Switching to 600's

• Thread starter TylerDurden119
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

I've decided to switch over to 600's from 3-1k. the plan was to get 5 600's, 4 running in the main room and then build a lil side room for breeding. stayin on par with my old consumption.

buuuuuut

whats n extra 600w(3-dual 600W). I also was running a light mover on the oddside 1k which was 200-300W?

I don't think I should worry about the extra 600 but i have a lil doubt somewhere in teh back of my head. soo whadya think?

symbiote420

symbiote420

The only reason I'd go back to 6s at this point of growing is if I just couldn't handle the heat.....I heard a quote in a movie before the dude said "I don't wanna go back in life man, I wanna move forward" LOL

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

The primary reason im doing this is to start a breeding room.

i figure 2 dual 6's with adjust a wings ill be pretty close to my old #'s. I run beds so i don't really need the penetration of 1k's. adding the extra 600 would give me a room to grow out more of the breeding projects, speeding up the process.

i heard the lumatek 600's pump out more lumens per watt than 1k's?

edit: my old set up was 2 1k's over a 4x8 bed and 1 1k on a light mover over a 4x8 bed fwiw. i just think the 4 6's r gona b more effecient?

symbiote420

symbiote420

Why not a 1k on a mover and save 200 watts and keep the big buds the 1k gives your indoor plants, my homie running 2 600s and he has garden envy big time bro, after he gets his money right he'll be grabbin a 1k.
This is my first grow with a 1k so higher yields are to come.

treebark1950

treebark1950

I have a few buddies who run 600's (3 600s per 4x8) and my colas are bigger every time, and my numbers are typically higher gpw. You may not need the penetration, but nothing beats the 1ks lumens. Lumens don't add up so it's not as intense light but more so different points at which the light hits the buds.

I'm a thouie guy, I've got some 600s but I only use them vertical as supplemental lighting Nd I use them in veg.

My 2 pennies

dankworth

dankworth

I have a few buddies who run 600's (3 600s per 4x8) and my colas are bigger every time, and my numbers are typically higher gpw. You may not need the penetration, but nothing beats the 1ks lumens. Lumens don't add up so it's not as intense light but more so different points at which the light hits the buds.

I'm a thouie guy, I've got some 600s but I only use them vertical as supplemental lighting Nd I use them in veg.

My 2 pennies

These guys are right. I messed around with 6s for years before getting 1ks. If I could do it all over again, I would have started and finished with 1ks.

6s are only cool when compared to 4s.

The length of the arc tube has so much to do with everything.
I would never go back to a 6 again. As a matter of fact, if I wanted to run 600w through a lamp, I would dim a 1k to 600w. I would never buy a dedicated 6 lamp or ballast.

I do not think there are any people with experience with 1ks and 6s that would advocate 6s. Your 1ks, in my opinion, are absolutely the best thing for you.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

the thing is im switching. i don't really want to go over what i was already consuming as far as hydro goes. the 5 600's would give me the main room covered by 4 and the other one would be for the breeding room/extra.

So what i was thinking is go up to 6 600's. which would allow me to run a dedicated breeding room as well a second flowering room.

I'm pretty sure the extra 600W isn't much considering im losing a light mover. So now my dilemna is the dual 600 or dimmable 1k's. im curious as to the lumen output of a 1k bulb @ 600w and how it compares the a normal 600 bulb.

only a couple days to decide n then i got my order going in.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

definitely dimmable 1Ks that way you got nothin to lose,best of both worlds.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

jus did some research on digi 1k's and solis tek looks like they gettin my biz.

so here's the thing, already got 2 dual 6's. got em off a buddy for cheap who was gettin out. so im gona b able to see the diff between a dimmed 1k and a true 6, if there is any.

dankworth

dankworth

The 6 in a 6 will have a truer color rendition. But the 1k lamp at 6 should outgrow the 6 lamp.

datDANK

datDANK

someone stated in a recent thread i can't find now...

that he switched from 1000 to 600's.. he said the biggest difference was the heat.. that is was very noticeable and the 600 were running way more efficient

also we've all read jorge cervantes book and he always says 600s are more efficient

symbiote420

symbiote420

600 watts = nice yield!
1000 watts = great yield!!
Efficiency is in the growers control, it's more efficient to grow fewer plants in some cases right?! I'm just trying to say efficiency is a term base solely on the grow's ability to do more with less. Less for one grower maybe too much for another, I speak from experience the 1k is kicking my 600's butt and this is my first run with it I will admit I burned my leaves a little bit but that was part of the learning curve in my eyes, this next run is doing sooo much better no burn at all and because I've become more efficient in my approach to gardening under the 1k I maximize it's productivity.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

someone stated in a recent thread i can't find now...

