Switching From 24 Hour Veg To 20

• Thread starter 1StCavApache
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1StCavApache

1StCavApache

Any issues going to 20 hours after 4 weeks into veg. I have been running 24 hours since germinating them because I was planning on getting room in my big tent but my Gorilla Glue and Blue Dream are taking their time and I ain't gonna rush them. I Just have had some strains do weird shit when they have had the timing messed with during veg and thought I'd pick some of your brains. The strains are Blue Bubba, which is Bubba Kush x Blue God and Triangle Kush x Steve Lemme OG which was gifted from some fellow vets and the first OG strain I am trying out. There's also some Purple Indica in there as well from Hazeman seeds but I feel pretty safe about those not reacting at all to the switch. Thanks for any help and opinions.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Any issues going to 20 hours after 4 weeks into veg. I have been running 24 hours since germinating them because I was planning on getting room in my big tent but my Gorilla Glue and Blue Dream are taking their time and I ain't gonna rush them. I Just have had some strains do weird shit when they have had the timing messed with during veg and thought I'd pick some of your brains. The strains are Blue Bubba, which is Bubba Kush x Blue God and Triangle Kush x Steve Lemme OG which was gifted from some fellow vets and the first OG strain I am trying out. There's also some Purple Indica in there as well from Hazeman seeds but I feel pretty safe about those not reacting at all to the switch. Thanks for any help and opinions.
Welcome..
IMO, as long as the genetics are stable, and you are dealing with photos..there should be no problem going from 24/0 to 20/4..I usually take mine from 24hrs to 18hrs, no problem..UNLESS they get less that 15hrs light.

Hackerman

Hackerman

If you are doing this to keep them short, you're doing the opposite. Switching from a 24 to a 20 hour daylight will make your plants stretch. So, essentially, you'll be making them taller by doing that. You will have less leaf growth from less photosynthesis. But, the plants will be taller.

Not a whole lot you can do to stunt growth other than keeping the roots compact. I can control my clone size and growth (to some extent) by keeping them in the solo cups longer. But, once the roots have room to grow.... the plant grows.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

If you are doing this to keep them short, you're doing the opposite. Switching from a 24 to a 20 hour daylight will make your plants stretch. So, essentially, you'll be making them taller by doing that. You will have less leaf growth from less photosynthesis. But, the plants will be taller.

Not a whole lot you can do to stunt growth other than keeping the roots compact. I can control my clone size and growth (to some extent) by keeping them in the solo cups longer. But, once the roots have room to grow.... the plant grows.
I do too, except I made these to keep them going even longer ($1 + soldering iron (or drill) for the holes. Keeps the roots from circling and becoming root bound.
Air pot 2

1StCavApache

1StCavApache

Welcome..
IMO, as long as the genetics are stable, and you are dealing with photos..there should be no problem going from 24/0 to 20/4..I usually take mine from 24hrs to 18hrs, no problem..UNLESS they get less that 15hrs light.

Thanks, I have done so before with no issues and then I have done it and had the plants flip into flower and have to try and go back to to 24 and then reveg and the plants start to really get confused. The Triangle Kush x Steve Lemme OG cross sounds like it could be really nice but i know nothing about either strain so I was concerned about messing around with the timing with them more than anything else. They were a freebie from GuamMaineian seeds and the first OG Kush I am growing out. I have been growing mainly short to medium height Indica's or hybrids in a small 2x4x5 foot tent for the last 3 years but have a 4x4x7 foot tent now and I am using the 2x4 for veg and the 4x4 for flower. Thanks again for all the advice guys.
I have been have having a small nute lockout issue with the blue bubba's that I think is because they are getting root bound. I like the idea of the drilled solo cups by the way. I do that with my big pots all around the bottom with a very small drill bit. I have been keeping these plants them small so they would keep short node distance up to where I topped them since I was using a weak led for veg and also they might be in there for a while. I also keep them small until I sex them usually then I will go ahead and up-pot and decide which plants are keepers and which are getting tossed. The Blue Bubba's just started showing signs of nute lockout about a week ago with light edges around the biggest fan leaves and it is beginning to spread but the plant still looks totally healthy and stem is not purple or weak so I am not worried. Once it is transplanted and flipped I am fairly sure it will take off just fine.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I do too, except I made these to keep them going even longer ($1 + soldering iron (or drill) for the holes. Keeps the roots from circling and becoming root bound.
View attachment 831581

Do those work just like the air pots? Curious as it seems it would be way more cost effective to make these like you did vs buying those expensive pots. Very cool either way. Kudos.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yep..They work very well..In fact I even "flowered" a "turned Female" clone in one:
Males
PE2
PE2 sacs

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Very nice. Did you reverse that one or did it hermie on accident?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Reversed with CS..
TBH, I have never had an unplanned hermie (YET..LOL).
I did over spray a clone or two and it hermie out of control..

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I've had some selfed seeds (years ago) pop a naner or two before but nothing serious. More likely genetic than anything else. But that's cool.

Bannacis

Bannacis

From 24 to 20 ? I don’t think so dude
I've seen it on 24 hour light change to 20 and it starts to flower, I seen 24 hours light and put outside in spring and they start to flower. Just because you haven't seen it does not mean it can't happen. Now if it was bad genetics or what, but it does happen. Could be less intense light or a shaded area outside. had a friends do this just this year. started flowering in may/june. had em on 24 hour light.

Last edited:
eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

I've seen it on 24 hour light change to 20 and it starts to flower, I seen 24 hours light and put outside in spring and they start to flower. Just because you haven't seen it does not mean it can't happen. Now if it was bad genetics or what, but it does happen. Could be less intense light or a shaded area outside. had a friends do this just this year. started flowering in may/june. had em on 24 hour light.

Of course if you put them outside in May from 24 hr they will flower. You have to match your indoor photoperiod with what the natural daylight hrs and that won’t happen.

Indoors, 24 to 20 isn’t gonna cause flowering.

Hackerman

Hackerman

Outdoor growing is weird. I am in indoor grower but I have put plants outside on occasion for one reason or another. I have also had plants flower way before 12/12 outside. Not sure why it does that. Just nature taking over and providing what the plant actually needs rather than watching the clock. LOL

However, like someone said.... it ain't gonna happen indoors. I have tried flowering at more than 12 hours indoors and it just fucks things up. Plant doesn't know if it's flowering time or veg time. LOL

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

The outdoor thing happens because of photoperiod. Say you put clones out on May 1 that have been inside on 24/0 or even 18/6. If you calculate the amount of daylight hours on May 1 or so, your probably right at 15 hrs daylight maybe a bit less. So going from a indoor veg schedule to say 14/9 , is a big enough change to get the ladies attention and flower.

What we used to do is veg clones on 17/7 and slowly decrease to 15/9 and leave it that way for a few weeks. Then when we planted in mid May , the daylight hours almost matched our light cycle and they move right along like nothing happened.

Two other tricks we learned was to start seedlings outdoors from sprout in mid April or so and since they are seedlings and not sexually mature like a clone, you won’t get any plants flowering.

Second, wait until around the first week of June or later to plant outdoors and you will be close enough to the summer solistce that even a clone that was vegging on 18/6 will not flower

Outdoor growing is weird. I am in indoor grower but I have put plants outside on occasion for one reason or another. I have also had plants flower way before 12/12 outside. Not sure why it does that. Just nature taking over and providing what the plant actually needs rather than watching the clock. LOL

However, like someone said.... it ain't gonna happen indoors. I have tried flowering at more than 12 hours indoors and it just fucks things up. Plant doesn't know if it's flowering time or veg time. LOL

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

18/6 for the win. Plants love a rest period 24hrs and even 20 is just a waste of electricity

Top Bottom