Super encrypted blackberry

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

My mate got pulled over a few months ago by the traffic cops.....because he was on the phone, a blackberry. They took his phone to use it as evidence to show his call logs. The minute he got into the office he sent a remote erase command and it wiped the entire phone...bye bye evidence :) (it's a security feature for when people lose their phones)

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
james bond gear wish i had 1 of them.lol

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Cool Logic. Thats brilliant FF. I want one also.

M

Mr Green

hey fastforward!!! can you find out from your friend which blackberry he had that has a erase command

F

Fred Norris

thats very cool. i know people who throw out their phone every few weeks for security reasons.personally, i'd rather buy this phone and not have shitty 20 pre paids.

F

FastForward

hey fastforward!!! can you find out from your friend which blackberry he had that has a erase command

I'm pretty sure all recent Blackberry models do it - although it's an admin level thing, not a standard user function (so that sysadmins can sleep at night when users leave their phones on trains, packed with sensitive info and contacts)

W

wpg_breeder

iv always used blackberry to blackberry encrypted message and wondered how secure it really is? supposedly it cuts out 3rd party sending!

K

Kalcu

Ya companies have so much espionage, comes a long with free trade. Nothing is uncrackable, but the local cops aren't all that different than average Joes.

A company can spend a lot on cracking if they want to and have the very best retired spooks doing it for them. You would be surprised how many retired spooks make a very nice living working for companies doing the same thing they did when in service (and they really don't retire that much).

A

ask420

I'm pretty sure all recent Blackberry models do it - although it's an admin level thing, not a standard user function (so that sysadmins can sleep at night when users leave their phones on trains, packed with sensitive info and contacts)

True, about blackberries having that erase command and it being an admin function and all. It requires that you have a BES server (blackberry enterprise server) software configured on a microsoft exchange server in order for you to get that nice little feature. (That equates to big bucks.) That's why its usually a company that has these privileges.

You can setup a blackberry for a password lock and after the tenth unsuccessful login it will wipe the phone clean. Anyone can set that up out the box.

T

todgerdelburro

I know people who work @ Blackberry and have some understanding of the system architecture, unless they have changed it all recently [I seriously doubt that] it is still just Microsoft Exchange Server underneath all the clever push tech.

It is not secure in any shape or form IMO, if the NSA are telling you it is 'safe' then, going by their behaviour historically, IT IS DEFINITELY NOT .... Read up about the Encryption the USA gave to governments worldwide for secure comms... how kind... except they had a back door, so when the Argentinians invaded the Falklands, starting the Falkland War, the British were given the key by the USA and we had total access to all the Argentinian 'secure' comms......

I also seem to remember they would not allow GSM phones in the USA untill they could hack them, if they are endorsing a 3K phone that is 'secure' I would personally go 'all in' saying it is not. Thinking about it, from their POV, anybody spending 3k on a 'secure' phone is probably going to have some pretty interesting things to say and are going to be the most interesting people to bug.

Erasing remotely what is on your phone is nice, but hardly going to stump serious LEO ... all traffic goes through several servers and will be stored there for years.

Never ever say anything on a phone you are not totally happy explaining to a jury, likewise email.

Top Bottom