stunted growth in soilmix indoors, diagnosis??

• Thread starter jyip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jyip

jyip

Hey peeps,
here is what i have,,,, back in march i got about a dozen clones to grow indoors,,,,burmese kush, mk ultra, jamaican purplskunk, purple kush, blueberry , and white widow.... the white widow seems effected the most with poor growth,,, mk ultra's are doin the best
they were rooted and in soil so i kept them in soil ( i had always grown indoors in hydro , no soil experience except outdoors )....
i kept them in veg under a 430 hps until 5/10 when i went 12/12 w/them under a 1000hps light
i had been fighting a spider mite problem as they came loaded with the lil bastards,,,, so that is why i vegged for so long, cuz i had to solve that problem first
next thing, i transplanted into 3-4 gal pots, a couple are in 5 gal buckets, and two are in bigger sized containers, maybe 7-9 gal around
they all have the same soil i bought from homedepot, i think it was scotts brand with 4 month of ferts in it,,, i mixed one bg of foxfarm ocean forest into it..
i also mixed in mycorrhizaee into the soil mix too

i use nutrients mixed in the water too, i had watered/fed plants this way two times, and then i had only used water on them

rhizo by canna
foxfarms tiger bloom
sucanat
sweet
superthrive alive B1 mix ( i could be off on name a lil bit ) , i'll correct if wrong
i have also used bills excellent fertilizer too
calmag too

after listing all this stuff, I am thinking that maybe i burnt them with all the different stuff mixed together even though i went 1/3 strength

until yesterday i had problems with high temps in room, up to 92 F with lights on, and mid 80's lights off, BUT now i have AC goin and it is 78f lights on and 68f lights off,,, so temps n humidity r ok now,,,RH is usually near 50%

pics to follow soon but till then

SYMPTOMS...
first the tips of leaves get yellow, then the whole leave ( kinda like when end of flowering happens and they die off naturally ) gets yellow, and thena couple fingers on it will turn brown brown and dry up,,, this happens on old growth on plant, on fan leaves,,, not on the bud sites as of yet
....the fan leaves also get rusted colored as well, with blotches and spots kinda, same end result with dead fan leaves within few days...

new growth and around bud sites seems fine, but some seem stunted compared to what i had grown in hydro before,,, is there a difference in growth between hydro and soil? is that what i am seeing here? less growth from soil cuz i am used to hydro rates of growth?... i think that is not the case, it is something else so I am trying to stabilize the temps, give straight water only, and keep an eye on them...

i need to get pictures for peeps to see to help u help me if possible, so thx for ur time n thoughts!!

i know u r supposed to water till runoff, , but a few of the containers do not have drain holes in them and i cant water till 30% RO like i had seen peeps post here... when i trnasplanted them into the bigger pots , a few of them were too wet and i realized i had been overwatering them,,,, i had been giving them all water when i shoulda wnet easier on the smaller ones cuz they did not have the roots to suck that water up... so i realize this was causing some of the fanleaves to turn yellw and die too,,,, and then the spider mites wee killing leaves too, between the mites and the exclude 1600 i used had to slow plts downa lil bit too

my plan,,,
just give plain water till they slow improvement
keep AC goin so temps are correct and RH is correct too
make sure spider mites dont come back.... i will keep on top, not an isse anymore
make sure light is not scorching them either,, btw, it is not

S

Shredder

I'm not familiar with your nutrients so I can't help there but your symptoms do sound like over watering. And you need to drill some drain holes in all your pots, that is pretty important. Check out the watering thread we have going right now for more details on watering......shredder

jyip

jyip

shredder, thx 4 ur time n info.... i had thought i was overwatering,and i def gotta make a couple drain holes in the bigger containers,,,,

i measured the PPM on the nutes i had feed it and they are up to low 900's actually was blinkin back n forth between 980 and the lower number 8 something, i forgot exact #, and i am gonna check pH, but am fairly certain that is ok, my local tap is fine the way it is, lucky me as it taste great too,
so i'm thinking these plts will start perkin up very soon, i used to quicker actions from the hydro, but temps, watering issue, nutes, and all other is getting dialed in somewhat, slowly, but surely

later w/pics, and

L

LUDACRIS.

