Stunted clone with bulging stem

• Thread starter Sleepless93
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sleepless93

Sleepless93

What can I do to help this plant? Idk what happened I bought four clones from a greenhouse nearby, this one had been burned with nutes it looked like the leaves were dark green and a few were burned on the tips but I bought it anyway because I like skunk and this was the last one well I planted and the stem on the base started to bulge and the plants growth was way behind the others I planted the same time. Any ideas for a fix or is it a lost cause?

Stunted clone with bulging stem
Stunted clone with bulging stem 2
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
What can I do to help this plant? Idk what happened I bought four clones from a greenhouse nearby, this one had been burned with nutes it looked like the leaves were dark green and a few were burned on the tips but I bought it anyway because I like skunk and this was the last one well I planted and the stem on the base started to bulge and the plants growth was way behind the others I planted the same time. Any ideas for a fix or is it a lost cause?
Good question...I've never seen anything like it, some good folks here with lots of experience just give it a bit someone will know whats going on.

Sleepless93

Sleepless93

Good question...I've never seen anything like it, some good folks here with lots of experience just give it a bit someone will know whats going on.
Thank you I've never seen anything like either I thought at first maybe something was tied around the base or maybe the plug he used to start the clone had been tight and choked it but I checked and nothing. Hopefully someone can help, seems like there's plenty of knowledge kicking around here and if no one has seen anything like this than I will keep everyone posted on what happens with it so we can build our knowledge!!!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I've had this happen to some of my plants in the past I don't think it's a big deal as long as it's not from an insect or something. So, if you don't see any little holes or damage around that bulge area, it's probably just genetics, or could be working overtime making new roots. Are you letting the soil dry out a little before watering again? The stunted growth may be due to overwatering/not enough air getting to the roots. I'll usually dig my fingers in at least 3 inches deep near the base of the plant and if it's still moist give it more time to dry out before watering. If feels dry, time to water.

\/\/\/ - if other plants fine it's probably root issues.

Last edited:
Sleepless93

Sleepless93

These are the other clones I bought at the same time and no problems with these girls.

IMG 20220810 181309737
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Stem mutation, I had a sensi star that had a completely flat stem, some call it clubbing.

Sleepless93

Sleepless93

I've had this happen to some of my plants in the past I don't think it's a big deal as long as it's not from an insect or something. So, if you don't see any little holes or damage around that bulge area, it's probably just genetics, or could be working overtime making new roots. Are you letting the soil dry out a little before watering again? The stunted growth may be due to overwatering/not enough air getting to the roots. I'll usually dig my fingers in at least 3 inches deep near the base of the plant and if it's still moist give it more time to dry out before watering. If feels dry, time to water.

This is what I noticed for damage I don't see any holes or anything like something an insect would make so I think your probably right about it being a mutation. It just looks like it grew into a split on both sides of the stem. Thank you for your time and help. Is there anything I could do to help or should I just let it do it's thing.

IMG 20220811 083642397 BURST000 COVER
IMG 20220811 083619437
Sleepless93

Sleepless93

This is what I noticed for damage I don't see any holes or anything like something an insect would make so I think your probably right about it being a mutation. It just looks like it grew into a split on both sides of the stem. Thank you for your time and help. Is there anything I could do to help or should I just let it do it's thing.

C

chronic2

My experience was the plant grew next season from its roots. It grew out and looked like the stump growth shown, but it was weak once it started to grow. Eventually it broke off from the root. I should have supported it so as not to lose such a large branch, was maybe a 1/4 of the crop gone from that regrowth.

josefrahl

josefrahl

Looks like it was bent over, possibly by an animal, and the stem split. Now it's healing. It probably stood itself up before you saw it bent.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Disclaimer: I've never seen this and could easily be talking out my ass.

I would think an insect or pathogen of some sort got in there, and the plant over reacted. This sort of reminds me of insect galls and burls on trees.

The splitting is a concern. If it progresses, this plant may not amount to much.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I have seen something like that before on other types of plants. One explanation was that is was caused by an infection and the plant is trying to protect itself--something like an abscess. It could also be the plant's reaction to damage. If it's an infection, it would be a good idea to keep it away from the other plants or even destroy it and definitely don't compost it or reuse the soil.

Madmax

Madmax

Looks like it was bent over, possibly by an animal, and the stem split. Now it's healing. It probably stood itself up before you saw it bent.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing.stem was split at some time and it has healed.same way when you crop a branch it will form a knuckle and heal.its behnd because of the damage that has occured.thats just my take..

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter

I had a feeling it was due to some sort of damage.. I have to agree with the bent over/snapped theory. Usually these things heal themselves relatively quickly, thus the bulging. You can maybe help it heal a little faster by applying aloe gel to that split, but not a whole lot you can do at this point. I would just leave it be and keep doing what you do.

I've actually saved more broken branches and stalks by simply not touching them, than trying to fix them. The remaining woody vessels inside the stem and branches tend to swell and take over the job of the broken ones, so minimizing movement, I've found, helps a lot.

You could try staking the plant if you notice it's swaying a lot more than the others.

I still stand by root zone issues if you're seeing a very big difference in growth between this plant and the others - the soil looked really saturated in those pics, as far as I could tell.

Could you give us a basic breakdown of your entire setup?

Feeding/watering schedule, ppm/pH of food, etc.
Soil type?
Nutes used?

Top Bottom