Switch To Autopot?

• Thread starter cluneyboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cluneyboy

I'm doing a blue dream grow in coco in a 1.5 gallon pot inside a 3X3X6 tent.
I didn't think I was going to have issues with 2 feeds/waters a day but I am running in to problems on work days.
Thinking of transplanting to a 4 gallon autopot.
I am just not sure about watering from the bottom...good or bad.
I like the idea of the autopots but will i end up with issues transplanting my rootbound girl into a pot almost 3 times the size?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
As long as it's still vegging transplanting would only benefit it.. If its severely rootbound you might need to loosen the rootball up a bit.

Bottom feeding is fine if you keep ec low and top feed with run off periodically to rinse excess salts. But I prefer a top fed system with regular runoff in coco. Just my 2c.

FarmerDi

FarmerDi

As long as it's still vegging transplanting would only benefit it.. If its severely rootbound you might need to loosen the rootball up a bit.

Bottom feeding is fine if you keep ec low and top feed with run off periodically to rinse excess salts. But I prefer a top fed system with regular runoff in coco. Just my 2c.
Autopots are not to be top feed. I have made two runs with them. They are designed for bottom feed. The salts Rise to the top so no need to top feed you will do more harm than good.

FarmerDi

FarmerDi

I'm doing a blue dream grow in coco in a 1.5 gallon pot inside a 3X3X6 tent.
I didn't think I was going to have issues with 2 feeds/waters a day but I am running in to problems on work days.
Thinking of transplanting to a 4 gallon autopot.
I am just not sure about watering from the bottom...good or bad.
I like the idea of the autopots but will i end up with issues transplanting my rootbound girl into a pot almost 3 times the size?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
If you read the instructions to autopots and watch the video you do not top feed once the roots are established. Top feed only when they are young and the roots are not established enough to drink from the bottom. Once they are on auto just monitor pH and ppm and watch them florish . I have two grows with autopots and currently on my third

gwheels

gwheels

Autopots are great. I love mine. I have had 3 grows in the 4 gallon ones and now 1 grow in a pair of 6.5s.

Next round I will get 2 air domes and give them a try in the 6.5s

FarmerDi

FarmerDi

Autopots are great. I love mine. I have had 3 grows in the 4 gallon ones and now 1 grow in a pair of 6.5s.

Next round I will get 2 air domes and give them a try in the 6.5s
Just started round 3 with 4 four gallon autopots. Have the airdomes in 3 of them. 1 GSC, 1 Dynamed (CBD), 2 SLH CBD auto .

gwheels

gwheels

I am going to really scrog out the 6.5s. I will run 2 bubble buckets and 2 of the 6.5 gallon pots to start the next round April 1stish..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Autopots are not to be top feed. I have made two runs with them. They are designed for bottom feed. The salts Rise to the top so no need to top feed you will do more harm than good.
I agree, sorry I should have been more clear. I prefer top fed coco in fabric or plastic pots. And i just consider it a good practice to periodically rinse bottom fed plants in any container from the top once in a while because the salts can build up near the surface of the coco.

FarmerDi

FarmerDi

I agree, sorry I should have been more clear. I prefer top fed coco in fabric or plastic pots. And i just consider it a good practice to periodically rinse bottom fed plants in any container from the top once in a while because the salts can build up near the surface of the coco.
Yes.... It does build up at the top and you can clearly see the white salt. Apparently, the makers of autopot recommend not to top feed at that pontp. But if you have and it didn't result in any negative effects it may not matter if it dinner sparingly. It's all about experimenting and getting results!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yes.... It does build up at the top and you can clearly see the white salt. Apparently, the makers of autopot recommend not to top feed at that pontp. But if you have and it didn't result in any negative effects it may not matter if it dinner sparingly. It's all about experimenting and getting results!

100%. and honestly I wouldn't wash that in either at that point. When I used them I a bottom feed setup I would feed 3 times a day using coco and top feed once per week to runoff to prevent that crust from forming to begin with.

Many ways to do it. And it's true, it's not necessary really... Just what i did.

gwheels

gwheels

I have never flushed an autopot plant. A couple of times i should have. And you can flush it but autopot says you do not need to. I will try one with and one without and see (same strain).

I have dumped and cleaned the res. I usually do it a time or two a grow if there is a lot of coco silt or whatever.

Rdub

Rdub

Well I’m going to necro this thread a bit and go off topic. Don’t shoot me. Seems like a decent amount of autopot experience in here and I’m hoping one of you can help. I have a 4 system pot and one of the pots does not wick water. Aqua valve is functioning normally but the f*ckin pot is bone dry and light as a feather. Anyone else’s run into this?

Rdub

Rdub

If you read the instructions to autopots and watch the video you do not top feed once the roots are established. Top feed only when they are young and the roots are not established enough to drink from the bottom. Once they are on auto just monitor pH and ppm and watch them florish . I have two grows with autopots and currently on my third
Out of curiosity what ppm do you shoot for in your res mid veg?

Bettis88

Bettis88

Well I’m going to necro this thread a bit and go off topic. Don’t shoot me. Seems like a decent amount of autopot experience in here and I’m hoping one of you can help. I have a 4 system pot and one of the pots does not wick water. Aqua valve is functioning normally but the f*ckin pot is bone dry and light as a feather. Anyone else’s run into this?
Test your run off ph...Have you got a ph lockout in your medium? Flush to your preferred ph... then top feed... then back to normal hopefully?

Latest posts

Top Bottom