Supersoil Idea....

• Thread starter radical farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

radical farmer

I've been racking ideas about a supersoil to use on my next run. Gonna be running 9 plants in 7gal containers, hoping to pull at least 4zips/plant. That is just for my flower container, gonna be vegging them out for about 6 weeks in 1 gal containers, really pushing the roots. I was looking over super soils, and I was wondering if this would be a good mix. Most of the shit that subcool uses is just single ingredients. Heres my idea:

6 bags Royal Gold Mendo Mix
1 bag &/or fresh EWC (?)
Dr. Earth's Bud & Bloom 4-10-7
Dr. Earth's Bulb Food 3-15-2
Dolomite Lime (?)
Perlite (?)

Those Dr. Earth's are packed with great shit, even 7 different strains of fungi/bacteria. I also have my own myco fungi that I am going to add. What do you guys think of this mix? All that stuff, including the Mendo Mix soil, is packed full of great nutrients. I'm like thinking of other classic super soils like subcools, vics, & the infamous Moonshine Man mix haha.

Do you think that I could run this with just straight water for the entire flower cycle? That's my main goal. Think I should add some Fox Farm Peace Of Mind 3-8-8 to add some humic acid and other goodies? Or would that be too hot? ANd how much of each of the dry nutes would you guys add for 63gals of soil?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I LOVE love LOVE the Dr. Earth line of fertilizers!

I haven't seen these other mixes you're mentioning, so I just use Dr. Earth Organic 4, which is for acid-loving plants like rhodies and azaleas. I'd add the worm castings because it's an immediate delivery. That said, all my pots, even the indoor pots, are full of red wigglers.

If you're going to add humic (not necessary IMO) then go with just humic. I also don't see why you really need the dolomitic lime here, the Dr. Earth should have sources of calcium and unless that soil is really hot and acidic I see no reason to work harder to regulate soil pH, unless it gives you a reason of course.

I don't think you can run this with straight water, but mostly with straight water. Weekly to biweekly feedings may be necessary, and if these girls are OD you can foliar the expensive stuff in the evenings.

I tend to eyeball the nutes. When I do the Dr. Earth I follow their directions, which if I recall are something like 1 cup/10'sq (surface). I believe they give volumetric amounts as well.

R

radical farmer

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, my main goal is to basically do a "water only" grow. Think if I added some PoM Bulb 3-8-8 that I would get away with straight water? I've taken a lot of cues from the Moonshine Man Mix which is:

Ocean Forest
Planting Mix (guano/castings)
Light Warrior
Black Gold
Coco Brick(small brick)
1 cup peace of mind (for flower)
2- 5 gal buckets worth of perilite

waayne

waayne

Hey,Radical you might want to factor in whether your plants are light or heavy feeders.Your mix would probably be fine for moderate to heavy feeders,but sounds a little rich for light feeders.
You can always feed a little if needed but if the mix is to hot to start with you have few options but to try to leach them out and watch them burn. Good luck!

R

radical farmer

Yeah, they are all pretty heavy feeders. AlienDawg, Chemdog #4, & OGeisel. Think that mix would be good enough for a water only grow then?

waayne

waayne

Maybe,but you will probably need to use large containers,IE:15-20 gallon.If you use smaller containers you will probably need to feed like seamaiden advised.

R

radical farmer

Hrmm... Seems as though my mix has more goodies in it than the moonshine man mix which is water only, but yet I'll have to feed them? I'll be using 7 gal containers. Got any ideas of how I could make this a water only grow then?

S

SkyHi

Only way to do it bro is to try it...i dont think anyone can give you a certain answer with out runnng the strains...i would lean a little on the lighter side and keep good notes and suppliment as needed....then next round use your notes to adjust...youlll find you might have a couple different formulas for different strains. Goodluck

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
All I can say about what SkyHi and waayne have said is, Yup. Very strain dependent.

Don't forget the utility of top-dressing through the season. Teas are great, too.

R

radical farmer

Yeah, you're all right! I'll just make the mix up, see how it goes take good notes, and then come late august you might see the Radical Farmer Mix haha! Another water-only grow that I know us organic dorks love!

I'll probably get some of Root Organics HPK for a mid-flower tea, or biweekly, we'll just have to see how she goes. Can you make that PoM Bulb Food 3-8-8 into a tea because I'd love to just use dry admendments?

S

SkyHi

Yeah, you're all right! I'll just make the mix up, see how it goes take good notes, and then come late august you might see the Radical Farmer Mix haha! Another water-only grow that I know us organic dorks love!

I'll probably get some of Root Organics HPK for a mid-flower tea, or biweekly, we'll just have to see how she goes. Can you make that PoM Bulb Food 3-8-8 into a tea because I'd love to just use dry admendments?

Bro, cherck this out grab some indonesian bat guano...make a straight guano tea and use it in late flowering on a control plant and watch the aroma and taste increase....

R

radical farmer

Think I could pull at least 4 oz/plant with 5 gallon containers instead of 7? under a 1000w hps? If I made up my super soil mix, and gave a good feeding with the bat guano tea?

Thats basically my main goal. Get AT LEAST 4zips/plant, all organic soil.

S

SkyHi

Then go bigger on the pots with longer veg...i get 2 zips a plant in my headstash tent....3 galllon pots, 3-4 week veg....so double upo the pots and veg time...oh and thats under a 400hps

K

kindindy123

Hey,Radical you might want to factor in whether your plants are light or heavy feeders.Your mix would probably be fine for moderate to heavy feeders,but sounds a little rich for light feeders.
You can always feed a little if needed but if the mix is to hot to start with you have few options but to try to leach them out and watch them burn. Good luck!

more known of strain performance small hydro exp,might help ,unless you know for sure how they feed

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

Think I could pull at least 4 oz/plant with 5 gallon containers instead of 7? under a 1000w hps? If I made up my super soil mix, and gave a good feeding with the bat guano tea?

Thats basically my main goal. Get AT LEAST 4zips/plant, all organic soil.

Have you pulled close to 4 oz./plant yet? If not, you may be hard pressed to get it just by changing your soil mix. If you do have your plants dialed in then I don't see why you can't get a harvest like that. Large pots, vegged to nice bushes with LST will yield very well under a 1k bulb.

If you want to do a water-only soil mix I suggest you use 7 gallon pots. Of course, if you go smaller, say 5 gallon containers it is a simple matter to feed your plants if they get hungry.

Top Bottom