Stunted growth and the shorening of internodes and nodes with dry rusty twisted leafes is a classic sign of spidermites. I have dealt with them on many grows and know exactelly what to look for. Some pics would help.

LUDA.
:worried

jyip

jyip

Stunted growth and the shorening of internodes and nodes with dry rusty twisted leafes is a classic sign of spidermites. I have dealt with them on many grows and know exactelly what to look for. Some pics would help.

LUDA.

thx for taking the time to read n all,,, ill will get pics soon, but i kno spidermites are there, not many, but eggs must b hatching n shit like that

u may be right cuz i thought they were all done, but i spotted some again and used 1600 X Clude to take care of them

i think that these plants never receovered from them 100% , and between the mites, the over feeding, and probably overwtaering, i effed em up to the point i wanna turn my light off....its geting to b waste of time almost,,,

new plan,
no more feeding
no more watering until each plant almost wilts, and then im will not give more thana 1/4 gal at a time..
keep temps in range of 65 night and 75 day
weekly treat for spider mites

and see what happens

and get pics up, but alot of fn leaves are gone or on their way to dying,,, yellowing, brown turned up tips,, brittle,, some are droopy n rubbery kinda,,, overall not healthy

i wanted to put them outside instead cuz of the spider mites, but not able to where i am right now,,too much goin on,,but if outside the spider mites would be gone

L

LUDACRIS.

thx for taking the time to read n all,,, ill will get pics soon, but i kno spidermites are there, not many, but eggs must b hatching n shit like that

u may be right cuz i thought they were all done, but i spotted some again and used 1600 X Clude to take care of them

i think that these plants never receovered from them 100% , and between the mites, the over feeding, and probably overwtaering, i effed em up to the point i wanna turn my light off....its geting to b waste of time almost,,,

new plan,
no more feeding
no more watering until each plant almost wilts, and then im will not give more thana 1/4 gal at a time..
keep temps in range of 65 night and 75 day
weekly treat for spider mites

and see what happens

and get pics up, but alot of fn leaves are gone or on their way to dying,,, yellowing, brown turned up tips,, brittle,, some are droopy n rubbery kinda,,, overall not healthy

i wanted to put them outside instead cuz of the spider mites, but not able to where i am right now,,too much goin on,,but if outside the spider mites would be gone

The best gear for mites is FLORAMITE. I had them once and it blew the mites away with one application.

LUDA.
:worried

jyip

jyip

i took pics, i just gotta load em up when cam battery is charged up

i watered them 2nite cuz one was starting 2 wilt...but i only wnet light watering w/straight water

3 gallons on 15 plts,, some in containers as large as 7-9 gal, a couple 5 gal buckets, and the rest r 4 gal,, so puttinga 1/3 gal on one of the bigger containers isnt overwatering is it?? I mean shit, i;m not stupid,,, i have grown alot of weed, it is embarrasing to post this crap, i shoulda just got rid of them over 2 months back cuz spider mites wer effing up bad,, but they recovered nicely, only to have me bring in a few more clones that were infested, even tho i keep them segged away from the Sm free plts, once in there, the others came back, mostly on the mk ultras, they same to get em bad, and i have some purple kush, they dont get em at all, and white widow gets destroyed by them, all 5 plts got slammed, and ii used some other poison the effed the plts up, then i realized when transplanting that they were overwatered cuz bottom part in pot was WET...its been a headache,,,

i will tell ya all later on the real kicker card to this story and youll laugh at me, and say wtf, r ya stupid,,, but its a lack of respect thing, cuz i think ya earn it, you cant wear it,, it'll make sense later trust me here!

