T5 vho's are they worth the extra money?

• Thread starter catdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
catdaddy

catdaddy

does anyone have any experience with the t5 vho's? i just want to use them for veg and cloning and i was wondering are they worth putting the extra money out or should i just stick to getting a regular t5 setup? thanks.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
whats that bro? is it a juiced up ballast or is it just some more expensive bulbs?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I haven't seen em first hand or heard but I'm thinking they are just a higher lumen count per bulb vs. reg t5 ho?

For clones I wouldn't recommend it as they don't need tons of light to grow legs but for the actual vegging if you don't want a low wattage HID these might be a great route to go!

baba G

catdaddy

catdaddy

here's the link check them out if you could. thanks for the speedy response i am going to order today and i just needed some reassurance before i do.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Ho = 54 watts at 5000 lumens
Vho = 95 watts at 7200 lumens

I have experienced both. The vho units run really quite warm. You will nit really get further spread with the vho just greater penetration. And unless your mums are over 5 ft then I would say a normal ho fixture will be more than enouugh.

I have a dr150 with 12 ho t5 strips. And it's packed to busting with many dense moms at over 4 ft Height. I do not get any of that lower canopy death that one tends to see with cfl.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
well shit man - 7200 v 5000 lumens per bulb - at first glance seems like a good value and the bulbs dont seem like they are that much more

BUT you are spending way more for the fixture + bulbs when you can buy an 8 banger with bulbs for 220

http://www.greners.com/grow-lights/fluorescent-grow-lights/t5-fixtures/commercial-t5-fixture.html

AND they seem to use a lot more power - I think my 8 banger is just over 440 watts that vho is 760

so to break it down

over 500 bucks for up to 57600 lumens that uses 760 watts

220 bux for up to 40,000 lumens that uses 454 watts

lol - not sure if Im helping you or making it worse

but if it were me Id go with the reg t5s and get 2 fixtures

the beauty of the 8 bangers is they have 2 switches so you can run half the bulbs

catdaddy

catdaddy

thanks that is really what i needed to hear. from the couples of books i brought they said not to go cheap on the lights and that's why i took a look at the vho's but wasn't really sure if they were worth the money. thank you all for your honest opinion and all is taken into consideration.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
glad somebody who actually used them could drop some knowledge

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
Holy shit i was just looking at these to day and what i decided was that i would rather spend 205 for a quantum badboy 8bulb t5 ho than almost 475 for a solarflare vho so i recomend the quantum badboy I will have mine next week.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yep, wholeheartedtly agree, for the money spent on VHO you can have more lumens for cheaper.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
oh one more thing go to monster gardens .com they have really good deals also i have found instead of just getting the 6500 k veg bulbs its actually better to get a mix of both veg and bloom it gives me the fastest tightest nodes yet

catdaddy

catdaddy

oh one more thing go to monster gardens .com they have really good deals also i have found instead of just getting the 6500 k veg bulbs its actually better to get a mix of both veg and bloom it gives me the fastest tightest nodes yet

thanks. does it matter what brand i go with? i seen a few, some more than others, but with the same stats. i take it that its because of the name or is it that one is more durable than the others. thanks once again.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I think there all the same.. I get the cheapest 1's & they work great

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Supporter
Ya i think it matters get the quantum triphospher ho t5's and that the only placeI have found that you can buy 4 packs of bulbs you dnt have to buy a 8 pack thats why i said if you get a 8 bulb get a 4pack of the bloom bulbs and a pack of the grow bulbs it puts of more lumens that way and gives you faster growth from what i understand thats what I'm gonna do anyway. total with the bulbs because none of the good ones come with bulbs any way the quantum t5 badboy with the badboy bulbs and shipping its gonna be like 300 for the vho it was almost 500 And from what i have read and researched this for like 3 hours today and every where i look they said the quantum t5 bad boy is the best out there.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
dont really see how a quantum is any better then the one I linked - comes assembled with bulbs for 220

Im pretty sure you need to assemble the badboy

at the end of the day a t5 is gonna be a t5

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Motherlode is correct the 1 for $220 is the 1 I got it comes with the bulbs & u can turn off 1/2 the lights & only use 4 if the plants r small or if it gets hot.. T5's r T5's there all the same juss get the best deal u can find

G

green guy

Speaking of T-5's, I use the Sunblaster reflectors and am quite pleased. In certain situations like cloning I find I have to remove the reflectors as the light is too intense.

S

smalltime99

Ya these are really work well and I like the feature of turning off 2 or 4 for a little less heat.

J

Jalisco Kid

If you can handle the extra heat I would go with the vho. I would ask myself what is the price difference in buying the fixture and dealing with the heat. Would that fixture produce more meds to cover the extra cost? It usually does. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom