Switching to led? will it help with heat

• Thread starter Chaostheory
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chaostheory

Chaostheory

I am having a heat problem.
8x8 grow room using 2 1000 watt bulbs. my heat is out of control. gets up tp 110. i have large ac and fans running.
If i turn lights down to 750 watts i can get it to about 94 degrees. my question is will it hurt plants (1 week into flower) to switch to led and will that help with heat? Thank You in advance

BigCube

BigCube

Yes, led will help a lot.
As for the plants reacting to them, I would guess that's strain and health dependent.

If your strain is strong and doesnt shit the bed when little things happen, and your plants are otherwise healthy it shouldn't be a problem.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Better to figure out how to properly cool what you have because 2 1000’s in an 8x8 area is about 20 watts per square foot low for best results.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Also keep in mind not all LEDs are created equal. If you go with some that are efficient and run the driver outside the grow area it should help substantially. Otherwise if you would rather run HID you can get exhausted reflectors that will do a good job of drawing the heat out and away from your plants. Just be mindful of the fact you need to do everything possible to suck out the heat or create as little of it as possible.

NukaKola

NukaKola

Going LED will help with temps, however it is not worthwhile unless you get quality LED's such as HLG, Timber, Gavita, Fluence. If you need a more budget option you can go with Kingbrite or Meijiu from Alibaba, they still use Samsung diodes and Meanwell drivers and are much cheaper, similar to Spider Farmer but half the price. Stay away from blurple lights.

LED's can grow good bud with 30-40w per sq ft whereas with HID's you usually want around 50w per sq ft. That being said, your 2000w of HID could be replaced with 1400w of quality LED's and grow just as good if not better.

HID's also radiate most of their heat downward which raises leaf surface temp, requiring cooler room temps. Usually around 78-80F. LED's on the other hand radiate much of their heat upwards from the heatsink/driver causing lower leaf surface temps meaning the plants thrive better when room temps are 83-85F.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Growing style should also be considered when switching lights.

If you grow scrog then quantum LEDs are your best friend. The light spread and intensity are engineered for this style of growing.

If you’re not doing scrog then you may want to check out COB (circuit on board) leds or even CMH as those will penetrate much deeper into the canopy and produce better results.

If you mix growing styles with the wrong type of light then you’ll have diminished returns and be underwhelmed by the results.

NukaKola

NukaKola

Growing style should also be considered when switching lights.

If you grow scrog then quantum LEDs are your best friend. The light spread and intensity are engineered for this style of growing.

If you’re not doing scrog then you may want to check out COB (circuit on board) leds or even CMH as those will penetrate much deeper into the canopy and produce better results.

If you mix growing styles with the wrong type of light then you’ll have diminished returns and be underwhelmed by the results.
Agreed! A mixture of HLG’s QB 288’s and QB 96’s or Timber COBs is a nice blend of spread and penetration.

R

redshift75

If you need a more budget option you can go with Kingbrite or Meijiu from Alibaba

ill throw in
Shenzhen Yuanhui LED Limited
into the supplier hat from alibaba. Got my custom ones ordered and to me here in like 5-7 days... half the batch came first day half 2nd day. Great boards with Legit Samsung diodes as well. I just got a deal on 8 more. id have to check but this last order it ended up being like $119 and change shipped. They gave me a deal cause they were ready to ship. If i went with something they had in stock vs another custom order. so was a good trade off again.

So far they have proven to be a trustworthy and responsive dealer in my experience.

NukaKola

NukaKola

ill throw in
Shenzhen Yuanhui LED Limited
into the supplier hat from alibaba. Got my custom ones ordered and to me here in like 5-7 days... half the batch came first day half 2nd day. Great boards with Legit Samsung diodes as well. I just got a deal on 8 more. id have to check but this last order it ended up being like $119 and change shipped. They gave me a deal cause they were ready to ship. If i went with something they had in stock vs another custom order. so was a good trade off again.

So far they have proven to be a trustworthy and responsive dealer in my experience.

Good to know! I’m using Kingbrite 3500K 240w’s all white diodes with HLG 96 Elite V2’s (2 per HLG-320H-54A driver) and it’s a great blend of spectrum, spread, and penetration without breaking the bank.

Top Bottom