Supplementing Qb Boards

• Thread starter Comermac
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Comermac

Hey Everyone. Right now I am running 4x QB120s and a 257w (actual watts) cob led fixture that also has deep red CREE leds. For my next run I would like to add more lights. I will be adding some QB288s. I would also like to add some supplemental light to make a better light spectrum. Right now I am torn between adding T5 fluorescent fixtures and a DIY led fixture using colored 5w LEDs.

T5:
pros - cheaper, use less power
cons - less customizable spectrum , a little less lumens

5w DIY led:
pros - very customizable spectrum
cons - use more energy, more heat (I think), cost more to build

What would you choose to supplement your QB boards and why?

Thanks

Freshone

Freshone

No wrong way to grow and congrats on 4 decades of growing,right there with you.No single light can have it all but by supplementing you can get closer.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

No wrong way to grow and congrats on 4 decades of growing,right there with you.No single light can have it all but by supplementing you can get closer.
I mostly use that big yellow one in the sky anymore. No supplementation required. :-)

It's legal here now. I just grow for personal use by family and friends. There is no market for weed here any more. (what do you know, legalization works). I'm using these boards to grow some interesting stash in the winter. I doubt I'll worry about supplementation, as that seems mostly oriented about bud cosmetics, which I couldn't care less about. Using unsupplemented Blurple lights, I grew literally the stoniest buds I have ever grown last winter. Looking forward to seeing what the QBs do.

R

raymont50

If you want to supplemental light get more Q boards and up light from the bottom. 3000k.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I mostly use that big yellow one in the sky anymore. No supplementation required. :)

It's legal here now. I just grow for personal use by family and friends. There is no market for weed here any more. (what do you know, legalization works). I'm using these boards to grow some interesting stash in the winter. I doubt I'll worry about supplementation, as that seems mostly oriented about bud cosmetics, which I couldn't care less about. Using unsupplemented Blurple lights, I grew literally the stoniest buds I have ever grown last winter. Looking forward to seeing what the QBs do.
My QBs give me the tightest buds ever..Enjoy!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I mostly use that big yellow one in the sky anymore. No supplementation required. :)

Check this out: All QB TYPE lighting.
2x QB132 in 3500k and 2x 288's in 3000k (not hlg)..about 350+ true watts. No additional anything.
IMG 1518
IMG 1519

C

Comermac

Sorry for the late response I was out for the weekend.

After reading comments I think it will get the following: 10 QB288s, still add T5 flourescent lights to add UVB. This is supposed to increase terps and thc. In the future I will make some red/deep red light bars for just flowering.

I can make a 8ft light bar using a hlg 320h-c1050 with about 60 5w leds total for around 200$

Paldo

Paldo

Ok guys, so the question is: do I really need to add far or deep red to 3000 and 3500k cob mix? or more 3000k cobs are better solution for flowering? (As we know, reds are less efective in lumens for 1W).

Have U saw any benefits of adding this reds to Ur spectrum? Is it really worth it?

Last edited:
C

Comermac

In my opinion it would be more worth it to get deep red LEDs that you can control separately from your main lights.

The reason why is because the Emmerson Effect. When your plants are transitioning from veg to flower deep red light can speed up the transition from veg to flower. If you give them only red deep red light for some time after you turn your main lights out you can decrease that "stall" period between veg and the stretch from flowers.

So in my opinion it wouldnt be worth it to get them just on led boards with white LEDs on the same board.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Also check out flower initiation using far red. No sience here, but it seems to cut flowering time by about a week (many strains).
I built this for about $100 and tossed in a few UV leds for shits and giggles. I am pleased with my investment.
(and NO, I don't work for Rapidled, or anyone else!)
IMG 0996

Snap3

Optical spectrum

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

What's the justification for QBs needing supplementation? Everything I have read indicates that their spectrum is quite good.
i know this is an old post .has anybody tried using G8LED 90 Watt LED all red mixed as a supplement mixed in?

C.RunningFst

C.RunningFst

What's up new member..

Red and UV are both beneficial imo. I use reptile bulbs for my UVB because they are cheap and they work. I think adding UVB is the single most biggest thing you can do to see instaneous results in improvement. The herb is much stronger with the reptile bulbs than not. If you don't believe me, grow 1 plant with 1 or 2 reptile bulbs (uvb150 are like ~$9) and then 1 plant without, then load your buddy a couple bowls without telling him which is which and let him tell you if there's a difference.

As far as red goes I think its beneficial. Its the easiest way to make photons so you get the biggest bang per wall watt.

Just a graphic lol...
Images

LedGuy

LedGuy

LedGuy

LedGuy

What's up new member..

Red and UV are both beneficial imo. I use reptile bulbs for my UVB because they are cheap and they work. I think adding UVB is the single most biggest thing you can do to see instaneous results in improvement. The herb is much stronger with the reptile bulbs than not. If you don't believe me, grow 1 plant with 1 or 2 reptile bulbs (uvb150 are like ~$9) and then 1 plant without, then load your buddy a couple bowls without telling him which is which and let him tell you if there's a difference.

As far as red goes I think its beneficial. Its the easiest way to make photons so you get the biggest bang per wall watt.

Just a graphic lol...
View attachment 869156
U joined today too?

Latest posts

Top Bottom