Supplemental Light: MH or HPS?

• Thread starter jawnroot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jawnroot

jawnroot

I'm filling in a bit of a light gap with a 150. Trouble is, I'm trying to decide between HPS and MH. On the one hand, some people argue added metal halide in flower increases overall quality, and it obviously adds to spectrum.

On the downside, metal halide has about 20% less light output right from the break, and has a precipitous lumen loss. Whereas that 16K lumen HPS might be at 15K lumens (at the absolute most) after a year of 12/12, the 13K metal halide will be around ~9000 lumens. So a big difference in light output.

I guess it boils down to this: Is the increased/added/supplementary spectrum worth the much lower light output of the MH? My gut and common sense tell me no -- the arguments for MH and UVB in flower seem anecdotal and bullshitty to me -- but I'm still curious.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I assume you have HPS lights already, i would go with a 250 watt mh, the increased spectrum is a big plus IMO, and the 250 will give you a larger lumen output, even High output florescent are good for supplementary lighting. 150-300 watters not bad. either way you go, its all good.

Top Bottom