sugar in tea, molasses and cane sugar?

• Thread starter Dr.Doe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dr.Doe

I was wondering if adding cane sugar and molasses would be redundant? I've read on hear about sucanat which is cane sugar with a higher molasses ratio and figured if I couldn't find any then some regular cane sugar and some molasses would be fine? It made sense to me at first but now it just seems like overkill...

This is going to be my first tea and I don't wanna over do anything. This is also the first time I actually treated my soil ahead of time, it's nothing special just some EWC, dolomite, trace minerals, FF murine cuisine and some AN piranha. Added everything to the soil and watered lightly while turning for a little over 3 weeks, wasn't sure how to add the piranha so I diluted it down like normal and sprayed it on the soil while it was "cooking". I know it doesn't activate until it touches roots but I thought it would be best spreading it out evenly...

Since I'm here maybe you could let me know if I'm missing anything crucial in my tea before I get started, from what I read it seems like I'm good to go...
-Cow manure compost (couldn't find any mushroom)
-FF murine Cuisine (fish/crab/shrimp/kelp/blood and cottonseed meal, bat and seabird guano )
-Molasses and/or Cane sugar
-Earthworm castings
-AN piranha
and I was thinking of going out and buying some seaweed(dulce) from the grocery store to chop up and add.

Been lurking for years and years.....and that was before I signed up;) Thank you!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
that looks lie a great tea. I would use the molasses over the cane sugar for its mineral content.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

That ACT looks good, honestly you should consider OG Bio War instead of AN Piranha, way more concentrated, wider range of species and inexpensive. I just got my order 2 days ago and I can see the difference. I actually burned my seedlings because the bennies help improve nutrient uptake so good that I had to lower my EC, hahaa. Everything else looks great though, good luck.

Oh yeah, and alfalfa is great to use in ACT's too.

D

Dr.Doe

I just finished setting up my first ACT and in 24 hours I should have some great tea for my girls. I added an extra half gallon of water(1.5 gallons total) because it looked really shallow in the 5 gallon bucket, I assume that's not a problem? I looked up that alfalfa and I almost feel stupid for not already having it and that OG Bio looks great also, I'll have to see if the hydro store has it although I doubt it.

This was my mix this time...
-1/2 cup cow manure compost
-1/2 cup EWC
-1/2 cup FF murine cuisine
-1 tsp AN piranha
-1 tsp chelated minerals
-1 tbs molasses
-1.5 gallons of water

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Your ACT looks great and the OG Bio War will only help, but your gonna have to buy it online. Good luck and I'm sure that tea will do good for your plants.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Looks good, I have used many different sugars. I can tell you that a little goes a long way, and I think you should use one or the other, not both.
I just finished setting up my first ACT and in 24 hours I should have some great tea for my girls. I added an extra half gallon of water(1.5 gallons total) because it looked really shallow in the 5 gallon bucket, I assume that's not a problem? I looked up that alfalfa and I almost feel stupid for not already having it and that OG Bio looks great also, I'll have to see if the hydro store has it although I doubt it.

This was my mix this time...
-1/2 cup cow manure compost
-1/2 cup EWC
-1/2 cup FF murine cuisine
-1 tsp AN piranha
-1 tsp chelated minerals
-1 tbs molasses
-1.5 gallons of water
Keep it simple.

D

Dr.Doe

I thought the compost was a key part of the tea...? I also thought I was keeping it simple compared to others, I'd rather keep it simple. Thanks for the tips

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The basic tea recipe is worm castings + molasses + water. That's it. When you compost manure you risk generating ammonia and microbes that you're not after. If you've scoped a tea made with the cow manure compost and have verified that you're growing the critters you want, then disregard. However, I personally think the addition of that compost is not needed (along with the other stuff I crossed out). You can even leave out the minerals and just use them for feeding.

