T5 vs HID

• Thread starter MImedMJpatient
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
For anyone who is buying grow lights I would highly recommend looking into the LED grow lights out there. I will spare you the sales pitch, but they have come a long ways since 2010 and they are all I use for full cycle. If you want more info I would be happy to provide it.
The thread is T5 vs HID, I do appreciate the lack of sales pitch but I pick HID over T5 for floral production. And T5 over HID for cloning. They can't be compared as they do two different things and one won't replace the other...

But, by all mean, I'm interested in your info, if you'd be so happy to provide pics comparing a standard 4'x4' footprint yieldwise with LED's vs. HID.

Luke OReilly

Luke OReilly

Over the next few months I will post a thread with picks from a pure LED grow. Thank you for the feed back :)

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
How many cycles have you run full term on LED's? And how many full cycles on HID?

waayne

waayne

Over the next few months I will post a thread with picks from a pure LED grow. Thank you for the feed back :)

We'll be looking forward to your thread Luke........

Now back to the OP's question

baba's right on point>>> I also like T5's for clones and veg
for large veg plants>>>> IE: 36"-48' I use HID, and definitely HID for floral production

P

paulycali

MH Bulbs are far superior than any other light for the veg stage imo. They will grow way faster than the T-5's, LED's ect. Most people use the T-5's as it is much cheaper to run than HID lamps. T-5's equal a very easy to mantain veg room as HID's make for a little difficulty due to now having to use exhaust fan and so forth.

If you can pop seeds under HID lights more power to you. A little more difficult but definetaly the best and fastest way to get through the vegging stage. Seedlings and clones/teens take off under HID's. Just make sure the lights are the maximum distance away then slowly lower the lights. You will be flowering in no time for sure. Much sooner than any other light source

Veg= MH bulbs or T-5's. I have even vegged with HPS with great results

Flower= HPS bulbs the 2 weeks prior to harvesting switch to MH bulbs "increase resin production"

Good luck and hope this hepls :)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

very closed minded people here.

I am not closed minded and I did not try to offend you, I just seen too many "New Farmers" hop on threads about lighting and try to completely take over with sales pitches. Like "how much money you save on electricity" and "how close you can get the light to the canopy because they don't get as hot as HID". So I apologize if I offended you, but like waayne said I am very skeptical about people trying to sell LED's and Induction lights on these forums.

Max Frost

Max Frost

If anyone can point me to any threads or info about flowering with T-5's, I would be most grateful! :) I'm particularly interested in the VHO T-5's. I've looked and looked, but can't find any info here anywhere...but I feel like there's got to be and I'm just missing it! The search feature will not let me search for VHO, T-5, UNO, or any of my keywords, as they are too short...so no luck finding anything there either. Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,

Max :wacky:

ttystikk

ttystikk

If anyone can point me to any threads or info about flowering with T-5's, I would be most grateful! :) I'm particularly interested in the VHO T-5's. I've looked and looked, but can't find any info here anywhere...but I feel like there's got to be and I'm just missing it! The search feature will not let me search for VHO, T-5, UNO, or any of my keywords, as they are too short...so no luck finding anything there either. Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,

I have run veg and flower under incandescent, cfl, t12, t8, t5, led, mh and hps. It's all possible, but I think the game is in quality and quantity per watt spent. Everything does well for veg! Led is awesome, but expensive. HPS is the current favorite for bloom, due to both spectrum and sheer power. I have not seen any of the above lights add anything to a well set up HPS lit garden, but I am getting set up to try some kind of UVB source, and we will see if that makes any difference.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Just thinking out of the box for a moment, what about doing two big four foot by 8 bulb t5 units face to face and grow a plant between them. To keep the plant out of the bulbs, use a big piece of glass over each one. To provide lots of light intensity, keep the two 24" apart, or even less. Toss your favorite honey into bloom when its stretch will just about fill the space between the lights.

The downside is that 864 watts you're spending is not going to provide 87% of the yield of a 1kW HPS over a 4x4 table, not by a long shot.

Max Frost

Max Frost

Just thinking out of the box for a moment, what about doing two big four foot by 8 bulb t5 units face to face and grow a plant between them. To keep the plant out of the bulbs, use a big piece of glass over each one. To provide lots of light intensity, keep the two 24" apart, or even less. Toss your favorite honey into bloom when its stretch will just about fill the space between the lights.

The downside is that 864 watts you're spending is not going to provide 87% of the yield of a 1kW HPS over a 4x4 table, not by a long shot.

Yeah...I was just thinking the same thing! It'd be a hell of a fun experiment tho, and I'm sure would grow a monster plant. I'm a HPS fan first and foremost, and if I could be running them right now, I would! ;) I've ordered the new UNO VHO (XHO) T-5 in a 4 foot, 4-tube config. I haven't been able to find ANY information on flowering with the VHO's. I did finally find a thread here at the farm, where someone got really nice results flowering with a standard HO T-5 though, so it has given me fresh hope! Here's a link if anybody's interested: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/closet-t-5-micro-grow.17512/

The UNO light will be here Monday, so I'll have a journal up showing the VHO T-5's in flowering, but if anybody knows of any others, I'd greatly appreciate a hook-up! Thanks!

Best,

ttystikk

ttystikk

The issue with fluorescent type bulbs is one of light intensity- or rather the lack of it. For these to work, they must be very close to the plant. A four foot long tube will be difficult to snuggle the plant up to effectively, horizontally or vertically. If you got several of the lights you mentioned, then you could grow between them.

joecamo

joecamo

Hey Luke I was wondering if you had any brands in mind for L.E.D. Lighting

Natural

Natural

T-5's suck in a tent..block too much air flow. Any compact light would be better.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

HO T5's are the shit for veg IMO. Its just a node stackin muthafucka! MGG

Top Bottom