Switching to MH the last 10 days of flowering????

• Thread starter rebornfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

rebornfarmer

Has anyone ever heard of switching to MH from HPS the last 10 days of flowering? Anyone try experimenting with this? just curious. I think i would rather switch to a dual arc the last 2 weeks then full MH (shock and all) i dont know but heres the article.

Ask Ed: Grow Questions and Answers
By Ed Rosenthal - Saturday, September 6 2008
Tags: Ask Ed,CC69.

Metal halide lamps emit more UV-B light than high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps, so for more potent buds it is a good idea to use MH lamps the last 10 days of flowering. Air-cooled light reflectors have glass covers that absorb UV-B light. If it is feasible, remove it, so the light can shine unobstructed on the plants. To prevent the garden from overheating, keep the inline fans on, which will draw air in from the garden space to cool the lights

bigdawg

bigdawg

could you replace the glass on the air cooled reflectors to a non UV absorbing type glass? Im using the sunpulse bulb route with 6.4 K veg., 3 K flower, hit it with 10 K last couple weeks, all bulbs being MH. beings I never use HPS bulbs for flowering, I think shock will be slight. maybe hit it with the 6.4 K bulb again for 1 week, then 10 K last week for better transition.:mysterymachine:

J

Jobo

I would just suggest getting a uvb 10.0 light and putting it in your garden for a couple hours in the middle of each light cycle.

There the reptile lamps you can buy in stores. Only use it for a few hours each day and dont be in the room when its on.

R

rebornfarmer

I would just suggest getting a uvb 10.0 light and putting it in your garden for a couple hours in the middle of each light cycle.

There the reptile lamps you can buy in stores. Only use it for a few hours each day and dont be in the room when its on.

I think im gonna try dual arc bulbs if my quantum ballast can handle them without ruining the bulb. both spectrums just seems more natural.

R

Rolln J

tex was saying in another thread that they dont do well with digital ballasts...

yezmar420

yezmar420

Why would the plants get shocked?..I don't see how that would make sense. Only thing I see happening is yield going down...

R

REGISTRD

intresting.... kinda reminds me of the old days where peeps swore to use both hps and Mh side by side...... still dont know if that ever proved to work....

B

budfarmer

I am curious as to what effect hps and mh light has on flowering my self, problem is it could take years of fucking around to figure it out. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that flipping and going to straight hps light might not provide enough blue spectrum to keep up with the plants requirements so that it can stay alive and be the healthiest it can be during flowering. On the other hand does mh light have enough red spectrum to stimmulate all out flower production ? Is the plant dying during flowering so fast that mh light would make no difference at all ? What about a compromise flip and go mh for the first week or two then full hps for the remaining 6 weeks.

R

rebornfarmer

I am curious as to what effect hps and mh light has on flowering my self, problem is it could take years of fucking around to figure it out. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that flipping and going to straight hps light might not provide enough blue spectrum to keep up with the plants requirements so that it can stay alive and be the healthiest it can be during flowering. On the other hand does mh light have enough red spectrum to stimmulate all out flower production ? Is the plant dying during flowering so fast that mh light would make no difference at all ? What about a compromise flip and go mh for the first week or two then full hps for the remaining 6 weeks.

I read that the MH pushes out more resin the last 2 weeks of flowering so maybe flip the hps over to MH the last 2 weeks, but im curious about the duration of flowering. The bulbs are 1000 watts (600HPS and 400MH). Here are some specs for Solarmax dual arc..
The result is "ONE" lamp with two simultaneous operating arc tubes that are optimized to operate on an S52 1000 HPS ballast, SOLARMAX "ONE" the best of both technologies.

100,000 lumens of specifically targeted output with a correlated color temperature of 2850 deg. Kelvin.

Product: HPST 1000W Super
Ballast: HPS Ballast S5
Lamp Jacket: T23
Overall Length: 390mm - 15.6"
Color Temp Deg. K: 2850
Lumens: 100,000
Life Hours: 24000

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Last round i had one of my 600 plantmax crap out, all i had to replace it was a 400 m.h. it was week 5 of flower when i noticed the bulb blown. I ran the 400 m.h. in place of the 600 hps, and noticed a HUGE difference by week 7, in resin production. It was an accidental learning experience. I plan on getting some 600 m.h.'s if possible to run the last few weeks of flower.

Forgot too mention there were 4 600's total, 8 plants, RDWC, the plants under the 6's were thicker by the end, and had more weight, the plants under the 400 were 2 ounces lighter each, but much more resin.

Venom818

Venom818

Last round i had one of my 600 plantmax crap out, all i had to replace it was a 400 m.h. it was week 5 of flower when i noticed the bulb blown. I ran the 400 m.h. in place of the 600 hps, and noticed a HUGE difference by week 7, in resin production. It was an accidental learning experience. I plan on getting some 600 m.h.'s if possible to run the last few weeks of flower.

thnx bro think i will try this i have my program down pretty good as far as weight goes but will see dont mind giving up some weight for better quality,anybody else tried it with good results

E

Elite Nugs

Forgot too mention there were 4 600's total, 8 plants, RDWC, the plants under the 6's were thicker by the end, and had more weight, the plants under the 400 were 2 ounces lighter each, but much more resin.

