T5 lighting needs per canopy size

• Thread starter aSilvrHaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

So I've been trying to do some reading on T5's and haven't come up with much as far as how much lighting you need for your canopy size.

I'm finally in the middle of piecing my setup together and have a 5'x5' tent setup that is going to house a DIY 4 bucket UC-type setup, with a 4'x4' screen over the top for a scrog. And before I head out to the hydro store, I've been pacing back & forth trying to decide which size T5 to get to veg the plants under.

Initially, I was going to get the C.A.P. MaxLume 4' 4 bulb. Then the 8 bulb, then the 6 bulb. THEN, I noticed that the Badboy setup wouldn't be much more $ for the same # of bulbs. And the last idea I came up with before coming to you guys for help with my decision, was getting 2 of the 4' 4 bulb setups and spreading it out. But if the 1 6 bulb'r would sufficiently cover the 4'x4' canopy while being cheaper cost-wise and energy-wise, then I would prefer that for the time being.

What do you think?
:passingjoint: :thinking

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
really the t5s provide no additional coverage beyond the footprint of the light

get your self the hydrofarm commercial (white) 8 banger and dont look back

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Basically I'm going with anything I can get through C.A.P. because their retail store, Discount Hydro, is down the street, I don't have to pay for shipping and can pay cash , & their site says they'll beat prices, so I can get the cheaper pricing from horticulturesource.com.

So what sort of footprint do the 8s put out?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
word

sorry bout those links - for some reason I thought it was discount hydro you were close too - lol

stoners

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

t-8's

Here's some pics under t-8's less than 20 bucks for the 2 bulbs and 4 foot fixture . I run 6 bulbs with ge bulbs...pretty good results??

DSCN1184 1280x1030
aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

lol in my eyes, a stoner is a good thing! ;p i did say Discount Hydro is my local store, but horticulturesource.com has the cheaper pricing and D-H price matches! :-D

Thanks for the pics Wonderinalice, but I think I'm gonna stick with the T5 setup.

Off to the store now, thanks again guys, gotta love the Farm fam'

S

seebobsled

T8's

I rock t8's they are cheap$$$$
If you want to HO like t5
take a 4 lamp ballast and wire to run 2 lamps over-driven like High output t5's
when I was looking at replacing t5's you could buy a case of t8's for what a couple - t5 bulbs.
I made my own fixtures

pm if interested in more T8 HO info ( if you can do basic wiring )

seebobski:weed-sign:

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

you need 16 lamps to cover a 4x4 area. two badboy 8 lamps will do the trick. ime 864W is comparable to 1K HPS (really 1096w) for yield and quality.

use all warm whites. t5 warm whites have a colour temp of 2900K, versus 2100K for an HPs, and 3000K for the dual arc bulbs (i.e. eye super blue).

a 1K hps puts out about 11,000 foot candles at 24". The badboy 8 lamp t5 puts out 15,000 foot candles at 6" (parity at 7"). you'll have practically no shading, and very even coverage.

B

blue-dreamer

I rock t8's they are cheap$$$$
If you want to HO like t5
take a 4 lamp ballast and wire to run 2 lamps over-driven like High output t5's

I am interested in knowing more, does that really work? does it ruin life of the bulbs or fixture? Is it causing the bulbs to use potential it already initially has?
Please PM me bcuz i am new and cannot PM anyone yet

xrob415x

xrob415x

I Use t8's. I use to run 2 per 4x8 table but the light distribution sucked!! every water I manually rearranged the plants so they could take turns under the light. Whatever isnt directly under the light will grow at like a 25% rate. I now put 3 t8's per table but would love to go with metal halides in the future.

Top Bottom