Switch from Vegetation to flowering

• Thread starter RichmondReap
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RichmondReap

RichmondReap

Hello,
After disastrous results with my seedlings, (after using T5 for seedlings I turned on the Metal Halide 600 watts and light was too close @20 inches) I have refined the system tby moving my flood tray across the grow tent for maximum light distance and this has seemed to work with my 3 new clones (Strawnana, Kush Mints and Slurricane).
I got the clones 11/7/2020.

Feeding Schedule is (per 4 gal water) Flooding 3x24hrs
Week 1 - Water 6.0 ph
Week 2 - Grow .6tsp - Micro .6tsp - Bloom .6tsp
Week 3 - G 2tsp - M .8tsp - B .8tsp
Week 4 +G 5.5tsp - M 4tsp - B 1.6tsp

What are the indicators of time to swap over to the Sodium Halide light (flowering)?
I don't think time only is a good indicator as there are three different strains.

Here are 2 pictures of them today, at @ 4weeks:

Thanks,
Richmond Reaper

Thread1
Thread2
Thread3
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

They will double in height or more than double after flip. You should flip when they are about a 1/3 as tall as your light max height.

a4twenty

a4twenty

on a side note, are they still in starter cubes?

even if you've gone to a bigger cube you're greatly limiting any potential growth by restricting the root zone size. also with no protection from the light the roots can only survive inside the cube, again greatly restricting growth potential.

Last edited:
RichmondReap

RichmondReap

on a side note, are they still in starter cubes?

even if you've gone to a bigger cube you're greatly limiting any potential growth by restricting the root zone size. also with no protection from the light the roots can only survive inside the cube, again greatly restricting growth potential.

That was going to be my next question.
When I bought the clones that is the same cube as when I got it. How do I transplant from one size rockwool cube to a larger rockwool cube? It seems like the roots are stuck inside it (as you mentioned) So what is my course of action, not sure how to transplant from small to larger cube because I think I will rip all the roots out! Is there a YouTube video? Because I couldn't find it. Help me grow a better root system!

Richmond Reaper

a4twenty

a4twenty

That was going to be my next question.
When I bought the clones that is the same cube as when I got it. How do I transplant from one size rockwool cube to a larger rockwool cube? It seems like the roots are stuck inside it (as you mentioned) So what is my course of action, not sure how to transplant from small to larger cube because I think I will rip all the roots out! Is there a YouTube video? Because I couldn't find it. Help me grow a better root system!

Richmond Reaper
the starter plug should fit directly into the larger cubes, they're made that way.

what dimensions are the cubes they're in now.

a rockwool cube, even the bigger ones are not really big enough by themselves to flower a plant, you need to give the roots somewhere to grow in darkness.

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

the starter plug should fit directly into the larger cubes, they're made that way.

what dimensions are the cubes they're in now.

a rockwool cube, even the bigger ones are not really big enough by themselves to flower a plant, you need to give the roots somewhere to grow in darkness.

Cubes are 2" x 2". I have some 3" cubes, but looks like the opening is only 1.5" .

R. Reaper

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

Aside from the cube transplant question, my follow up question would be, if I was able to cover the cubes with say a black paper masked plexiglass acrylic sheet would still need to transplant to a larger cube since it is the light inhibiting the root growth?

R. Reaper

Sheet
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You can put them in 6 inch square pots of lekka and run them that way

Screenshot 20201211 151303 DuckDuckGo
a4twenty

a4twenty

better to paint that plexi white on top to reflect light back up and lessen the heat build up in the root zone.

the roots will grow like that but you need to be able to keep them feed. the plants would need to be veg'd fast and flowered. there are plenty of different medias that can be used allow larger plants. take a good look around the site, so much info and different was to be successful.

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

Its not the pots I am concerned it's transplanting the rock wool 2 inch cube into a larger rock wool cube. Most have 1.5 inch holes to plug the plant into but I get my clones from a place that uses 2 inch so, aside from cutting my own 2 inch hole or widening the 1.5, I wanted to know if anyone knew of any cubes with a 2 inch hole in the center to make my life easier, so I can plug-n-play so to speak!

I special ordered the black Plexiglas acrylic and hand drew out the holes for milling... I jumped the gun because I should've had in my possession all the elements like the flood tray, so I could measure and also the appropriate net pots... I thought 2 inches in diameter was enough, but as a real run through of the whole process I am seeing the errors... I needed a 39+6/16th square Plexiglas... I had it in black as to not allow light through it, I suppose black will absorb the heat from the light, not sure if it would transfer the heat all the way to the roots...