Weeks 5 and on of flowering is usually when they really pack on the trichomes anyway. Are you sure it was the MH bulb?

thnx bro think i will try this i have my program down pretty good as far as weight goes but will see dont mind giving up some weight for better quality,anybody else tried it with good results

Venom... I think you commented on something I posted about dropping the lights from 12/12 to 10/14. Once I drop the light hours, I also switch bulbs.

I've been running some of the same strains for quite a while now and once I drop the light cycle and switch bulbs... I see a huge difference in only a matter of a few days. Before I started doing this my buds looked great. After doing it, my buds looked even better.

Im about to do a small run of my LA Woman. I'll take before and after pictures, so everyone can see what Im talking about.

A

AliasAO

bump anybody try this with good results

I switched to MH the last 2 weeks of Flower during my last XJ13 grow. It was my first time switching in Flower.

In my opinion there isnt much difference but it did seem that the overall density of the buds was a bit more compact. Potency increase? Not enough imformation to conclude at this time.

No shock or anything on my plants part when i switched. I will attempt to follow Ed's guidelines and this time by removing the glass that covers the light. to see if that changes anything..

Are you planning on giving the MH a shot?

symbiote420

symbiote420

The MH does emit more UV-B because it's more abundant in the blue spectrum, I've run my Sour Diesel since 07 took my plants all the way through under just flos, then a MH, finally got a HPS. What I noticed with the flos the buds were a little smaller but more resinous than my HPS which I get my highest yields from, but my metal halide gave my buds their best taste the 3 runs I did under them the SD was a different plant in looks as well as under the flos, the plants were more leafier but the pistils seemed to curl and mature faster, as well as the trichomes, I was able to pull them in 60 vs 70 with the HPS. And to be a little more fair about the yields the HPS has more watts than the MH which did give me a pretty respectable yield. Since I got my MMJ card I've been gearing up to upgrade so maybe I'll do some side by side test with the same wattage bulbs and post them so we can draw a better conclusion on this matter.

By the way you're talking some potent shit using UV lights, be careful with those reptile bulbs, I've used a blend of 5.0 and 10.0 in several grows over the past 6 yrs, wear some sunglasses when you go in the room it's best to just cut them off when you're in there with them anyway.
*Please note that using too much UV-B will start to mutate shit in the plant, try not to use more than 10% UV to the total wattage you have. ex. 400 watt H.I.D/40 watts or less UV.

Venom818

Venom818

Weeks 5 and on of flowering is usually when they really pack on the trichomes anyway. Are you sure it was the MH bulb?

Venom... I think you commented on something I posted about dropping the lights from 12/12 to 10/14. Once I drop the light hours, I also switch bulbs.

I've been running some of the same strains for quite a while now and once I drop the light cycle and switch bulbs... I see a huge difference in only a matter of a few days. Before I started doing this my buds looked great. After doing it, my buds looked even better.

Im about to do a small run of my LA Woman. I'll take before and after pictures, so everyone can see what Im talking about.

thnx bro

I switched to MH the last 2 weeks of Flower during my last XJ13 grow. It was my first time switching in Flower.

In my opinion there isnt much difference but it did seem that the overall density of the buds was a bit more compact. Potency increase? Not enough imformation to conclude at this time.

No shock or anything on my plants part when i switched. I will attempt to follow Ed's guidelines and this time by removing the glass that covers the light. to see if that changes anything..

Are you planning on giving the MH a shot?

was thinking about it i might to see if it makes a difference im always trying to push to better my grows have switched from like 5 different nute company's and a million bloom boosters and root enhancers LOL luckily I know what my plants like so that helps a little

The MH does emit more UV-B because it's more abundant in the blue spectrum, I've run my Sour Diesel since 07 took my plants all the way through under just flos, then a MH, finally got a HPS. What I noticed with the flos the buds were a little smaller but more resinous than my HPS which I get my highest yields from, but my metal halide gave my buds their best taste the 3 runs I did under them the SD was a different plant in looks as well as under the flos, the plants were more leafier but the pistils seemed to curl and mature faster, as well as the trichomes, I was able to pull them in 60 vs 70 with the HPS. And to be a little more fair about the yields the HPS has more watts than the MH which did give me a pretty respectable yield. Since I got my MMJ card I've been gearing up to upgrade so maybe I'll do some side by side test with the same wattage bulbs and post them so we can draw a better conclusion on this matter.

By the way you're talking some potent shit using UV lights, be careful with those reptile bulbs, I've used a blend of 5.0 and 10.0 in several grows over the past 6 yrs, wear some sunglasses when you go in the room it's best to just cut them off when you're in there with them anyway.
*Please note that using too much UV-B will start to mutate shit in the plant, try not to use more than 10% UV to the total wattage you have. ex. 400 watt H.I.D/40 watts or less UV.

thnx bro might just try it

J

Jalisco Kid

A commercial grower may not tell But I can. I also run t100 uvb bulbs from phillips. I start 80%mh in veg. week 2-6 I am 60% hps.between week 6-7 I am back to 80% MH. I never get pm a side effect of running MH,uvb and good living. My buds are not bigger but have a more complex flavor. Clubs tell me my herb is stronger then most for the same strain, I beleve that is mostly from cool friends turning me on to good cuts. I mostly grow sat dom strains so that too has something to do with it.
I gotta go my camaron and smoked marlin tacos needs a cold beer to keep them company. JK

Top Bottom