• Thread starter genEric
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

genEric

Supercropping 30+ days into flowering?

Howdy ya'll!

Asking this one for a friend as I didn't have a definitive answer for him:

Pal's got a monster bush LST'd like an apple tree in an orchard. Beautiful job training her. 14 inches tall 4 feet across.

It's a newer local strain called "Frankenfinger" and it is supposedly 100% Indica with a 60-65 day finish time. Once it stopped stretching it's got about 20 shoots sticking up about 18" above the canopy forcing him to keep his light too high. I told him to lay those shoots down and drop the light but he's afraid...

The Question: He's 30 days into flowering and he's afraid to supercrop it and get that 600w HPS down low where it needs to be. I say go for it- he's afraid.

Safe to supercrop 30 days into flowering?

I figure the worst that would happen is it might add a week to his finish time. What say you good farmers?

Keep it green ladies and gents!

Peace,

-genEric

GodZsoN

GodZsoN

Id be afraid it would cause to much stress and focus on repairing herself rather its flowers.. But I've never done it.. If you ens up doing it.. Please let us know.. Good luck..

Peace,
GodZsoN

R

rockson21

as long as you're just bending, not snapping, cutting, or breaking the cell walls, i'd have to imagine that tying them down to get them better light is a must.

F

FatMarty

I strap on my leathers and break out the mini bungee cords and S-hooks; if this doesn't work you probably need a chain.

G

genEric

as long as you're just bending, not snapping, cutting, or breaking the cell walls, i'd have to imagine that tying them down to get them better light is a must.

No snapping, cutting, breaking, folding, spindling, or mutilating...

Just a pinch down low on the shoots stalk, about midway between the top and bottom of the canopy, and a gentle fold down 'til they're laying all nice and comfy on top of or amidst the canopy in a horizontalicious fashion.

As I said I figure the worst that'll happen is it'll slow down for a few days adding maybe a week, tops, to his finish time.

Frankenfinger... I'm telling ya these strains are getting weirder and weirder names every day. Supposedly named after the breeders Farmer Frank and Dr. Greenfinger: A couple local underground legends with solid reps. The plant really does look nice. A fine specimen indeed...

I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Peace,

-genEric

N

Ne Obliviscaris

When you "pinch down" on the cell stalk before you bend it, you are, in fact, breaking the cell walls and the plant is going to spend some of its energy repairing that. This is why knots form in the stalk when you crimp them like that. If he's 30 days into flower hes also going to be crimping in the middle of where colas are going to be forming, id imagine. Can you post pics so we can see how far along the girls are at 30 days?

F

FatMarty

Nothing? :sun

Here's a couple images of my dungeon.

Bend but don't break.
If you see a little liquid forming on the outer edge of the bend you are breaking cells and need to back off the hang or the total weight.
Bend but dont break is the most important LST rule this far along in bloom imo.

The second pic is about 30 days in bloom and one day after hanging chain on upper stalk.

I'll leave chains/bungee straps on a week or two until they are not needed any longer. The little bungee cords come in handy for hanging up straglers too.

G

genEric

I'm not gonna be able to get over there and take pics until well after the holidays.

Just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago- he laid them down carefully using a gentle pinch and laid and/or held 'em down with wires. He said the stalks are like rubber and it was a piece of cake.

There will be plenty of colas on the main laterals that were tied down during veg. I'd imagine the shoots he just laid down will form popcorn or, hopefully, golfballs.

I'll throw some pics up once i can get over there and let ya'll know how it worked out.

Thanks SO much for your input!

Happy holidays all!

Peace,

-genEric

Top Bottom