Stuggling with daytime temps, advice please

• Thread starter smokeyjoes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

I'm coming up to week 4 flower, Temps in the UK have just gone up drastically and I'm now struggling to keep Temps down through the day, yesterday and today my grow space has spiked to 34c, I've put a plug in air con unit up there but it isn't really helping, is there anything I can do without cutting out holes to vent out?

My grow space is in open loft space not a tent btw,

Temps are only going this high from sort of midday-6pm, how much of a problem is this going to cause me?

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I'm coming up to week 4 flower, Temps in the UK have just gone up drastically and I'm now struggling to keep Temps down through the day, yesterday and today my grow space has spiked to 34c, I've put a plug in air con unit up there but it isn't really helping, is there anything I can do without cutting out holes to vent out?

My grow space is in open loft space not a tent btw,

Temps are only going this high from sort of midday-6pm, how much of a problem is this going to cause me?
Are you running the lights during the day? I had to totally switch my schedule around to have the lights shut off during the hotter part of the day. So far it’s worked. Do you have a window available?

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

Are you running the lights during the day? I had to totally switch my schedule around to have the lights shut off during the hotter part of the day. So far it’s worked. Do you have a window available?
This is what I was thinking, probably the easiest option that way, so atm they're on 9am-9pm, how should i do it? Didn't know if that would end up stressing them again

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
This is what I was thinking, probably the easiest option that way, so atm they're on 9am-9pm, how should i do it? Didn't know if that would end up stressing them again
the stressing the plant out is a good question! If they were my plants I would consider one of two things, 1 just flip the schedule and they ether get extra light or extra dark. Or 2 add 3 hours and take 3 hours until the time has switched over (if that makes sense). I dont know for sure the stress that would be caused but that. My thought is get it over with and keep them in the dark an extra day till the time is where you want it. My inexperience tells me they would be fine doing the quick flip and just leaving them in the dark or light : )

Northdank67

Northdank67

the stressing the plant out is a good question! If they were my plants I would consider one of two things, 1 just flip the schedule and they ether get extra light or extra dark. Or 2 add 3 hours and take 3 hours until the time has switched over (if that makes sense). I dont know for sure the stress that would be caused but that. My thought is get it over with and keep them in the dark an extra day till the time is where you want it. My inexperience tells me they would be fine doing the quick flip and just leaving them in the dark or light : )
I've had timers fail and found out that you propably don't want to make the night time longer during veg, had some seedling start to flower unintentionally even tho this was taken care of under 24h.. after that I've allso had timers fail/ temps too high etc etc so I've had to change the light schedule and I never had problems with giving the plants too many hours of light in the veg state so nowadays if i have to change the light schedule I'll just keep the lights on untill the time i want to start the night, give the plants 6h of darkness and the plants have allways responded well to this. I'm not a master grower by any means but this has worked and I've had 0 issues. Even if your plants would stress out if the VPD and feed are on point, they'll bounce back very quickly if they're not some runts.

7munkee

7munkee

Personally, I would just turn your lights out at 9am and turn them on at 9pm. They will not object. Worst case you lose 12 hours of growth. This will not cause them to revert/switch/herm in any way. It takes multiple days/nights to cause that kind of change in a plant. I'm at the end of flower and I have left my lights on for 78 hours straight with no ill effects.
IMG 20240509 112019

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

I hermed one of my 6 by smoking a joint in the attack at night, had my phone torch on for literally 30 secs and 2days later seeds were popping, i couldn't find much online about switching light schedules so mega worried about it😅 so my lights are due on at 9am as is, do I just leave them off until 9pm? Thus giving 24hrs darkness?

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

I've had timers fail and found out that you propably don't want to make the night time longer during veg, had some seedling start to flower unintentionally even tho this was taken care of under 24h.. after that I've allso had timers fail/ temps too high etc etc so I've had to change the light schedule and I never had problems with giving the plants too many hours of light in the veg state so nowadays if i have to change the light schedule I'll just keep the lights on untill the time i want to start the night, give the plants 6h of darkness and the plants have allways responded well to this. I'm not a master grower by any means but this has worked and I've had 0 issues. Even if your plants would stress out if the VPD and feed are on point, they'll bounce back very quickly if they're not some runts.
This is week 3/4 of flower though mate, I'm worries about interrupting 12hrs total darkness/or giving 24hr of total sunlight

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

Starts getting cooler at 6pm onwards, I think the answer I'm looking for is whether it's safe enough to give them an extra 9hrs of darkness the morning/day after a night cycle?

