Switching mature plant from rock wool to soil??

• Thread starter Burdlife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Burdlife

Burdlife

So I have recently been gifted a rather large almost 3 month old mother plant from someone to bring home. However this lady (Lambo) has been kept on a hydroponic system which I do not run at home. I use Coco Loco. She is in Grodan rock wool blocks, both the square Hugo and a slab underneath. She has also been run with the synthetic cogos nutrient line and I would like to switch her to roots organic, which I am currently running at home.

So I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have advice and/or experience on transplanting large mature veg plants from rock wool into soil?

2. Any advice on switching a plant ran hydro from synthetic to organic nutes?

What my current plan to do is first, flush the plant of all its synthetic nutes (I have fair reason to believe it may have a lot of salt buildup). Starting last night I have been running straight RO water through the plant and will continue to do so for the next couple of days when I transplant or until I have a low-reading ppm runoff? After about three days I plan on taking off the plastic of grodan blocks, removing excess rock wool and just burying in soil with some mycho and other beneficials. Ill make Sure to keep the center of the pot moist until roots fill in since the rock wool will probably dry out faster. Once the plant is in soil I will begin using my organic nutes. Let me know what you guys think!

I’m gonna upload a pic of this lady, excuse her I took the pick right after moving her when she had a trash bag over her so looking a little freaked out.

ps. I’m new here too, this is my first post!

Switching mature plant from rock wool to soil
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I was going to use coconut

I was planning on doing a 10 gal fabric pot with Coco Loco which I guess is close to what you are saying. I just wanted to keep it consistent with everything else in the garden.

Now I'm curious to see the rest of your garden, if that monster Mom in a 10 gallon pot of coco is consistent with the rest of it, must be some garden!

Burdlife

Burdlife

clone it out and start it over
I definitely took a few clones to keep it going but I was interested in seeing if it would be possible to transplant it into soil. I might be able to get more in the future, and it would be nice if I could have a nice harvest from some plants that I don’t have to veg out myself.

Burdlife

Burdlife

Now I'm curious to see the rest of your garden, if that monster Mom in a 10 gallon pot of coco is consistent with the rest of it, must be some garden!

hahaha in terms of medium at least, definitely not size this lady is a beast and is going to make this flower cycle a tight squeeze for two plants lol

I’ll post some updated pics of it in the room in the next day or two

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I definitely took a few clones to keep it going but I was interested in seeing if it would be possible to transplant it into soil. I might be able to get more in the future, and it would be nice if I could have a nice harvest from some plants that I don’t have to veg out myself.

Oh it's very possible. Doesn't mean you want to do it. Mom's that have been chopped on constantly over their lifetime will never yield quite as good as fresh clones grown out. Also, in wool, you don't really have the root structure that plant needs for a plant that big in soil. Not to mention it's a different type of root structure between the mediums. Basically you plant is going to focus on rooting for a while to fill itself out. Going into something like coco would be a better option for the watering and root structure. You can still put it into soil and still have success but the likely hood of the plant going south is much higher. For me never worth my time or effort. Why I don't flower moms anymore. I take clones and restart them and they get trashed after 2 rounds.

Also comes down to if that is going to be indoors or out. Indoors I wouldn't even bother unless you want to continue it as a mom. Unless for some reason you veg plants out of 2 plus months in your setup.

Anthem

Anthem

Oh it's very possible. Doesn't mean you want to do it. Mom's that have been chopped on constantly over their lifetime will never yield quite as good as fresh clones grown out. Also, in wool, you don't really have the root structure that plant needs for a plant that big in soil. Not to mention it's a different type of root structure between the mediums. Basically you plant is going to focus on rooting for a while to fill itself out. Going into something like coco would be a better option for the watering and root structure. You can still put it into soil and still have success but the likely hood of the plant going south is much higher. For me never worth my time or effort. Why I don't flower moms anymore. I take clones and restart them and they get trashed after 2 rounds.

Also comes down to if that is going to be indoors or out. Indoors I wouldn't even bother unless you want to continue it as a mom. Unless for some reason you veg plants out of 2 plus months in your setup.
Stupid question Cemchris, if I understand your post correctly. You are using your mom's for a couple of rounds and then trashing them. Do you have any trouble with drift? I hear about it and I try to keep the moms around longer because of concerns.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Stupid question Cemchris, if I understand your post correctly. You are using your mom's for a couple of rounds and then trashing them. Do you have any trouble with drift? I hear about it and I try to keep the moms around longer because of concerns.

Quite the opposite. Reason I restart mom's so frequent is it keep the likely hood of something going south with a bigger plant in a smaller container lower. That and space is always a premium.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The caveat with this is ofc clone count. If I need to take 100 plus clones everytime Im going to run big mom's in 20 gals plus and keep them for a little but always have multi of them for backup.

Burdlife

Burdlife

You’re saying you think it’ll take two months to root and recover? I am indoors, and I was planning on flipping her into flower pretty much right after transplant. Maybe I shouldn’t do that and give it a little time to recover? I know it’s not an optimal project but my think is I am getting ready to flip another lady with no one ready to go in with her, so I figured if I have the space and light, I might as well give it a try. It’s all going to rosin anyways, the terp profile only the Lambo its absolutely nuts!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You’re saying you think it’ll take two months to root and recover? I am indoors, and I was planning on flipping her into flower pretty much right after transplant. Maybe I shouldn’t do that and give it a little time to recover? I know it’s not an optimal project but my think is I am getting ready to flip another lady with no one ready to go in with her, so I figured if I have the space and light, I might as well give it a try. It’s all going to rosin anyways, the terp profile only the Lambo its absolutely nuts!

No im saying if you are indoors the size of that plant is a little crazy unless you grow plants that big before you flip them and have extra tall ceilings.

Burdlife

Burdlife

Some updated pics from today. Just got to transplanting, decided to go with coco instead of soil in a 10 gal smart pot. Also have her first round of roots organic, just had been getting pure RO the past few days. Got her all trellised up in the room and did a bunch of bottom trimming. I’m going to give her a day to adjust followed by 24 hours of dark tomorrow and then go to 12/12. The first few pics are just the Lambo and the last pic has her Wedding Cake neighbor also 🌳🌲🌴

587A2731 F8DE 41FA 9080 C297794B22CC
FD209474 4B79 4834 AE7E 937D0B3E6798
A77188F7 CD9D 41ED 95BD A1E41139B31D
Burdlife

Burdlife

Still kicking, trying to keep up with the 5-7 gal a day I am having to put through her, started seeing some yellowing off of leaves from N deficiency but seems to be recovering good. I’m excited to see what will happen if I could just make it through the next couple of weeks of roots filling in into the pot. Did a deleaf today on them today, it is now day 3 of 12/12
0E5031E0 9F2F 4261 A5EE 725876F27361
65EBA77D ACE9 47AA BB12 B49D73FF424E

Burdlife

Burdlife

Been a while, but she is doing pretty good! We’re going into week six of flower now. I have been fighting the heat in the south west summer plus I’m not using the best lights so they don’t have the densest structure but they’re smelling beautiful and starting to get super frosty 😋

Latest posts

Top Bottom