Sudden Taco Leaves Only On New Growth

• Thread starter Ronnie88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

However, if the leaves are really rolling rater than curling - the leaf sides cup/roll/fold up so they look like a taco shell - then it is stress. ID and eliminate the stress cause and the plants recover quickly.

Tomato leaf roll is common and often discussed here on the Tomato forum (lots of posts if you want to read them). The name of the condition is "Tomato Leaf Roll" and is defined at a physiological response of the plant to one of the stress factors such as excess water/rain, inconsistent soil moisture levels, pests such as aphids, whiteflies or thrips, over-fertilization, over-crowding, high winds, etc. etc.

Tomato Leaf Roll does not kill plants. It may reduce production because of the stress but the plants will survive and recover IF you eliminate the problem.
found this on another gardening site

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

also if your running co2 then just thought id mention increased co2 can also cause symptoms like this to show....not cause this, but cause this to show up more

G gnome

G gnome

Nah don't think so. That room has 1 fan and blows above the canopy. My environment is in check.
I have that taco thing happen to me on 1 specific plant when it gets hit too hard w wind. Thought I'd ask.

K

kolah

I sure hope you ain't got a broadmite issue going on. A quick scope can easily rule them in or out. Lots of growers got mites last year so maybe I am just paranoid/cautious.

For plant nute/deficiencies/lock-out I dont "guess around" and toy with stuff. I just flush them and start new.

Last edited:
R

Ronnie88

did you say 2 feeds, and one water...@ 2EC? that is good for a full mature plant in full bloom at peak growth...even for me thats high...i got max at 1.4-1.7 EC, and i feed water feed water....

you must remember, the more intense the light, the more water and less nutes the plants will want to drink, so over time the nutes will concentrate themselves because the plants will be drinking more water and the salts will continuously build up, until the plant can no longer transpire correctly...

not saying htis is for sure your problem, but it is what i am thinking at this point...

how old are your plants? or how tall?

a buddy of mine just had some issues with his plants, he never had these issues before, so i asked him how his plants looked, imediately o tild him over fert, he said thats impossible....i then asked him how he feeds, he said 1000 ppm every watering, lol i asked him why? he said because our mutual friend trold him i fertilize every watering lol...i laughed because when i do fertilize every watering, i fertilize @ max 650ppm, and make sure to have 20% runoff each time i water, he was ferting at 1000ppm every watering with no runoff.....

thats another thing, runoff, you need to have between 10-20% runoff everytime, of not, you will have salt build up, if you want to have less runoff, you need to cut your nutes by 1/3 to 1/2

They are 24" tall, no Co2 in the affected room but i do have it in the other 2. I dont feed everytime with 2.0 EC just never over, usually around 640 tds.

R

Ronnie88

Took about 2 cups of dirt from the base of the bed mixed with 2 cups of 0 tds water, stirred 210 tds. Yesterday I feed with 840 tds, then I hit them with a dose of plantacilin at around 400 tds. Even if you double the soil tds 420 shouldnt cause that ugly nasty leaf curl. IMO,

It's not something basic guys. The plants 2 plants over are huge and thriving.... Until this spreads there.

Last edited:
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Took about 2 cups of dirt from the base of the bed mixed with 2 cups of 0 tds water, stirred 210 tds. Yesterday I feed with 840 tds, then I hit them with a dose of plantacilin at around 400 tds. Even if you double the soil tds 420 shouldnt cause that ugly nasty leaf curl. IMO,

It's not something basic guys. The plants 2 plants over are huge and thriving.... Until this spreads there.
seems to happen only on the newest growth? from that pic, it seems all the old growth is fine, but the new growth is fucked....that las pic def looks liek broad mites attack...

on the other hand, if your so sure its your soil, a simple fix would be to toss out all the soil and change it out.....but if you want to be sure first, run a few plants in come containers right beside them, if it happens to them also, then its bugs or your environment...if it doesnt happen to them then its clearly in your soil

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I def think the plant is stressed because of all the seeds in the bud at harvest
yeah that is for sure stressed, but do you see any nanners? like for the seeds to show up they must have been polinated somewhere...

anyways, thought you should check this out....

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/russet-mites.64947/

if its none of the othe rthings we mentioned, then my money is on the russet mites bro...watch the vids closely,,,looks like you pics man, everything looks nice in your pics except the tops...

Last edited:
R

Ronnie88

No herms. I honestly think it's a reaction to the stress in the plant. It's gonna die so it freaks out and shoots seeds.

I've looked into broad mites before and they really suck the color out of the new growth.

Russet mites I looked into too but I never seen the vids you posted. They really look promising although I've hit them hard with my fogger before with all sorts of essential oils, bennies and even avid. I'll try the diatomaceous earth tomorrow and give a better look with a scope where he mentioned.

Thanks again for your time.

R

Ronnie88

Can't find any russets. I fogged them with citrinella and geranium oil and neem. Just had to cut down another 3 that were toast. Roots are strong though. Here's so pics of the developing buds. You can see how the bud is already deformed.

K

kolah

Russet, broad and cyclamen mites are very hard to see even with a 30-100x microscope. They hide in the cracks and crevices of the plant. And the eggs often look like trichomes and/or water droplets. I'd do a double check and have someone else take a look as well.pes f mites

IMO, often these 3 types of mites are "The Great Imposters"... you think its a mineral deficiency, a nute problem, a lock-out, stress, too much heat, too much light, etc etc etc and by time you finally figure it out they wipe out all your plants.

Offdarips

Offdarips

No herms. I honestly think it's a reaction to the stress in the plant. It's gonna die so it freaks out and shoots seeds.

I've looked into broad mites before and they really suck the color out of the new growth.

Russet mites I looked into too but I never seen the vids you posted. They really look promising although I've hit them hard with my fogger before with all sorts of essential oils, bennies and even avid. I'll try the diatomaceous earth tomorrow and give a better look with a scope where he mentioned.

Thanks again for your time.

If you have broads or russet I would hit them up with Conserve SC @ 6 ml per gal. Then 3 days later with forbid & avid mix together, I also use pure Kapow I spray every 3 days in rotation untill there gone.

R

Ronnie88

Russet, broad and cyclamen mites are very hard to see even with a 30-100x microscope. They hide in the cracks and crevices of the plant. And the eggs often look like trichomes and/or water droplets. I'd do a double check and have someone else take a look as well.pes f mites

IMO, often these 3 types of mites are "The Great Imposters"... you think its a mineral deficiency, a nute problem, a lock-out, stress, too much heat, too much light, etc etc etc and by time you finally figure it out they wipe out all your plants.
Regardless of whether or not I can see them, I've sprayed with avid and it still spreads. I'm on agricultural land and have recently come to the conclusion that there may be a spread of the pesticide grazon/ aminopyralid aka weed killer. Trace amount some how somewhere, doesn't degrade for 3 years!

hogheaven

hogheaven

I know this probably isn't the case here but can taco leaves be genetic? I always assumed it was due to a strain that did it when others didn't. I also had someone suggest it was a systemic plant virus

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I know this probably isn't the case here but can taco leaves be genetic? I always assumed it was due to a strain that did it when others didn't. I also had someone suggest it was a systemic plant virus
no its environment, nutrient and bug related...if it does it to only one strain, then that just means that specific strain is more delicate than others.....

its kind of like orchids, there are many many varieties, some like more water than others, some if you water too much they will die, others thrive on it...some like a stronger nutrient dose, others not so much, some prefer more light than others...ect.....get my point?...

us as growers tend to forget this, myself included, but the fact is not every strain likes what each other strain will like, and when you introduce a new strain in the garden your fast to notice it lol

Top Bottom