Stunted Growth?

• Thread starter Akele
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Akele

So it's my first time growing this plant. It's ATF. Seeds from a reputable grower but who knows. I think they plant looks OK but it seems really short and bushy. Grew from seed 3 weeks ago. It's about 3-4 inches tall and about 10 inches in diameter. Grow environment is a very consistent 80F, 35% humidity. Lights are 1200 watt full spectrum led. Nutrients are aerated general hydroponics floragrow and floramicro at 25% strength in expanded clay. Light fans.

Should I be concerned? Otherwise it seems to have some crazy nodes going on :)

Stunted growth
Stunted growth 2
Stunted growth 3
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

looks healthy but for 3 weeks in that set up should be a long bigger but could b the strain how close is your light to the top of the plant?? and u done any topping ???

A

Akele

The light is about 2.5 feet away. I FIMed it 2 nights ago.

looks healthy but for 3 weeks in that set up should be a long bigger but could b the strain how close is your light to the top of the plant?? and u done any topping ???

A

Akele

It's a Sativa so I suspect it has a slightly longer veg but I was growing concerned. I grew 2 Bubba kush from 2 week old clones and they were nearly 2 feet high when I got them.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

sounds far away but id think that would make them taller not shorter got a pic of the roots plz??

Smerb

Smerb

If you have fimmed the plant can slow down a bit. It looks bushy. Give it some time.

A

Akele

Do you think the Hydro setup is causing the plant to divert all its energy to root production give the accessibility of nutrients? My last 2 were in soil.

Last edited:
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

for sure something going on should have way more roots u say room is always 80f sounds a lil hot already wonder how hot the rez water is the pumps get the water hot on there own is there a way u can take its temp??

Bannacis

Bannacis

From my experience with leds is that I get real short bushes, tight internode spacing. and that's with a 300 watter.So you might have to raise light even farther away. maybe 3-4 feet. if possible. that 1200 is a bit much for starts up to 3-4 weeks.
Is light dimmable? or do you have lower watt light?
Young plants from beginning do not require a high light source (indoor).With such a hi wattage and full spectrum its like light steroids... do some selective trimming to thin her out, or training and tying. in pics she don't look FIMed, but is growing nice and healthy. i'ld remove the bottom two branches close to medium.
She looks like a hybrid, there is some Indica,

A

Akele

Right on good advice. Using a laser temp reader I get low 70s on the leaf and consistent 84 in the water. Mind you it's about 5 degrees hotter than normal as the wife has been messing with the ac last few days :) BTW I posted another top view shot as I thought the symmetry was pretty unusual to me.

20170112 234840 604x805
20170112 234006 604x805
A

Akele

BTW I have a 400w apollo and a full spectrum hps bulb. That's what I used last time. I'd hate to switch back but maybe I have to at the moment. Or get some some of neutral density filter like on cameras to knock it down a few photons :)

H

Hoagie

So it's my first time growing this plant. It's ATF. Seeds from a reputable grower but who knows. I think they plant looks OK but it seems really short and bushy. Grew from seed 3 weeks ago. It's about 3-4 inches tall and about 10 inches in diameter. Grow environment is a very consistent 80F, 35% humidity. Lights are 1200 watt full spectrum led. Nutrients are aerated general hydroponics floragrow and floramicro at 25% strength in expanded clay. Light fans.

Should I be concerned? Otherwise it seems to have some crazy nodes going on :)

H

Hoagie

That plant is real nice, the secondary groths is what excited me, u know how to scrog a plant, build string grids, run plant below grid, controlling branches when I feel its right bring tip of each branch thru it'd own hole don't allow any brother to grow below scrog hit second scrog, do same thing, come thru second scrog, u know turned that one plant into a bunch of main tops, u van scrog again, indoors u control budding, the guy that taught me got 29 oz off 1 plant, my friend got 3 pounds outdoors, grow them hog legs!!!

A

Akele

That plant is real nice, the secondary groths is what excited me, u know how to scrog a plant, build string grids, run plant below grid, controlling branches when I feel its right bring tip of each branch thru it'd own hole don't allow any brother to grow below scrog hit second scrog, do same thing, come thru second scrog, u know turned that one plant into a bunch of main tops, u van scrog again, indoors u control budding, the guy that taught me got 29 oz off 1 plant, my friend got 3 pounds outdoors, grow them hog legs!!!

That's fantastic advice, thanks! And wow that's some pretty crazy yield. I'll be lucky to get that but I'm gonna give it a shot ;)

A

Akele

I figured I would post an update for that are interested.

So I switched back to my 400 watt hps setup and the plant started to slowly stretch out. I'm not familiar with the strain so I'm not sure if that's just in its genetics. I'll test a couple clones under both conditions to be sure. I now have a healthy root ball and decent vertical growth though so either way I'm happy.

For the moment I just have it wired upright on some bamboo as its a heavy bushy plant and it was starting to droop. I Just did that now which is why some the leaves look a bit crazy in the pics. As suggested I'll probably use some form of SoG when I have time.

It's coming up on 1 month. Probably going to give it another before I switch to 12/12.

20170125 222319 604x805
20170125 223032 604x805
20170125 222325 604x805
20170125 235215 604x805
T

TripC

Akele,

Your plant looks much better now! The light I think was a factor. Like one user said earlier, 1200W LED was probably too much light for a 3 week old plant. If it's not reasonable to lift to 3-4 feet above, I'd say don't use the 1200W LED until at least 6 weeks into the plant's life. Best of luck. Please continue to update periodically. Would love to see her right before you put her into 12/12.

-TripC

Top Bottom