so these freakin bitches r a head eff ache for sure,, but i want them cuz i want something good to smoke
blueberry, white widow, burmese kush, jamaican purple skunk, something called purple nib, looks lika kush 2 me, mk ultra, and afgani kush, and apurple urkle might be mixed it there

ja pruskunk is a sativa that i should but outside, in fact after i cut the tops off when the r thru budding, i am putting them outside

too much ramblin
but ya can geta laugh on me later..have fun w/it

L

LUDACRIS.

i took pics, i just gotta load em up when cam battery is charged up

i watered them 2nite cuz one was starting 2 wilt...but i only wnet light watering w/straight water

3 gallons on 15 plts,, some in containers as large as 7-9 gal, a couple 5 gal buckets, and the rest r 4 gal,, so puttinga 1/3 gal on one of the bigger containers isnt overwatering is it?? I mean shit, i;m not stupid,,, i have grown alot of weed, it is embarrasing to post this crap, i shoulda just got rid of them over 2 months back cuz spider mites wer effing up bad,, but they recovered nicely, only to have me bring in a few more clones that were infested, even tho i keep them segged away from the Sm free plts, once in there, the others came back, mostly on the mk ultras, they same to get em bad, and i have some purple kush, they dont get em at all, and white widow gets destroyed by them, all 5 plts got slammed, and ii used some other poison the effed the plts up, then i realized when transplanting that they were overwatered cuz bottom part in pot was WET...its been a headache,,,

i will tell ya all later on the real kicker card to this story and youll laugh at me, and say wtf, r ya stupid,,, but its a lack of respect thing, cuz i think ya earn it, you cant wear it,, it'll make sense later trust me here!

so these freakin bitches r a head eff ache for sure,, but i want them cuz i want something good to smoke
blueberry, white widow, burmese kush, jamaican purple skunk, something called purple nib, looks lika kush 2 me, mk ultra, and afgani kush, and apurple urkle might be mixed it there

ja pruskunk is a sativa that i should but outside, in fact after i cut the tops off when the r thru budding, i am putting them outside

too much ramblin
but ya can geta laugh on me later..have fun w/it

Measure the ph of your shower water as i just have a couple of hours a go and mine was a good 6.8ph so i stuck them all in the bath and washed them with warm shower water with the shower and let them dry with a fan before putting back under the lights. You should get used to doing this once a week and i will find the video to show you how i do wash. I will find it in my documents somewhere.

LUDA.
:)

L

LUDACRIS.

Measure the ph of your shower water as i just have a couple of hours a go and mine was a good 6.8ph so i stuck them all in the bath and washed them with warm shower water with the shower and let them dry with a fan before putting back under the lights. You should get used to doing this once a week and i will find the video to show you how i do wash. I will find it in my documents somewhere.

LUDA.

Here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5Wh8UqFKs&feature=related

LUDA.

C

campac medical

well i think i can help with this one bud, first off let me say that hydro does not beat soil, they might grow at a accerlated rate but its not natural an u will see the result in your final product, if your gonna grow soil you need to grow all organic, i dont know of a scotts brand soil that is all organic let alone a organic soil that has time realesed fertilizer in it, fox farm is one of the best pre made organic soils you can buy and it will only feed your plants for 30 days without additives, you burnt ur plants bad, combine that with bug problems and high temps and u kinda get where im going with this, try this next time you go with soil, and please dont go back to hydro cause of one bad soil grow if ya do it right ul never touch a hydro bud again, k try this next time, get 1.5 cubic ft(regular bag) fox farm ocean forest, 1 cubic ft. earthworth castings/or compost, mix earthworm castings in with ocean forest then add 1.5 cubic ft. perlite, then get add 1/4th cup soft rock phosphate an 1/4th cup gypsum, add 1/2 cup of dr.earth all purpose or happy frog all purpose, an then put 1 an 1/2 cups of powdered dolomite lime, you wont need to buy alota liquid nutrients, all i use is organic gems fish fertilizer in veg, un-sulphured mollasses thru last half of veg and first half of flower, and fox farm big bloom for flower, u get most of ur nute thru spikes and compost teas, to get a genral idea on compost tea's go to skunk magizine and check out the rev's compost teas and spikes he list most of mine are modeled off of his with alittle of my own twist thrown in, try it out keep it simple you dont need 10 liquid fertilizers to get a good harvest, jus try one crop like this you will see the difference, o i almost forgot u will wanna introduce mycro fungi an only use de-chlorinated water since chlorine is a bacteriacide found in all city water it will kill you benificial bacteria/fungi
keep it growing an remeber think global smoke local

L

LUDACRIS.

well i think i can help with this one bud, first off let me say that hydro does not beat soil, they might grow at a accerlated rate but its not natural an u will see the result in your final product, if your gonna grow soil you need to grow all organic, i dont know of a scotts brand soil that is all organic let alone a organic soil that has time realesed fertilizer in it, fox farm is one of the best pre made organic soils you can buy and it will only feed your plants for 30 days without additives, you burnt ur plants bad, combine that with bug problems and high temps and u kinda get where im going with this, try this next time you go with soil, and please dont go back to hydro cause of one bad soil grow if ya do it right ul never touch a hydro bud again, k try this next time, get 1.5 cubic ft(regular bag) fox farm ocean forest, 1 cubic ft. earthworth castings/or compost, mix earthworm castings in with ocean forest then add 1.5 cubic ft. perlite, then get add 1/4th cup soft rock phosphate an 1/4th cup gypsum, add 1/2 cup of dr.earth all purpose or happy frog all purpose, an then put 1 an 1/2 cups of powdered dolomite lime, you wont need to buy alota liquid nutrients, all i use is organic gems fish fertilizer in veg, un-sulphured mollasses thru last half of veg and first half of flower, and fox farm big bloom for flower, u get most of ur nute thru spikes and compost teas, to get a genral idea on compost tea's go to skunk magizine and check out the rev's compost teas and spikes he list most of mine are modeled off of his with alittle of my own twist thrown in, try it out keep it simple you dont need 10 liquid fertilizers to get a good harvest, jus try one crop like this you will see the difference, o i almost forgot u will wanna introduce mycro fungi an only use de-chlorinated water since chlorine is a bacteriacide found in all city water it will kill you benificial bacteria/fungi
keep it growing an remeber think global smoke local

LOL.

:sign0006:

jyip

jyip

first, i wanted to kinda explain this cuz it may be taken wrong,,,the short is simple,,,the lack of respect thing is towards LE" ,,, more later on....

thx luda for putting some time into my problems,,,
i have used the shower in the past, but do to BIG containers, not able to now,,,

but alls good, they are coming around nicely now...
it was due to me burning them w/too much ferts,, as i have a heavy hand sometimes, even tho i do kno better
and the spider mites too, and i am treating them as needed and staying ahead of them now,
and the high temps, which are almost too low now even

and i dont think i over watered them , but i really slowed down w/the water just in case
so thx again L..

campac medical

thx for the info,
i hear ya w/ soil vs hydro,,, i only meant faster growth cycle,,, not beating as in better than organic soil,,, it may outyeild, i dont kno, but i would rather have quality n taste

i had used a organic soilmix very similiar to what you posted for me

FFOF
eartworm castings
dolimite lime
blood meal
bone meal
perlite
and thats all i remember off the top of my head,, but i used to mix soil for outdoor containers and did great with it,,, i never tried indoors w/soilmix until now

one more question for ya tho k
how big a pot/container is big enuff? 4 gal should be fine to get them thru harvest right?
i kno ya gotta move em thru from smaller to larger in steps, and would go from 16 ounce cups to 1 gal 6 inch pots, then to 4 gal pots to finish,, thats good right?

i would switch over to organic soil and stay,,
BUT i have limited area to gro in,,,
-and with hydro i can fit 20-25 plants in my 4 x 4 ebb n flo tray where as i dont think i could fit that many plants in soilmix with the bigger pots ( i use 1 gal 6 inch pots w/hydro vs the 3-4 gal for soilmix )under my single 1 k hps
- i have back issues and very cramped area ( 7 x 9 ft floor space and 7 ft high,,, but due to ceiling design, not all floor area can be used to gro i can use 7 x 5 floor, but need to be able to move around plts too,,,and can only use single light due to elctrical constraints ) and soil gro involves more work,,,lugging the soilmix,,, lugging the water,,,
- i build the rooma round the 4 x 4 tray and that was tight,,,see in pic...