that he switched from 1000 to 600's.. he said the biggest difference was the heat.. that is was very noticeable and the 600 were running way more efficient

also we've all read jorge cervantes book and he always says 600s are more efficient

worrrd, thanks bro, same to you dankworth. last night i was thinkin bout findin a used light meter of ebay. not a priority but if i come across one, might as well.

i hear ya symbiote and on a single light basis yes you are right. BUT u got ur 1k right, now what if you got 2 600's to replace that single 1k. a 1k will cover 5x5 and a 6 will cover 4x4. so now you got a 4x8 area covered for an extra 200 watts. also the fact that they're cooler means you can drop em on the canopy(i don't use vented shades). n as far as the lumen output, im not tooo concerned as im going to digi from magnetic. lumens lost thru dropping size should be counter balanced by switching from magnetic to digi. digi ballasts boast of 20-30% increase in lumen output over comparable magnetic ballasts. so i've lost 40% of my lumens by goin to 6's but have gained 20-30% by going digital. so i've lost 10-20% lumen output but gained n extra 4x4 growing area for an extra 200 watts.

hypothetically lets say a 1k puts out a 100,000 lumens and a 600 puts out 60,000. take the 20-30% effeciency increase by going digital and take that away from the 1k lumens. we're now at 70-80,000 lumens(hypothetically what the 1k magnetic ballast puts out). now take the 600 and add the lumens not lost by not being a magnetic ballast(20-30%). 60,000*20-30% which gives you a light output of 72,000-78,000 lumens.

edit:overeem is a BEAST, dude musta been on horse steroids since he was kid:confused0054:

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

fuck 600's and Cervantes for spreading that around. 600's are a joke compared to 1000s IMO,, I thought they would be awesome, sure on paper they may sound good but in my garden is where I delcide. And the newest1000w ballasts/bulbs have almost exactly the same. lumens per watt output.

dankworth

dankworth

fuck 600's and Cervantes for spreading that around. 600's are a joke compared to 1000s IMO,, I thought they would be awesome, sure on paper they may sound good but in my garden is where I delcide. And the newest1000w ballasts/bulbs have almost exactly the same. lumens per watt output.

Chronic Monster is absolutely correct. I have used both. Going to 6s, even 2 6s instead a 1k, is straight up going backwards.
And digi ballasts being whatever percentage brighter is calculated by average light output vs magnetic ballast over the course of like a year. So figures are somewhat skewed.
But in my experience digis do kick so much ass over magnetics. Straight up way more light to the plant. Maybe not 30%, but it would seem easily 20% more in some circumstances.
Lumens/watt these days are the same for 6s as 1ks.
I used to hear about "you need the 1000s for the penetration" and I was like "fuckever, I read the shit out of High Times, I don't need the penetration, besides 6s have better lumens/watt"

And I ended up being wrong.
And 1ks will get you better quality colas than 6s.

It is so important to have an intense light source. With a long arc tube. The physics of this are undeniable once you have enough experience with both light sources.

I want all of us to have the best material. This is easier to do with 1ks.
And 6 lamps are the same price as 1k lamps. And you have to buy more reflectors. And almost all reflectors are designed to be used with 1ks. So running 6s in most reflectors is off-center, so f'ed up light footprint.

And less cords to swear at.

We just want what is best for you.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

if consumption wasn't an issue i'd rock 1k's all day. no doubt they are the best. Its what i used to run and was very happy. im really just doing this not cause i think the 6's r better, its out of necessity for breeding. I am going into this prepared to have lower #'s(marignal i hope) but I'll b able to get a breeding room going. everyones input has been greatly appreciated and absorbed.

I wish I wasn't running new shit all the time(tryin to find new keepers) so i could have a baseline to compare when i do switch.

maybe the time will come where consumption won't b an issue.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

I am running 600s for the first time after running 1K's for years. I am regretting it but i will give them a couple more runs before I make any decision to switch to 1K's. The buds are smaller, much smaller than I am used to. Im kinda pissed but I will deal with it lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom