Sure To Grow?

• Thread starter TrailerTrash
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

Saw all the hype on this new grow media ...fiber?

anybody have any results yet?

heres the info..

STG HYDROPONIC LOOSE FILL & ABSORBENTS

Recommended for growing all types of nursery and greenhouse hydroponic crops in individual containers such as bag culture, buckets, net pots and other nursery containers.
  • Soil ammendment - more robust growth and higher yields
  • Hydroponic crop production -an excellent stand-alone media.
  • Superior to rockwool absorbent, perlite, cocofiber (coir) vermiculite and soilless mix.

Special Features:

• Light weight, sterile
  • No pH and nutrient swings
  • No irritating fibers
  • No preconditioning required

I hate rockwool fibers..and clay hydroton cleaning...:mad0233:

D

dgp

Actually...just bought some today and used it for my seed germination. They have a store locator on their website to find a local outlet. I got some sheets and some 4" cubes. I used small square slices and some torn up stuff to act as my media. I placed approx 3/4 in the bottom, seed, 1/4 on top. It is in a Hydrofarm prop dome right now on a pad so in a week or so, we'll see. Gonna post pics of the whole op later.
I definetly fell for all the hype, I've done the other stuff...why not as I am starting all over with new EVERYTHING. It has the consistency of Cotton but stronger woven lke lambs wool or something. It pulls apart nicely as well.
It was really cool looking when you saturate the stuff, it looks like snow slushie.

N

noone88

It has been discussed in other forums.

I used the cloner inserts and the 4" blocks for 3 perpetual cycles. Quick summary: bottom 1/3 retains a lot of water. Too easy to overwater. Algae is a huge problem and will ruin whole crops. I had inconsistent results, some plants did well, other plants were affected by the algae.

If you want to use the STG media, start off with 12-18 hours between watering if you have newly rooted clones. You can go up to 4 hours between watering once they are taking off. I would not recommend an organic route; stick to Lucas formula, bloom booster, and h2o2.

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

algi

hmm..says its fungi resistant?

wonder if hydroton on the bottom...then a mix of coco/sure to grow...mabie have to use algicide?

N

noone88

I tried a layer of hydroton under the STG block. It still retained a lot of water. But if you're using a hydroton layer, you might as well use all-hydroton as media.

You can use an algaecide, but you cannot use beneficial bacteria etc etc.

I am back to hydroton. If you don't mind spending a few cycles fine-tuning the STG watering schedule, then go for it.

S

sensei13

I haven't tried this stuff, but I sounds like a thick bottom layer of perlite might be of benefit.

D

dgp

good to know, going to space out my watering/feeding accordingly

Top Bottom