Suggestions for a 5 ton AC unit?

• Thread starter mello
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mello

mello

Hello Farmers,

My collective's current setup is running 12k worth of lights, burning CO2 at 1500 ppm, 3 dehu's at 40%, in a decently sealed basement room.

We currently have a 4 ton unit and it doesn't appear to be able to keep up with the heat we're creating. It's gotten to the point where the exterior fan is making considerable noise and the consensus is that we need a bigger unit.

That being said, I'm hoping some of you may have suggestions of brands/models. Also, we have an HVAC guy available so precharged lines are not a requirement.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hello Farmers,

My collective's current setup is running 12k worth of lights, burning CO2 at 1500 ppm, 3 dehu's at 40%, in a decently sealed basement room.

We currently have a 4 ton unit and it doesn't appear to be able to keep up with the heat we're creating. It's gotten to the point where the exterior fan is making considerable noise and the consensus is that we need a bigger unit.

That being said, I'm hoping some of you may have suggestions of brands/models. Also, we have an HVAC guy available so precharged lines are not a requirement.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Check with your guy. I'm a HVAC tech. If quiet is what you want then I would do 2 inverter style mini splits. They are the quietest. If you want only 1 unit then look at Trane or Luxaire (York's residential brand). Good luck.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
John made some good suggestions for a/c's. Have you considered a chiller system for air conditioning? There are outdoor units and indoor units just like with air conditioning, the difference is that you would pass water in between instead. If power is expensive then you might want to think about it. Cost more up front but the energy savings are pretty signficant and you can install yourself. If you have an old unit a chiller system can save you 30%-40% easily on your cooling costs.

F

fasteddy0

John made some good suggestions for a/c's. Have you considered a chiller system for air conditioning? There are outdoor units and indoor units just like with air conditioning, the difference is that you would pass water in between instead. If power is expensive then you might want to think about it. Cost more up front but the energy savings are pretty signficant and you can install yourself. If you have an old unit a chiller system can save you 30%-40% easily on your cooling costs.

Do you have any more information on a cooling system like this? Possibly links to the system, or a link to a room that is running a system like this?

mello

mello

CannabisJohn, thank you for the reply. Quiet is what I'm looking for as noise is a concern. Can you elaborate on these "2 inverter units" as I'm unfamiliar with the terminology. Any recommendation on brands/models?

Chillville, thank you for your input as well. Some more information on your suggestion would be appreciated. Power is not overly expensive in my area but I'd like to explore all my options.

Cheers!

blazer

blazer

Yep I second the two mini-splits(ductless split) good to have two if one goes down whole room not down.
inverter units are super efficient and super quiet.they invert a/c voltage to dc able to run compressor at variable speed than a single set speed so when it runs it only runs at the capacity you need which makes it so efficent. recommend Fujitsu, sanyo, mitsubishi those are some manufacturers.u would be impressed on how quiet they are compared to a standard unit,almost silent when running on low.hope that helps with your decision!:stonedsmilie:

mello

mello

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning towards a mini-split but I'm intrigued by the water cooled systems.

Chillville, can you recommend a size for the setup I described?
Is the chiller sold separately from the air handler?
How is the noise level on the chiller?

Thanks in advance!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning towards a mini-split but I'm intrigued by the water cooled systems.

Chillville, can you recommend a size for the setup I described?
Is the chiller sold separately from the air handler?
How is the noise level on the chiller?

Thanks in advance!

I know a good quality mini is about 60 decibels on outdoor unit. If you get 2 mini splits (2.5-3 tons each) then if 1 unit breaks you still have some cooling. Mitsubishi is one brand that you can get online. Get a 15 seer or above inverter type unit. A chiller is a possibility but have Chillville help with your sizing.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

In the past I have purchased Comfort Air units and they have worked quite well.

B

BigAL

Hello. Can somebody explain to me how to hook up a chiller to the 5 ton heat pump unit i just purchased. THanks. I am ripping my hair.

B

BigAL

Need help with 5 ton and chiller install

Can anyone help. Just purchased a 5 ton climatemaster. I need to connect a chiller to it. Please help with install instructions. and how big of a resevoir i need to make it work. THanks. :help::help:

mello

mello

Yo BigAl, I don't really mind you asking here but you might have better luck starting your own thread.

Good luck.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Can anyone help. Just purchased a 5 ton climatemaster. I need to connect a chiller to it. Please help with install instructions. and how big of a resevoir i need to make it work. THanks. :help::help:

I assumed that the heat pump is water cooled. If not forget it. If water cooled then send discharge water (coldest water) from rez to inlet of water cooled condenser of heat pump. Then connect outlet of heat pump back to rez. Then have a separate pump to circ water between rez and chiller. How big is your chiller (tonnage)? Also don't run the chiller below 70F or so. You will need a pump that moves 8-10 gallons per minute. The smaller the chiller the larger the rez. I wouldn't suggest a chiller smaller than 2 hp to attempt this. At that small I would suggest a 400-500 gallon rez. Mainly because the smaller the chiller the longer it takes to recool the rez. for reuse. These are only educated guesses. I am not an engineer just a HVAC tech. Good luck.

L

lsdn420

You may be able to do it with a 2 ton chiller as John has suggested, but I typically would not recommend that. It would only work with a 2 ton chiller if you are only removing 2 tons of heat with your 5 ton air handler, or your reservoir sits at a lower ambient temperature than the temperature of the water you need to run through the unit in order to remove the heat.

If you have a 5 ton air handler, and it is removing actually 5 tons of heat from the room via the refrigerant, and you are going to transfer 5 tons of heat into a reservoir then you would need a 5 ton chiller to remove that amount of heat from your reservoir. All you are doing in all cooling/heating applications is essentially transferring the heat around.

From what I gather in your application you are creating heat with your lights, removing that heat via the refrigerant in your Climatemaster air handler, and then transferring that heat into a reservoir via water. And now, you must remove the heat from the reservoir with a chiller. Maybe I missed something, and if so please let me know. I think that the unit you are using was mainly designed to be used in a geothermal loop or well application. Cheers.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Go with a goodman 13 seer or higher system, don't mess around your burnning 12k thats alot of shit going on & you need a real system !!
I bought a GoodMan 3.5 ton split system from this place they are the best priced that I could find, there are 5 ton split systems with the matched air handler that you will need. :pimp: http://www.acwholesalers.com/

blazer

blazer

Would recommend going with more of a name brand for reliability or parts availability.also you wont get the inverter at 13 seer.inverter is where u get the efficiency and super quiet running.they are more costly but you would be much happier in long run.definitely worth it.check out the Fujitsu halcyon hybrids they Are set up where u can link units. Also have the multi zone systems like your link.fwiw!

S

Seed Buyer

I would stay away from acwholesalers at all cost. They have cheap prices but if there is a problem they will give you the shaft. I have a hook up for ac units at wholesale cost and don't mind sharing with fellow site members.

Latest posts

Top Bottom