My new one I am designing will have (8) 2" openings and then to accommodate a larger rock wool cube I need to order some new net pots and check the size but then once that happens I can measure the right size for a proper net pot opening and not just for seedlings, put in 6-12 of those.

My old schematics below, to see what I was blah blah blah about:
Tray 2inch inserts guide

Also, I just looked high and low for neoprene 6" collars... (like the green 2" collar I have in my image up a post. Apparently they go as large as 3 inch.. no higher.. why is that? Why wouldn't my 6" net pot need a way to block light just like the 2" version. Anyone? What gives? What should I use? Cardboard? Seems dumb, I am sad :(

R. Reaper

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

So far here's my new layout:
Plexiglas cutout

Not sure why fast fit doesn't sell something similar.

R.R.

a4twenty

a4twenty

no plexi, your hydro shop will sell black / white poly sheet. black side to the roots, white to reflect light back up. put the holes wherever you want and change it up from grow to grow.

talk to the people at your local hydro shop, they can get you on the right path.

your cubes were likey 1.5" before they got packed full of roots, carve out space in the larger blocks but remember rockwool is nasty stuff, especially when dry, wear a mask.

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

no plexi, your hydro shop will sell black / white poly sheet. black side to the roots, white to reflect light back up. put the holes wherever you want and change it up from grow to grow.

talk to the people at your local hydro shop, they can get you on the right path.

your cubes were likey 1.5" before they got packed full of roots, carve out space in the larger blocks but remember rockwool is nasty stuff, especially when dry, wear a mask.

The problem I am having with a flimsy 6mil poly sheet is that I wanted to suspend the net pot from the plexiglas as I am not a metal worker, a friend 10 yrs ago used a thin metal sheet with exact rings punched out and held their net pots up. They did have a reflective poly shet on top, but not alone, their grow room was amazing, now 10 years later I assumed apparatus has evolved for ebb n flow has evolved, aside from hole ebb-n-flo kits.
Rockwool cubes soaking
Ebb n flo

This might do fine, we'll have to see...

R.R.

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

2 weeks into sodium halide light/flowering cycle.

I am curious about how far, if at all, the root system progressed out side of the rock wool cube... I do not want to lift up the sheet as it requires me to re plug with the green covers and I'm lazy :D, we'll see at the end!
R.R.

20210105 204136
20210109 134919
Last edited:
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

2 weeks into sodium halide light/flowering cycle.

I am curious about how far, if at all, the root system progressed out side of the rock wool cube... I do not want to lift up the sheet as it requires me to re plug with the green covers and I'm lazy :D, we'll see at the end!
R.R.
They look a little sulphur and magnesium deficient, do you have any epsom salt?
The red stripes on the stalk say sulphur deficiency and the red petioles say magnesium. Epsom salt adds both

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

They look a little sulphur and magnesium deficient, do you have any epsom salt?
The red stripes on the stalk say sulphur deficiency and the red petioles say magnesium. Epsom salt adds both

I do have a small sack of epsom salt, gonna go with 1 gram per gallon, tomorrow I start week 3 flowering nutrients:
(per 4 gallons)
Flora Grow 1.6 tsp
Flora Micro 4 tsp
Flora Bloom 6.4 tsp
KoolBloom 4 tsp
Epsom Salt 4 grams

I usually measure the PH after adding all the nutrients (My water is around 7.5ph) and usually need a little ph down to make a 6.0ph before I add to my reservoir.

Anyone see any issues here?

R.R.

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

That being said I see an issue, I have white mold on the leaves...
Going to (hopefully) carefully wipe leaves with water wet/moist paper towel, changing the paper towel between leaves, then I am making up a concoction to spray the leaves (no buds formed yet). Seeing as there is no more Nutrilife SM-90 left except if you want to spend $70 on an quart on eBay... (Apparently labeling issues as hydro farmers everywhere use alternate means)... anyways, my concoction is some sort of mixture of baking soda, milk, hydrogen peroxide, neem oil and water. Ton of work, had to get a friend to come by later tonight to help.

RichmondReap

RichmondReap

• Milk (1:9 ratio of milk to water) @ 1 cup
  • Baking soda (1 tblsp per 1/2 gallon of water)
  • Neem Oil (2 teaspoons per 1/2 gallon of water)
  • Hydrogen Peroxide (35%) (1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 gallon of water)
  • Nutrilife SM-90 (1:5 ratio of SM-90 to water) vegetable oil and 2 drops of liquid dish detergent
  • Water 1/2 gallon (8 cups)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom