Synthesize THC

• Thread starter kill-9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kill-9

Tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana, has attracted a lot of attention from drugs companies, and not just because of its psychoactive effects at staff parties.

The compound has a number of potential therapeutic benefits, such as being an appetite stimulator for people with AIDS or cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

But fabricating the compound isn't easy. Tetrahydrocannabinol is destroyed by heat and light, and is easily oxidised in air.

For these reasons, the various ways of making it are either unfeasibly long, or result in a disappointingly low yield. Which is why the Johnson Matthey company (JM) in London, UK, is excited about its latest breakthrough in which it reacts together a diester and olivetol to synthesize tetrahydrocannabinol.

JM says the yield can reach 75%, and the process can easily be scaled up to industrial levels.

Read the full patent: http://tinyurl.com/2uckse

F

FastForward

Cheers for posting this. Some interesting stuff in there. First up, why is Johnson Matthey applying for US patents? I thought GW Pharma was the only company with a home office license to develop MJ-based meds.

Secondly, anyone know what "20% EtOAc/hexane" means? A 20% mix of Ethanol to Hexane??

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Actually I think that 20% EtOAc / hexane is actually a modified hexane compound.

Something to do with the carbon linking. So if memory serves me right 20% of the hexane is bonded to ethyl acetate. But trust me my brain isnt working so great right now. haha.

K

kill-9

I have no idea about Euro Companies. I thought it was interesting to see other companies working with THC. 10 years ago nothing like this would happen.

Top Bottom