Switched MH to HPS, and new growth is wilting

• Thread starter HighTolerance
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HighTolerance

Hey guys everything has been the same. My plants were doing excellent a few days ago under the MH. Absolutely nothing has changed in the last few days except that I changed the bulb from 600W MH to 600W HPS. I did notice that the plants were vegging better under the MH than in my previous HPS veg.

I switched to HPS because I needed the MH for another room. I would be willing to buy another MH but I am not 100% sure if its the bulb or if something is off.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Switched mh to hps and new growth is wilting
Switched mh to hps and new growth is wilting 2
D

doco

HPS has nearly twice the lumens as MH - 90k as opposed to 55k - you may need to back the light off a bit.

H

HighTolerance

I just did that today. hopefully that solves it. Anything else looks wrong with them

D

doco

Nope, they look great - looks like something chewed a leaf in the first pic, but they look nice and healthy, good color, not over fed - off to a great start.

H

HighTolerance

Nope, they look great - looks like something chewed a leaf in the first pic, but they look nice and healthy, good color, not over fed - off to a great start.

Thanks a lot mate, that makes me feel much better.

H

HighTolerance

I never heard of a 600w MH. Are you sure about that?

Yes you are correct, since MH is only about 20-50% less efficient they don't even make them in 600w. But there are 600w conversion MH bulbs. I got a good deal on one so I wanted to just give it a shot. Anyhow I did wanna have a MH for my 600w ballast so I could switch it out during the last week of flowering to increase some density and trichrome production.

D

doco

I have a SunMaster 600w MH conversion bulb and a few PlusRite 600w 6K MH bulbs (dont know if they are conversions or true MH). I use them for a week or two when I transition from the clone/veg room to flowering room. Helps harden them off for the HPS.

H

HighTolerance

what was the distance of the plants to the hps bulb?

the MH was about 1.5 feet away, then i switched to HPS which was the exact same distance apart, i guess that doubled the lumens on the plants. Now the HPS is 2.5 feet above the canopy line.

H

HighTolerance

Since I think I am ready to move to flowering I am really tripping out that the new growth isn't looking so crisp and healthy. when I feel them they are very soft, almost like over watered.

K

Kennie_B

It may just be a heat issue if your ph is good & you havent changed anything else. What is your soil temperature?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
That happens to mine when I turn the lights up I usally start at 50% then go 75% and a week later 100% and every time I do they do the exact same thing.. They should and will be fine in a couple days...

dlovejah

dlovejah

Hey there mang.. :smiley_joint:.. 2.5 feet is too far off your canopy.. I like to get a 600 at least to 16 inches and you can drop it to 12 if your cooling your light or blowing some oscillating fans right over your canopy.. Heres the lumen output..600 watts at 1 foot is 90,000 lumens, at 2 feet its 22,500 lumens and at 3 ft a mere 9,999 lumens... Its a tremendous drop off and very apparent if you own a light meter..... Good luck ...d:smiley_joint:

R

Rolln J

its not too far off his canopy if they are making his plants wilt - when they come around he can move the light back down...

dlovejah

dlovejah

Well I disagree.. If your lights are to close to your plants they will show burn.. Wilting is not necessarily because your lights are too close.. Could be overwatering and not enough airflow or too high of temps....peace d:anim_52:

H

HighTolerance

Hello guys, update on my situation. Turned out that the temp at the canopy line was sneaking high. Anyhow I spent an entire day and a half to tweak my grow area. Everything is looking good.

Check out the latest pics in my journal (signature).

H

HighTolerance

its not too far off his canopy if they are making his plants wilt - when they come around he can move the light back down...

Well I disagree.. If your lights are to close to your plants they will show burn.. Wilting is not necessarily because your lights are too close.. Could be overwatering and not enough airflow or too high of temps....peace d:anim_52:

Both of you guys were right. The heat was high because the light was too close, however besides the heat the light wasn't the problem. I also let them dry out a good bit to make sure it wasn't overwatered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom