Synthetic Nutrients Kill Beneficial Bacteria???

• Thread starter manicgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Ive heard many times that using synthetic nutrients will kill the beneficial population in your substrate. Ive always used synthetic nutrients and have been inoculating my coco beds with beneficial bacteria and the results have been very positive. So if my synthetic nutrients are killing the beneficial's, why am I seeing such positive results from using them? I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this as well as any data or studies that back up this claim.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I think you will receive the benefits from bacteria for a short period but unless you keep you population up they will die off, especially in coco.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

My understanding is that the strength of synthetic salts you have to use to completely kill all your bacteria and microbes is very very strong

Its more likely that the salts are having a slight negative impact on your rhizophere

Some synthetic nutrients in your compostteas is a different story

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

not all chems are created equal. Some are more harsh than others. Some salts are juts that, salts, and are present in organic feeds also. So if you are not using a ton of chem, and you are repopulating your bennies, that makes sense it would be beneficial to some degree.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

I think it has to do with the nutes being chelated or not.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Some bacteria is salt tolerant to an extent ...also some of the best benefits come from bacteria and fungus that take 3-4 months to fullfil it's benefit

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
I think you will receive the benefits from bacteria for a short period but unless you keep you population up they will die off, especially in coco.

Yes, thats what Ive read. Thats why I reinoculate weekly.
I think it has to do with the nutes being chelated or not.
I use GH Flora series which I dont think are chelated. Still I see a large increas in vitality, vegative growth and root growth within 48 hours of feeding the plants with beneficials.

What Id really like to see here is studies, articles as well as data showing this to be the case..

turbo14

turbo14

The answer is yes, if that salt content of your mineral (salt) fertilizer is too high.. Many companies compile both together in most feeding regiments. Keep it low, keep it slow:)

turbo

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
The answer is yes, if that salt content of your mineral (salt) fertilizer is too high.. Many companies compile both together in most feeding regiments. Keep it low, keep it slow:)

turbo
Thanks for the response. Still begs the question..Whats too high? Is the standard nutrient strength fine? Is it just Ultra high synthetic nutrient dosages what kills them? Hopefully someone pops in with some data.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
5% v/v

It's extraordinarily high and you will kill your plants way before you kill the bacteria. Most people runaround like .1% if I remember right.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
5% v/v

It's extraordinarily high and you will kill your plants way before you kill the bacteria. Most people runaround like .1% if I remember right.

Thank you cap! I knew the results I were seeing werent in my head:woot:.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Yes, thats what Ive read. Thats why I reinoculate weekly.

I use GH Flora series which I dont think are chelated. Still I see a large increas in vitality, vegative growth and root growth within 48 hours of feeding the plants with beneficials.

What Id really like to see here is studies, articles as well as data showing this to be the case..
I use the GH Flora also with Caps bennies and Sea Green. Im seeing very positive results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom