• Start date
  • Tagged users None
jguit

jguit

Supporter
1 part Jacks 5/12/26
1 part Calcium Nitrate
zero parts Epsom salt

base nutes mixed at the 1:1 ratio and provided at the desired PPM for each stage.

Fulvic acid during veg. TPS Gold Silica and raw cane sugar for the whole grow. Chitosan during bloom.
That's very similar to what I run using PureCal CalNit (13-0-0 18%) instead of Jack's (15-0-0 18%) Calnit. It bumps calcium up a bit without going overboard with N. I dump about 30 ppm of epsom salt in but i don't even think it's necessary like you've already found.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I think this is what is being referred to.

To many ingredients for me personally..
Boy howdy. Keep it simple.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Pretty cool. These guys are pretty smart. In fact they seem to know better than a company that has been producing nuts for over 70 years. I guess they most know something the rest of us will only hope to learn
I use a copy of Jack’s from a company that’s been in business since 1962 making hydroponic nutrients. Ran out last year and a friend gave me some nutes to use in the meantime. AN Iguana. Said he burned his plants with it but maybe I’d have better luck. Never heard of it.

Organic. 1 tablespoon per gallon for veg. Same for the bloom. Decided to keep using it on half the plants including through flower. Stuff worked pretty darned well. It really did. Especially the Grow.

Got my powdered nutes I use and didn’t buy any more Iguana. But I would if I had to. Simple and the plants loved it in Pro Mix.

Oh. It’s Iguana Juice. Whatever. It works.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Been growing since 05. Always hydro, always used Advanced until recently switched over to mixing from scratch. A quick stop to FloraFlex but that was very short. When you make that switch it makes you more analytical of the N-P-K ratio, to say the least. You are immediately looking for a starting point and wanting to see what others and other products are doing. When you hear someone say they are using a product call 123 it makes you think they mean the NPK ratio. Even the real name 321 sounds even more like an NPK ratio (but it is not) because the actual ratio most use is 312 and lately the trend to 212 from start to finish. So I promise I was not being obtuse, just trying to be exact so I could understand what was being discussed. I still don't understand why some insist on calling it 123 and actually take a stand for it Why don't you call it Jack's BING BANG BOOM. What's the difference? You're just making things up. Personally, I use Jack's Bah Fong Gule. It's awesome.

From what I can gather, Jack's 321 mixing formula will yield you about a 2-1-2 NPK which is great. Pete_Phreak, by adding Calcium Nitrate is increasing the N and likely getting closer to a 3-1-2. Also great. He's leaving out the Mag Sul so it must be in there from somewhere else. Where might that be from? Doesn't sound like he has a magnesium deficiency. Any guesses?

Flora Nova Bloom is 4-8-7 which is 1-2-1.9 roughly, if I'm not mistaken is exactly the Lucas Formula. Not my choice of a ratio but to each their own. It will probably work ok but might not be optimal. For me so far, 2-1-2.5 in flower is working great, 3-1-2 veg. My plants are better than ever. Maybe leaving out fillers and dyes makes a difference.

As far as listening to companies that have been around for 70 years? That's the exact logic that will get you screwed in life. The one thing they are good at is getting your money, that's why they were able to stay around for 70 years. After now mixing my own, there isn't a premixed product I would buy again ever. Why? It's all the same chemicals as in exactly the same. There's no magic. None. The only magic is when you mix your own you leave out all the fillers and dyes. Way easier than Advanced because there're less items, (hmm) and much more fun. But don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/molasses-for-plants/ is a great place to learn about molasses and why it's used. I'm not telling anyone not to use anything because I say so. But I can challenge you to think and explain the process. If you don't want to participate fine.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

My NPK calculates to (3.86 - 1 - 4.13). Cal Mag ratio is 3:1. Including my tap water.

Anthem

Anthem

Been growing since 05. Always hydro, always used Advanced until recently switched over to mixing from scratch. A quick stop to FloraFlex but that was very short. When you make that switch it makes you more analytical of the N-P-K ratio, to say the least. You are immediately looking for a starting point and wanting to see what others and other products are doing. When you hear someone say they are using a product call 123 it makes you think they mean the NPK ratio. Even the real name 321 sounds even more like an NPK ratio (but it is not) because the actual ratio most use is 312 and lately the trend to 212 from start to finish. So I promise I was not being obtuse, just trying to be exact so I could understand what was being discussed. I still don't understand why some insist on calling it 123 and actually take a stand for it Why don't you call it Jack's BING BANG BOOM. What's the difference? You're just making things up. Personally, I use Jack's Bah Fong Gule. It's awesome.

From what I can gather, Jack's 321 mixing formula will yield you about a 2-1-2 NPK which is great. Pete_Phreak, by adding Calcium Nitrate is increasing the N and likely getting closer to a 3-1-2. Also great. He's leaving out the Mag Sul so it must be in there from somewhere else. Where might that be from? Doesn't sound like he has a magnesium deficiency. Any guesses?

Flora Nova Bloom is 4-8-7 which is 1-2-1.9 roughly, if I'm not mistaken is exactly the Lucas Formula. Not my choice of a ratio but to each their own. It will probably work ok but might not be optimal. For me so far, 2-1-2.5 in flower is working great, 3-1-2 veg. My plants are better than ever. Maybe leaving out fillers and dyes makes a difference.

As far as listening to companies that have been around for 70 years? That's the exact logic that will get you screwed in life. The one thing they are good at is getting your money, that's why they were able to stay around for 70 years. After now mixing my own, there isn't a premixed product I would buy again ever. Why? It's all the same chemicals as in exactly the same. There's no magic. None. The only magic is when you mix your own you leave out all the fillers and dyes. Way easier than Advanced because there're less items, (hmm) and much more fun. But don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/molasses-for-plants/ is a great place to learn about molasses and why it's used. I'm not telling anyone not to use anything because I say so. But I can challenge you to think and explain the process. If you don't want to participate fine.
If it was not for a professional consult or 2 or 3. You might have a point. But for a cost of like 5 cents a gallon. My Time is more valuable than standing around mixing dry salts. You are welcome to see for yourself. Look up @BillFarthing and Ballon on a budget tread. BTW saying u have been growing since 05 with a 15 year break is ppretty much a joke

theNedster

theNedster

Thanks everyone. I have a bunch of AN stuff left over, so I’m going to switch back immediately till I identify exactly what my issue with the Jack’s was on this last run.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Maybe you're the joke Anthem. Twice you've taken the time to come on here and bash me for mixing my own nutrients claiming it's not worth your time valuable time to mix. But you have all the time to come on here and repeat yourself. Maybe the concept of your time being valuable is the big joke here?

theNedster

theNedster

UPDATE: Circling back, figured out what I did wrong with the Jack’s. I wasn’t using a separate container to mix the part B with water before adding to the solution. I misunderstood the directions to mean not to mix the powders, and I didn’t realize I need a separate container to mix the B with water before mixing it into the solution.
My friend says that this ruined the solution. So I’ll be off to the races with the Jack’s again I’m already so sick of opening all those bottles of AN and paying such high prices.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
UPDATE: Circling back, figured out what I did wrong with the Jack’s. I wasn’t using a separate container to mix the part B with water before adding to the solution. I misunderstood the directions to mean not to mix the powders,
You understood correctly. If it mixed clear and not cloudy, you did it right.
and I didn’t realize I need a separate container to mix the B with water before mixing it into the solution.
My friend says that this ruined the solution. So I’ll be off to the races with the Jack’s again I’m already so sick of opening all those bottles of AN and paying such high prices.
No need to dissolve the CalNit in a separate container before adding it to the rest..

Add the 5-12-26 (part A) and epsom (if using) to your mixing tank and let that dissolve and then add your CalNit (part B) and let that mix.

If running Jack's at 3g/2g/1g you should wind up somewhere around 1.8 EC if running with RO water, higher if running full strength @ 3.78/2.52/1.2

Last edited:
theNedster

theNedster

You understood correctly. If it mixed clear and not cloudy, you did it right.

No need to dissolve the CalNit in a separate container before adding it to the rest..

Add the 5-12-26 (part A) and epsom (if using) to your mixing tank and let that dissolve and then add your CalNit (part B) and let that mix.

If running Jack's at 3g/2g/1g you should wind up somewhere around 1.8 EC if running with RO water, higher if running full strength @ 3.78/2.52/1.2

Well now I’m still stumped.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Are you sure another parameter wasn't missed in your last grow? Almost seems like your plants could have gone a bit longer for one reason or another.

theNedster

theNedster

Are you sure another parameter wasn't missed in your last grow? Almost seems like your plants could have gone a bit longer for one reason or another.
No, nothing out of the ordinary. Obviously something was off but still unidentified. Totally spooked me though as I have been growing a long time and I’ve become pretty accurate at estimating my yields, this really threw me.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
No, nothing out of the ordinary. Obviously something was off but still unidentified. Totally spooked me though as I have been growing a long time and I’ve become pretty accurate at estimating my yields, this really threw me.
Like you said, the obvious difference is Jack's vs AN but the discrepancy in final weight seems crazy.

How many gallons of Jack's are you mixing at a time?

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Heard nothing but good but have seen nothing impressive regarding Jacks

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

“a bad carpenter blames his tools

proverb Said of someone who performs a job poorly or unsuccessfully but lays the blame on external factors, rather than taking responsibility for their own failure.”

jguit

jguit

Supporter
If you take a deep dive into fertilizers, it's hard to knock Jack's ratios. One could argue that you can cut the epsom salt and increase calcium but it's a pretty great base recipe as is.

Nitrogen. 148.99
Phosphorus. 51.53
Potassium. 215.49
Calcium 132.27
Magnesium. 88.01 (62.9 without epsom)
Sulfur. 117.9 (84.88 without epsom)
Boron. 0.50
Copper. 0.15
Iron. 3.00
Manganese. 0.50
Molybdenum. 0.19
Zinc 0.15