Supercritical or Ultra-Supercritical steam extraction of Cannabis?

• Thread starter BubbaG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BubbaG

BubbaG

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but I've been growing awhile and am experimenting with extraction techniques.... lol that's like everybody else too hehe :-) Difference is my partner and I already have the BHO extraction and purging tech down very well, and I don't think I'm interested in heading towards SC CO2 extraction, as the capital cost is steep. That leaves bubble, which has yields under 10% often.....live resin, which is supposed to be good but also yields low - under 10% is the talk I've seen, but I haven't confirmed that. But there is always something new out there to discover, I guess.

I searched this forum and haven't found threads with any info along these lines,but if there is already a thread, I would appreciate if someone could direct me to it. Now to the reason for the post.

I'm a steam guy (Mech Eng), have been for 24 years. I work with steam in phases that most folks can't fathom. I have trouble keeping the energy levels in perspective myself. I recently managed the construction of a steam generator that produces steam at 4,000 PSI and ~1,100deg F for a power generation facility. No shit, right on edge of ultra supercritical. Steam acts downright funny at these pressures and temps and becomes a "fluid" after passing the supercritical phase. I'm wondering how it would treat cannabis. I'm certain that it would energetically volatize all solid matter introduced into a chamber with it. I have some thoughts of how to separate the gunk from the good stuff at this stage (ain't sharing that lol) then after separation, will be a condensation/compression operation to bring the product back to a stable (hopefully) solid.

Anyone tried this? Would be a mother fucker to produce the ultra supercritical steam outside of a large industrial setting, though. Current materials technology is right on the edge of inventing new materials with higher strength and corrosion resistance properties for these energy levels. I could do it though, would be fun, would Also be a explosive devise with a serious punch if I fucked up. My guess is the energy contained in a 50g vessel at ultra supercritical range would level my house.... (and I live in a pretty big house :-) at least until after the wife gets through with me in the divorce.) If the vessel let go at those temps, the steam jet would atomize anything it touches, including you.

straincreation

straincreation

That sounds intreging . Although having a steam nuke in my presence just for extract? Wow best of luck
Ill stick to my bubble FM. Just ice and water 33F.;)

Happy farmin;)

bongobongo

bongobongo

Supporter
I mean, at this point wouldn't supercritical co2 be easier and less dangerous? Regardless this sounds cool... H2o steam?

straincreation

straincreation

Some links would be cool,if you find any info on this stuff.ill keep an eye on this thread..
Happy farmin;)

BeenBurned

BeenBurned

Interesting. Sounds promising if you can get it under control. B careful and Keep us posted...I'll keep an eye on the news for "steam levels home" story.
Good luck in that D bro

BubbaG

BubbaG

Thanks all. Don't worry, I know how to handle a steam nuke...... It's best done from the other side of a 1" steel plate. The reason I don't want to do SC CO2 is capital cost and the taste just ain't there IMO, a boiler is actually reasonable to build if you have high alloy welding skills. Plus, I like tinkering and a guy that used to work with me has already built a D type, wood fired subcritical boiler out at his ranch cause he's a fellow steam head and wanted to do radiant heat in his floors and walls - really fucking cool lol. Anyway, wouldn't be too hard to build a superheater that would take the saturated steam from his boiler and boost it to superheated or maybe supercritical, I'm thinkin I leave the ultra sc alone for now though lol - would have to be made of really high chrome alloy probably a grade P91 or P92 at the least....but just a pressure vessel

BubbaG

BubbaG

I dunno bro. I'm an engineer, not a chemist. It's not just the heat, it's the pressure too yeah. Just the heat would be catastrophic granted lol, but at this pressure get weird effects,but I suppose might not matter.

I'll let y'all know how it works out. Might be awhile. I'll be moving soon - splitting with old lady. My intention is to buy a house with some land and a shop that I will convert into my workshop.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Interesting idea. I think Ralphy is probably correct, but don't let that stop you. Would love to see pics of this project as you progress.

Top Bottom