May I assume you've read through microbeorganics.com? If not, you might want to give that site a gander. :)

D

Dr.Doe

I have not read through that site, I'll give it a look tonight. I'm not sure what exactly I wanted out of this tea and I guess that's the main problem right now but I'm sure that site is what I need.

squiggly

squiggly

I do recommend that teas include a small dose of micronutrients. Their necessity as cofactors for bacterial enzymes cannot be overstated.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Any sugar will work as food. The more complex the carbohydrate the longer it will take to break down and may provide other nutrients. Choose one. Keep it simple and aerate well!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have not read through that site, I'll give it a look tonight. I'm not sure what exactly I wanted out of this tea and I guess that's the main problem right now but I'm sure that site is what I need.
If your goal is to culture microbes, that site is exactly what you need. Microbeman has done the most work on this stuff (aerated compost tea, or actively aerated compost tea) and his work is cited all *over* the place, including by many (organic production) professionals. If your goal is to do it right for the least cost, again, that site is what you need. I believe that we've discussed using other sugars and he has relayed that he hasn't tried making teas with anything other than molasses. However, there's a group of people who are playing around with sprouting different grains and seeds, including BARLEY. And I capitalize this because for quite a few years now I've been using leftover malted barley extract, both in teas and feeds, to some very nice results.

Look up secondary plant metabolites, and you'll begin to understand why the sprout teas, and why malted barley might be helpful in cultivation. ;)
I do recommend that teas include a small dose of micronutrients. Their necessity as cofactors for bacterial enzymes cannot be overstated.
I'd actually defer to Microbeman on that one, he's got the scope time & experience to really discuss responses, on a group by group basis. E.G. he no longer recommends using kelp in teas, as he's found it actually does not help boost any populations--bacteria, protozoa, or fungi--that we're after in this context. However, it certainly adds to the nutrient profile, irrespective of whether or not it helps us culture microorganisms. As would adding micros in whatever form; E.G. Azomite, bentonite, kaolin clay, volcanic rock dusts, or a liquid.

Back to the OP and subject at hand;
Now, if your goal is to feed nutrients, that can also be achieved via ACT, but I personally feel that some care should be taken when using some ingredients for teas, mostly manures from vertebrates. This stance comes from food handling experience/mindset and really nothing else.

Just remember that the worm castings are your inoculant and source of some nutrients, and the sugar feeds bacteria.

D

Dr.Doe

I have a bunch of these powdered AN nutrients laying around(carbo load, bud blood and big bud)and the liquid "sensi bloom A&B", will these kill the bacteria? The plants have been doing so good using only a half-assed soil mix and aact's I wouldn't want to ruin what little culture I have. The plants are doing fine but they could be doing better!

ttystikk

ttystikk

That ACT looks good, honestly you should consider OG Bio War instead of AN Piranha, way more concentrated, wider range of species and inexpensive. I just got my order 2 days ago and I can see the difference. I actually burned my seedlings because the bennies help improve nutrient uptake so good that I had to lower my EC, hahaa. Everything else looks great though, good luck.

Oh yeah, and alfalfa is great to use in ACT's too.

Funny I just saw this tonight, as I am even now draining a batch of alfalfa tea into a bucket to be my ACT base. Rock n roll!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have a bunch of these powdered AN nutrients laying around(carbo load, bud blood and big bud)and the liquid "sensi bloom A&B", will these kill the bacteria? The plants have been doing so good using only a half-assed soil mix and aact's I wouldn't want to ruin what little culture I have. The plants are doing fine but they could be doing better!
The Bud Blood and Big Bud will kill microbes, the Carbo-Load shouldn't, as long as it's just carbs/aminos/sugars.

D

Dr.Doe

Thanks...and the liquid sensi bloom? My first grow not using pre-made store bought chemicals and also one of my best.... can't wait until I get the hang of things.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's in it, and what are the numbers? I haven't used anything like that in a long time.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

CompstTEAMan5th2

D

Dr.Doe

I'm finished this round and didn't use any kind of chemicals, only the above products and a couple new myco nutrients(?) cyclo-organic and better world. It was extremely successful. I'm starting up another round and grabbed some alfalfa meal, rock phosphate, pyro clay and this premade tea that i'm really not so sure I should use.... It was cheap and bought only for the purpose of testing it, I questioned the ability of the microbes availability/longevity and he tried telling me they are there and dormant and the mix has to be bubbled like any other tea. Seemed like a load of BS to me but figured there was at the very least a nice mix of nutrients in it. but as i'm leaving the guy was like..."oh ya, you might not want to get any of that on your hands, it's got E.Coli in it...".

I have 2 questions if you guys don't mind.... 1) Should I toss the soil or amend it again, I've read that the built up culture is very beneficial but the chance of over saturation of some nutrients might occur if not tested first. Is it worth it to try or should I get some more experience under my belt? 2) Should I toss the ready made tea mix or just be really careful and try it at least once?.... not gonna lie, don't feel like getting E.Coli!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your replies.

Top Bottom