you wish after you've read up on growing cannabis in Coco and I'll help if I can, good luck

I appreciate the response. This is my first harvest so I was definitely expecting some difficulty in fine tuning the whole process. I've actually read a decent amount, almost every cannabis grow guide imaginable. Unfortunately, I'm still having issues. I read all the websites you listed more than once and I'm using all the parameters they recommend such as pH, Temp, making sure all the micro/macros are given, runoff percentage, watering frequency and still have deficiencies.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Are you saying your base water is 250 ppm out of the tap? Have a water report?

Cannabanana

Cannabanana

Are you saying your base water is 250 ppm out of the tap? Have a water report?

Yes, base water is about 250 ppm and I do not have a water report. What would I use to get one?

Sorry, Veg A/B is manufactured by HEAVY 16. It is their Vegetative base nutrient.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
VPD. Your plants aren’t transpiring enough moisture due to the low temp and high humidity. When using co2 you need to run at a higher temp but also you need to get rid of some of that moisture especially in a sealed room.

With low VPD comes deficencies. The nutrients can’t be mobilized. You’ll chase your tail for weeks until you get the right environment dialed in.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think that the op pics look like burn amd lockout from too high input ppm’s. I would think half as much would be proper for those plants.

Or ditch the additives and feed only the base nutes at least till corrected. Needs a flush and feed back a light dose of base nutes in my opinion.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Here's your problem right here you're not watering Coco properly..

Screenshot 20200814 155422 Chrome

that's why I gave you all those websites to read because even though you claim you've read all of them..

..seems somehow you've missed a most fundamental fact that you water Coco at least one a day?!

Cannabanana

Cannabanana

Here's your problem right here you're not watering Coco properly..

View attachment 1016319

that's why I gave you all those websites to read because even though you claim you've read all of them..

..seems somehow you've missed a most fundamental fact that you water Coco at least one a day?!

Thanks for the links! I actually went through reading them this morning oncemore and saw the emphasis on watering Coco at least once a day, so I appreciate that. I've just been getting so many different opinions regarding watering frequency, I wasn't sure which was accurate. From the reading it seems like I need to water more frequently and allow for 10-20% runoff every single time.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for the links! I actually went through reading them this morning oncemore and saw the emphasis on watering Coco at least once a day, so I appreciate that. I've just been getting so many different opinions regarding watering frequency, I wasn't sure which was accurate. From the reading it seems like I need to water more frequently and allow for 10-20% runoff every single time.
You're welcome. If I were you I'd reset the medium with a good flush right now..

..and then start watering at least once a day, always with nutrients, always with 20% runoff, good luck!

Cannabanana

Cannabanana

I think that the op pics look like burn amd lockout from too high input ppm’s. I would think half as much would be proper for those plants.

Or ditch the additives and feed only the base nutes at least till corrected. Needs a flush and feed back a light dose of base nutes in my opinion.

I've had thoughts of removing the growth enhancer, however people have been saying my problem is Nitrogen deficiency. Granted, more Nitrogen supplementation doesn't necessarily mean my plants wont have a deficiency of Nitrogen from other underlying issues.

As far as flushing, would you recommend a straight tap water flush at neutral pH or supplement it with CalMag?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yes, first grow!
the guys here will get you through it.
though why you choose to grow that way for your first time, with much easier and cheaper methods to start with. anyways,
no worries as they’ll get you to the finish!

Latest posts

Top Bottom