Stunted Plants in Pots

• Thread starter HydroRocks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HydroRocks

HydroRocks

I saw this article posted and thought it was really interesting...

Lead researcher Hendrik Poorter, from the Julich research institute in Germany, told BBC Nature that as soon as he saw the results, he re-potted all of his houseplants.
"I thought, you poor guys, what have I done to you?" he recalled.
For the imaging study the research team focused on two species - sugarbeet and barley.
Dr Poorter's colleague Dagmar van Dusschoten produced the MRI scans. The technique, used widely in medicine, reveals the water molecules within the plant roots.
The resulting 3D map of the roots' structure stretching to the outer limits of the pot shows, for the first time, exactly how restricted potted plants are.
In their experiments on 80 different species, the team found that doubling a pot's size caused a plant to grow almost half as big again.
Plants grown in pots never reach their full potential, images of their roots show.
A medical imaging technique called magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has been used by researchers to capture plant pot root snapshots.

The pictures reveal that the roots "sense the size of the pot" and restrict the growth of the plant.

The findings have been presented at the Society for Experimental Biology's annual meeting in Salzburg, Austria

"The most surprising thing is that there seems to be no end to the pot limitation," explained Dr Poorter.
"For every plant species we looked at, pot size was the factor limiting its growth."
'Happy' plantsWithin as little as two weeks of seeds being sown, the scientist explained, a plant's roots would stretch to the edge of the pot and then, "the trouble starts".
"When they reach the edge, they send some kind of signal to the shoots to say, 'there's a problem - stop growing'."
Each plant appeared to be trying to escape its pot; more than three quarters of the root system was in the outer half of the container.
"The inside of the pot is hardly used," explained Dr Poorter.
Research in this subject has, in the past, focused on pot size from the perspective of how small a container plants can be grown in, as the aim is to grow as many plants as possible per square metre in a commercial setting.
But Dr Poorter said: "We want to make plants as happy as possible."
Although this may sound sentimental, understanding a plant's full potential is crucial for the researchers that study them; it reveals how much of a parallel can be drawn between studies carried out in the lab and how plants would grow in nature.

"Even the largest pot was not large enough not to limit growth."

Prof Andrew Fleming from the University of Sheffield said the use of MRI was a "neat approach" to studying plants.
He told BBC Nature: "It shows how novel (live) imaging can be used to provide new insights into how plants actually grow."

Stunted plants in pots

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

I would say yes.....my thought is that the roots would still hit the edge of the smart pot, and not be able to go any further, just as they cant in a regular pot and would send the "trouble" signal as the article mentioned.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Hmmmmm......I was just thinking that if this is accurate, there should be a way to "trick" the plant into thinking it has unlimited root space and one way to do that might be to make a base to the pot that the roots can grow into or reach, and then spiral that base around itself over lapping and under lapping to create a type of "endless" tunnel so the roots never reach a "edge".

cannabeans

cannabeans

Each plant appeared to be trying to escape its pot; more than three quarters of the root system was in the outer half of the container.
"The inside of the pot is hardly used," explained Dr Poorter.
What I have noticed with smart pots is that the whole container gets used, including the inside. The rootballs are extremely thick and dense with fiberous roots. Plants always seem to grow better in smart pots. I guess it would be tough for us to say, I dont have an MRI machine.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

I like coco in hardpots for the way it dries out more evenly in my gardens. Cool article HR

K

kushtrees

Was this study done with only soil or also a soilless media, that's going to make a difference for sure. Plus with plastic pots you get the root spiraling once they hit the wall, smart pots are supposed to eliminate this

green punk

green punk

Hmmmmm......I was just thinking that if this is accurate, there should be a way to "trick" the plant into thinking it has unlimited root space and one way to do that might be to make a base to the pot that the roots can grow into or reach, and then spiral that base around itself over lapping and under lapping to create a type of "endless" tunnel so the roots never reach a "edge".

They' re called "AirPots" Try them. Work great especially on moms.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

I have tried and used air pots as well as smart pots for MANY years now, and I assure you neither of those options is even close to what I am talking about. But thanks anyways greenpunk.

Smart pots and air pots are designed to stop plants from getting "ROOT BOUND", by causing secondary root fibers to be generated.

We are not talking about that here at all......so I honestly do not really even see the relevance...

In my mind, some testing is in order as I do not think this information automatically becomes null just because your using a air pot or smart pot. This is relatively new information.....and honestly I do not see how either a air pot or a smart pot will stop roots from reaching a "edge" as both smart pots and air pots have "edges" and limit root space which is the core of the issue so to speak.

Just because the smart part or the air pots allows or causes secondary root fibers to emerge, does not mean the "stop growing" signal is still not being generated and sent when the root first reaches the edge of the smart or air pot...

This is about getting the plant to grow to its max......this is about removing restrictions that might hinder this, it is also called "full genetic expression" and to reach that, you have to give the plant damn near perfect conditions.

We already know many limiting factors that cause plants to NOT grow or reach there max potential.......

K

kushtrees

I kind of doubt the return for using enourmous pots is worth the cost at least inside. Plus you loose a lot of control of the root zone the 2nd you put it the ground which may provide more limiting growt factors... I would love to see the study and not the interview

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

^Agreed, ever transplant and flip later only to notice the roots didnt fill and wasnt uptaking as well? I have in all sorts of pots. ONly one way to find out make your little pot system deal and put to the test. Im interested in your findings

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

I wish like hell that they would have included smart pots and air pots.......I wonder if I can schedule a MRI with my doctor and I could just put the smart pots on the table that goes into the MRI chamber......

Im sure that smart pots and air pots both would help to alleviate this problem. Even if the roots that first reach the edge send a trouble signal, you have secondary roots coming behind those, and then when those reach the edge, the next set emerges, and so on......

So technically I could see how even if smart pots do not stop the effect, it could make it's effects very minor I guess you could say......

I would love to "see" though on actual MRI photo as in the original testing with regular plastic pots.

Top Bottom