T5's?

• Thread starter lostnFound02
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lostnFound02

Gonna get my first T5.. I want to know what brand is good for vegging.. I was thinking of the 8 bulb T5 but don't know which is an affordable reliable brand..

Cort

Cort

For the same power consumption as a 8 bulb t5 set up you could do a 400w hps and get 20k extra lumens.

A 4 foot t5 uses about 50w produces 5k lumens (4500-5000)

so, your 8bulb runs about 400w producing about 40k lumens

400w hps produces about 60k lumens

bit more spendy to set up, but higher lumens for same wattage will pay for itself

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

For the same power consumption as a 8 bulb t5 set up you could do a 400w hps and get 20k extra lumens.

bit more spendy to set up, but higher lumens for same wattage will pay for itself
MHs/HPSs win the lumens (luminance projected from lamp) battle but what is the light value when measuring it from a plant or canopies eye view? Footcandles (luminance received) is a more meaningful measurement to make comparisons with. t-5's can be placed 3" from the plant top. 400w HIDs are typically spaced 18"-24" above the canopy.

When the light pattern/spread are taken into consideration, the t-5s win that battle hands down. T'5s are 56 w if I'm not mistaken, so add another 48 watts to your calc on an 8 banger ^^. I run both in veg, and I'll take t-5s over MH's in early-mid Veg any day- not even close in terms of efficiency early on when the canopy top is even and penetration hasn't, yet, become an issue.

L

lostnFound02

Cort thanks for your input but I know T 5's will be better for veg. I just want to know the type of Brand for the value. Please any one that uses T'5 and would recommend a reliable affordable T5. I dont want to debate about T'5,400w,600w, or 1000w. I just simply want to know about an affordable reliable T5. Thanks

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Did you check out the link? ^^
I think the bang for the buck you get will be hard to beat but I'm curious to see other recommendations as well- sort of a report card on my shopping IQ/luck :nerd from my perspective.

Here's a direct link to 8 banger. When I purchased, the bulbs were included. I go 6 cool : 2 warm. c-W-c-c | c-c-W-c || c-W-c-c | c-c-W-c

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
I usally vegg with a 600 watt lumatek didgi bulb and balast but I just bought a quantom bad boy 8 bulb t5 with 4 grow bulbs and 4 bloom bulbs from quantum and we will see how they work I get amazing results with the 600 of coarse this is what my veg plants look like rite now the first one is my hommie AliG's (purple urkle x 97 bubblegum) x (bubba kush bx2) and the second is the white x Appalachia aka lucky charms from bodhi seeds these are from seed and their 7 or 8 weeks in vegg and they have spent their whole life 24 hrs a day under a lumatek 600 watt hps but I'm really interested in seeing how this 8 bulb ho t5 will do if I were you I'd get a quantum ho t5 bad boy i did about 3 hours of research on t5 lights and these were the best I found and their price is really good to $205 for the 8 bulb

IMG 2030
IMG 2033
IMG 2034
IMG 2035
GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

PG- sounds like yours is a better deal than mine. When I purchased, came w/ 8 bulbs, mix and match choice of color temp. Couldn't figure out how they were making profit- maybe why they don't come w/ bulbs anymore. Anyways, I'm happy w/ what I've got and wish the same for you guys.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Greners.com gots a 4ft 8 bulb T5 for $219.00 with blue grow bulbs.. I can't say witch 1 is the best cuz I've only used 1 kind.. I got mine at Greners & it works great

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Try ebay or craigslist. I bought my 4ft 8 bulb (w/bulbs) shipped for $225 about 6 months ago on ebay and Ive noticed the price going down. I have hydrofarm, sun blaze, maxlume and a few no namers and I'd have to say the maxlume has the best reflection, but they all seem about the same. Persnally, I like T5s for veg. To each his own. However, I run HPS in flower. -PDX

PS. Check out the dimensions before buying. Some 4ft 8 bulbs are 2ft wide (as I prefer) and some are about 14''. Big difference.

S

smalltime99

I picked up this one during the Sept sale at my store for $219. I really like the feature of turning two bulbs and running 6 or turning off 4 and running 4. I noticed it doesn't say anything on there site but I am sure if you call they will give you the sale price. Hope it helps. GL

Cort

Cort

How many amps do these 8 bulbs take. Kinda on a limited amp set up with no way to fix it.

G

green guy

How many amps do these 8 bulbs take. Kinda on a limited amp set up with no way to fix it.

As an approximation you can take the wattage and divide by the voltage to get the amps.
8 bulbs (I have seen them rated at 54 watts) =432 watts / 120V =3.6 amps

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

As an approximation you can take the wattage and divide by the voltage to get the amps.
8 bulbs (I have seen them rated at 54 watts) =432 watts / 120V =3.6 amps
That's the formula green guy. :handshake
I used 56 watts in my post ^^ and need to amend that to 54w. My bad.

E

EastCoastGrow

i have a 8 light t5 rack and i used it on only one plant 24 hours a day for veg and it vegged in probally about 4-6 weeks was a little over 2 ft tall

Top Bottom