7munkee

7munkee

I hermed one of my 6 by smoking a joint in the attack at night, had my phone torch on for literally 30 secs and 2days later seeds were popping, i couldn't find much online about switching light schedules so mega worried about it😅 so my lights are due on at 9am as is, do I just leave them off until 9pm? Thus giving 24hrs darkness?
That is exactly what you should do. Its the dark being interrupted that Phuks up flowering. Longer dark period once will not interrupt flowering.

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

That is exactly what you should do. Its the dark being interrupted that Phuks up flowering. Longer dark period once will not interrupt flowering.
Thanks bro appreciate it, it's only because I hermed one already I'm so worried haha, back in the day when I've tried growing plants I've literally just left them in the windowsill until they're too big then bought a shitty 600w hps and ran it for as long as I can before the missus moans about it being on, even more so never understood the affects of light leaks😅

7munkee

7munkee

Thanks bro appreciate it, it's only because I hermed one already I'm so worried haha, back in the day when I've tried growing plants I've literally just left them in the windowsill until they're too big then bought a shitty 600w hps and ran it for as long as I can before the missus moans about it being on, even more so never understood the affects of light leaks😅
I started growing in the early 80's as a teen. Kept some seeds from some shitty weed and planted them in garbage-cans full of compost around some lighted areas in the woods. I grew up on a farm, so I had ample knowledge about germinating, fertilizing and watering plants outside and I had access to everything I needed.

Some got stolen, some got eaten by deer, some just dried up and died and the ones that did make it were seedy. But it all got me high. Then in 2009 I came across forums and they straightened me out quick. I have only been growing inside for like 4-5 years.

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

So I've left the lights off today, due to come on at 9pm but even without lights on the Temps are 35c upstairs, what can I do? Pulling my hair out now😅

7munkee

7munkee

Keep the air flowing if you can and hope it passes soon. I have the opposite problem. It's in the mid 50's here (about 10c) and humidity is 86% and conditions won't be changing for at least a week. I just chopped an hour ago.

smokeyjoes

smokeyjoes

From the start I haven't used any external intake, everything just seemed to work out perfect up until 3-4 days ago, Temps were 24-28 through the day, 18-20 night the whole way

After today I feel I'm at a bit of a crossroads, temps in dark cycle at 35c but light cycle(9pm til 9am as of today) is at 26c right now, have I just fecked it? Can't imagine the plants will respond well to that?

Northdank67

Northdank67

I think at this point getting an ac unit is the only solution

B

bongboy8200

Really from just the 30secs? No other stress? Some dude just did a side by side with a tent with light leaks and no light leaks. Same exact conditions. Few strains. And no issues. Few others commented it’s more stress not light leaks. People have cracks in doors with light coming through and what not. I have a ph/ec meter that goes in the res and lights up. Had it in the tent before I knew the light was on. It’s a green kinda light. Prob 2-3 weeks. No issues. The tent I have sucks.

B

bongboy8200

I agree with bear water and the others. Switch your lights so they run when it’s cooler. Add and subtract 2-3hours. Make sure you don’t go more than 6 hours dark.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I started growing in the early 80's as a teen. Kept some seeds from some shitty weed and planted them in garbage-cans full of compost around some lighted areas in the woods. I grew up on a farm, so I had ample knowledge about germinating, fertilizing and watering plants outside and I had access to everything I needed.

Some got stolen, some got eaten by deer, some just dried up and died and the ones that did make it were seedy. But it all got me high. Then in 2009 I came across forums and they straightened me out quick. I have only been growing inside for like 4-5 years.
Hey so me and my buddies found that if we used gloves we were good but if you touch the plants with your bare skin the deer ALWAYS find them! What is your experience?

Top Bottom