Switched to Jack’s 123 and yield is terrible

• Thread starter theNedster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
theNedster

theNedster

I am so bummed out. I switched to JR Peter’s Jack’s 123 and recently harvested my first run with it. I ran clones of Ethos Cookie Rbx that I have run before. With my method of growing I end up 2-3 oz per plant. I ran Jack’s at the recommended PPM’s and also added silica, and molasses for carbs. Also microbes. The plants looked just fine, and the buds even were the same size.
My yield is less than 1oz per plant. I‘m sickened.
I switched from Advanced Nutrients and I’m extremely disappointed. WTF could account for this huge dip in yield?

Anthem

Anthem

I am so bummed out. I switched to JR Peter’s Jack’s 123 and recently harvested my first run with it. I ran clones of Ethos Cookie Rbx that I have run before. With my method of growing I end up 2-3 oz per plant. I ran Jack’s at the recommended PPM’s and also added silica, and molasses for carbs. Also microbes. The plants looked just fine, and the buds even were the same size.
I switched from Advanced Nutrients and I’m extremely disappointed. WTF could account for this huge dip in yield?
hwo did you mix the Jacks? no so much the PPM but did you weight out each portion?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
experience, and jack's amendments are top line

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Is this for soil or hydro? Don't know anything about Jack's 1-2-3 but hopefully that's not the N-P-K ratio because if it is that's your problem. I mix my own nutrient from scratch with the basic six pack, Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Trace Elements, Potassium Silicate. Carbs? I've never seen carbs on the required nutrient list. I know plants make carbs through the magic of photosynthesis, but never heard of them up taking carbs as nutrients. Did you always do this when you had better yields?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Are you using Jack's?
no, i started off with Mega Crop but i jacks was another amendment that i was very interested for as well. It came down to one thing. Simplicity with maximum benefit so i went with MC. The reason i didn't take Jacks was cuz it was my 1st time growing and Jack's has alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllot of products. lol, didn't wanna buy it all until i figure whats what and which once i need.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Just went to Jack's website and unless I'm blind I don't see any product called Jack's 123. Please post a link to the product you have.

Anthem

Anthem

no, i started off with Mega Crop but i jacks was another amendment that i was very interested for as well. It came down to one thing. Simplicity with maximum benefit so i went with MC. The reason i didn't take Jacks was cuz it was my 1st time growing and Jack's has alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllot of products. lol, didn't wanna buy it all until i figure whats what and which once i need.
TBH Jacks is just 3 parts. 3 parts Jacks, 2 parts Calcium Nitrate and 1 part epsom salt by weight. That was the basic line up for years. They have modified the numbers to something like this 3.7 grams of Jacks, 2.4 parts Calcium Nitrate and 1.2 parts epsom salt. They have added tap water formulas and some additional products. They are selling a clone seedling single part for young plants. It seems impressive so far for me. Additionally they have added a product that is propably the same as Decision by NM and they have added a finisher their line all of these make sense to me. But everyone's needs are different. I was using Athena Pro but the stuff is just too hydroscopic for me. If you look at the Veg or Bloom wrong it adds water content that throws off the EC of the final mix. Which is a big deal if you have that problem with Jacks they actually publish the PPM of each component so you can get around an water uptake by the dry salt nutrients.
The nutrients for the plant is the most fucked up deal I think I have ever encountered. It is just a joke the way these companies go to market. I think most of them are just greedy bastards. I just did the 321 mix on A and the cost to me for enough to make 3067 gallons of just this is a little less than 5 cents a gallon. Company has been in the fert business for over 70 years so I would imagine there is not a whole lot they do not know about ferts.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

I was asking the OP. He says he switched from Advanced to a product called Jack's 123, which from what I can tell, doesn't exist. He's also using molasses so he's getting led down the myth trail. He thinks he's feeding his plants carbohydrates by doing so. Next, he'll be adding vitamin B I suppose. I hope he has the required poo in the bottom of the pot.

Now for you Anthem, you say you're mixing and one of the parts you use is Jack's. Jack's what? There are only 9 different products, but I guess that's a lot for some. They all contain a certain ratio of N-P-K, to which you are adding Calcium Nitrate which will boost your N as well as provide Calcium. What is your target N-P-K ratio? What is TBH?

Anthem

Anthem

I was asking the OP. He says he switched from Advanced to a product called Jack's 123, which from what I can tell, doesn't exist. He's also using molasses so he's getting led down the myth trail. He thinks he's feeding his plants carbohydrates by doing so. Next, he'll be adding vitamin B I suppose. I hope he has the required poo in the bottom of the pot.