if things change and i can expand i would give soil a chance definately, but the only reason i went soil was cuz clones came in soil, and i was only flowerin em, so thats why i went w/cheapo scotts soil and stuff like that

i more than likely will be goin back to hydroton for medium, w/canna nutes as it was dialed in and i did quite few nice grows like this

thank you for takin the time to help me thru my problems,,much appreciated CM...and Luda too

i was gonna let peeps kno that the problems i described did slowly straighten out and it was definately that i burned them pretty bad,,, then the bugs didnt help, and the temps didnt help either,,, but one by one i eliminated the problems and now its going good again

i took pics, but couldnt get my camra to load ino my pc to show em

thx again,,pics w/harvest in 5 weeks +/-

these pics show the limited space i am dealing with,,,
the pic lookin down from light hood to smaller plants show limited floor space,, one side is tight to wall, one side has short ceiling height, one side has a foot of space to get to back side of tray, and the other side is where u get into the room
the empty tray pic
,,, down low pic showing the tight spacing,
a single plant showing a plant closer,,,
two pics are the same of the full tray,
and then the harvested plants

i ended up w/ 730 grams bud from the 4 x 4 tray on 40 gal res , 21 plants ... from a single 1 K hps lamp

it you think i can get similiar harvest with soilmix, i would switch to soil
what do ya think? is there room to get enuff plants to get a good crop ?? thx again
pEACE

does this make sense at all??

IMG 1319
IMG 1611
IMG 1734
IMG 1603
IMG 1565
IMG 1367
IMG 1654
jyip

jyip

an only use de-chlorinated water since chlorine is a bacteriacide found in all city water it will kill you benificial bacteria/fungi

i have really good water from tap, but the chlorine in water makes sense that it kill the benefits of a good organic soil mix as it would strip the good outta the soil,, i hear ya there too

the water is fine with pH around 6.5- 6.8,,, and 80 or so ppm... it has hardly no soduim in it, i gotta look at the thing the city sends me and check the chlorine tho

thx again

L

LUDACRIS.

first, i wanted to kinda explain this cuz it may be taken wrong,,,the short is simple,,,the lack of respect thing is towards LE" ,,, more later on....

i have used the shower in the past, but do to BIG containers, not able to now,,,

it was due to me burning them w/too much ferts,, as i have a heavy hand sometimes, even tho i do kno better
and the spider mites too, and i am treating them as needed and staying ahead of them now,

and i dont think i over watered them , but i really slowed down w/the water just in case
so thx again L..

campac medical

thx for the info,
i hear ya w/ soil vs hydro,,, i only meant faster growth cycle,,, not beating as in better than organic soil,,, it may outyeild, i dont kno, but i would rather have quality n taste

i had used a organic soilmix very similiar to what you posted for me

FFOF
eartworm castings
dolimite lime
blood meal
bone meal
perlite
and thats all i remember off the top of my head,, but i used to mix soil for outdoor containers and did great with it,,, i never tried indoors w/soilmix until now

one more question for ya tho k
how big a pot/container is big enuff? 4 gal should be fine to get them thru harvest right?
i kno ya gotta move em thru from smaller to larger in steps, and would go from 16 ounce cups to 1 gal 6 inch pots, then to 4 gal pots to finish,, thats good right?

i would switch over to organic soil and stay,,
BUT i have limited area to gro in,,,
-and with hydro i can fit 20-25 plants in my 4 x 4 ebb n flo tray where as i dont think i could fit that many plants in soilmix with the bigger pots ( i use 1 gal 6 inch pots w/hydro vs the 3-4 gal for soilmix )under my single 1 k hps
- i have back issues and very cramped area ( 7 x 9 ft floor space and 7 ft high,,, but due to ceiling design, not all floor area can be used to gro i can use 7 x 5 floor, but need to be able to move around plts too,,,and can only use single light due to elctrical constraints ) and soil gro involves more work,,,lugging the soilmix,,, lugging the water,,,
- i build the rooma round the 4 x 4 tray and that was tight,,,see in pic...

if things change and i can expand i would give soil a chance definately, but the only reason i went soil was cuz clones came in soil, and i was only flowerin em, so thats why i went w/cheapo scotts soil and stuff like that

i more than likely will be goin back to hydroton for medium, w/canna nutes as it was dialed in and i did quite few nice grows like this

thank you for takin the time to help me thru my problems,,much appreciated CM...and Luda too

i was gonna let peeps kno that the problems i described did slowly straighten out and it was definately that i burned them pretty bad,,, then the bugs didnt help, and the temps didnt help either,,, but one by one i eliminated the problems and now its going good again

the pic lookin down from light hood to smaller plants show limited floor space,, one side is tight to wall, one side has short ceiling height, one side has a foot of space to get to back side of tray, and the other side is where u get into the room
the empty tray pic

i ended up w/ 730 grams bud from the 4 x 4 tray on 40 gal res , 21 plants ... from a single 1 K hps lamp

it you think i can get similiar harvest with soilmix, i would switch to soil
what do ya think? is there room to get enuff plants to get a good crop ?? thx again
pEACE

Fuck thats a shitload of typing. LOL.
If you have any for me please single them out and i will be on it.
(as for washing your plants they can never be to big for a power shower)

Thanks.

CHRIS.

L

LUDACRIS.

i have really good water from tap, but the chlorine in water makes sense that it kill the benefits of a good organic soil mix as it would strip the good outta the soil,, i hear ya there too

the water is fine with pH around 6.5- 6.8,,, and 80 or so ppm... it has hardly no soduim in it, i gotta look at the thing the city sends me and check the chlorine tho

thx again

Tap water is good if its within the correct PH level. If you would drink it why not feed it to your plants ??????.
Would you buy and drink distilled water = NO Thanks (for me).

jyip

jyip

Originally Posted by jyip

so thx again L..

the empty tray pic

you think i can get similiar harvest with soilmix, i would switch to soil
pEACE

was 4 ya ,, the last parts were new topics somewhat tho
thx again chris

take care

L

LUDACRIS.

Tap water is good if its within the correct PH level. If you would drink it why not feed it to your plants ??????.
Would you buy and drink distilled water = NO Thanks (for me).

Tap water in most areas is highly chlorinated, this does not appear to harm Cannabis; and countless fine crops are raised with water straight from the tap.

Chlorine is introduced to water as the gas Cl(subscript)2 which formulates slightly acidic water, the chlorine could possibly influence the plants indirectly, by killing some beneficial microorganisms in the soil; however, neither effect is expected to be serious. Organochlorine takes longer than chlorine to dissipate, so the best procedure is allowing the water to stand in an open container for three days at room temperature.

If the water has dissolved CO2 in it (like some bottled water labeled as pure), the pH will rise as that comes out. Letting it sit out is used to evaporate the chlorine, which is fine if thats what your district uses. Some areas have switched to chloramine, which is chlorine and ammonia. This will not evaporate and you need a reverse-osmosis filter (or a distiller) to remove chloramine.

To determine which is in your water, have a sample tested or call your utility company. Even with chlorine or chloramine, your plants may grow fine from the tap, but if you wouldn't drink it, why should your plants?

(gfaq).

LUDA.

jyip

jyip

i almost forgot u will wanna introduce mycro fungi an only use de-chlorinated water since chlorine is a bacteriacide found in all city water it will kill you benificial bacteria/fungi

this is the problem with chrorinated water,, from what compac said,, but now i read ur stuff, personally, i dont kno if its a ploblem, or not,,,,

this soil may well be a onetime thing, i'm just tryin to get thru it with something decent is all, and ona budget bigtime

You on hydro ????

huh?

thx ltr chris

Top Bottom