Now for you Anthem, you say you're mixing and one of the parts you use is Jack's. Jack's what? There are only 9 different products, but I guess that's a lot for some. They all contain a certain ratio of N-P-K, to which you are adding Calcium Nitrate which will boost your N as well as provide Calcium. What is your target N-P-K ratio? What is TBH?
Ok so to start with TBH = to be honest.
Jacks 321 is the cannabis line of dry salt nutrients offered by J R Peters. Here is their website https://www.jacksnutrients.com/online-store/Jacks-321-p101469431. This is the Jacks 321 website.
Here is there feed chart for the line I am running. https://www.jacksnutrients.com/_files/ugd/3230c0_622ffd54850c4c5dbb8dc1f43f33e09a.pdf
And yes some add Molasses (none sulfur type) to their nutrients but they really do not know why. The idea behind it is not to feed the plant but the microbes. So to each their own.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Sorry didn't get the TBH in the context you were using, sounded like product. TPH Jack's. I know Jack's website and yes of course there's jack's 321. OP was saying 123 and he's not even part of this conversation anymore so this is a waste of time. I was trying to help someone out that sounded really confused. You don't sound confused, sounds like you have it together. Where's the OP?

Anthem

Anthem

Sorry didn't get the TBH in the context you were using, sounded like product. TPH Jack's. I know Jack's website and yes of course there's jack's 321. OP was saying 123 and he's not even part of this conversation anymore so this is a waste of time. I was trying to help someone out that sounded really confused. You don't sound confused, sounds like you have it together. Where's the OP?
He is probably out searching the web about why Jacks sucks so bad and cannot find much. My guess is he did not even read the instructions and just used say 1 teaspoon of Jacks. 2/3 of a teaspoon of Calcium Nitrate and 1/3 of a Epsom salt. or better yet he mix this in a 1 quart jar and put in the rez or what ever. The worst part about this product is it should really be called Jacks 312 because that is the mixing order. This happens a lot where people with low interaction do not stick around to find answers.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I know multiple people running 3-2-1 who are totally happy. I run a competitors copy. Envy Nutrients. Same ratios with the exception the magnesium and sulfur are in the Part 1 and calcium nitrate is Part 2. Due to shape of the granules in Part 2 each equals out to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I add a humic fulvic supplement I’m now anxious about. First time using the combination and then I read a scientific paper that added humic acid cuts THC production. Humic acid is what’s in molasses that feeds our microbes.

Research didn’t show why THC was reduced up to 37% compared to a control. Just the fact it did.

But Jack’s gives up nothing. Good stuff.

theNedster

theNedster

Yeah dude take it easy I’m right here. 1. Jack’s 123 is pretty common sorry you haven’t heard of it. 2. Lots of people use organic molasses and it works, you can see it literally within 24 hours. 3. I don’t think you are qualified to answer my question.
Here is the scenario. YES I weighed out the 321 components and mixed them correctly. I supplemented the additives I described before. I use coco. This is my first time using Jack’s but I have been growing a long time, probably longer than you.
So. I’m going to use the Capulator recipe and try to dial it in hopefully that has what I was missing for trace elements through the last run.

fishbuds

fishbuds

Update. I just read some of these posts. WTF is wrong with you people? You sound like little kids. It’s actually hilarious.
far as i can see, peeps are trying to help you out, but you didnt stick around to discuss your thread. granted, not everyone has the time to sit by the computer all day, but you did ask for advice, sooo there's that.

i see a couple of prickly notes, but nothing to get bunched up about. this is a decent enough place, a few hotheads around but nothing like some of the other sites.

i hope you sort this out quick and get back to blasting out big'ole nugs, how about some pics of your past buds?

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Hey Ned, not sure if this is any help but i'm also running Jack's in coco. I stopped weighing Jack's by weight after getting a few different bags and seeing that my EC was off from bag to bag when measuring by weight. I'm assuming this is because I was weighing small amounts and also the amount of atmospheric water the fertilizer absorbs changes the weight of the salts. I also use a different brand of CalNit that gives me a little bit more Ca. since i'm now in coco. I'll also mention that i'm using RO and never had to supplement CalMag.

I make concentrated A/B solutions and measure by ppm to get to my desired EC using the same 321 ratios JR Peter's recommends. PM me if you'd like the math on how to do this. I find it easier but YMMV.

Also, if you're running Jack's at their recommended EC, it's a pretty heavy feed. I'd check your runoff every few weeks and see where things are. Might be a good idea to reset your coco every few weeks if it's getting a little salty. I noticed after around 3 weeks my runoff was EC was getting higher than i wanted so I just ran a bunch of Jack's through my coco containers until runoff was close to what i was putting in. The stuff is dirt cheap, who cares if you waste a little.

Not sure if this will fix your yield problem but figured i'd offer a different approach and things to try if you wanted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom