Tacoing & Spotting

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I have one plant that is suffering from some serious leaf curling and spotting going on. Apparently it is some form of Alien Dawg. The only question I can't answer is the soil pH question. Don't have a soil pH tester. I have 2 of this strain but the tacoing is only really bad on one plant, and it's the same one that is the only one that has the spotting. Pictures are after the questions. Any help is appreciated.

outwest

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
Clones
2. How old are your plants?
About 3 weeks from transplanted rooted clones
3. How tall are your plants?
8"-12" (this one in particular is closer to 12")
4. What size containers are they planted in?
7 gallon
5. What is your soil mix?
Bottom 1/3 is SubCool super soil + a 10% growstones top 2/3 is roots organic with 10% growstones
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
filtered tap (to remove chlorine and chloramines)
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
Subcool SuperSoil
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
Mighty Wash(twice so far), Caps Foliar (once so far), bloom chaos foliar (will do that tonight)
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
600w HPS 600w MH both running at 75%
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
20"
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
4x4
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
77f 50-60% RH
14. What is the pH of the soil?
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
Ants, had some spider mites but annihilated them
16. How much experience do you have growing?
Advanced Beginner (this is my 6th run) (1st time in super soil)

And the photos:

Adtaco1 sfjpg

Adtaco2 sfjpg

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
K and P issues. Reddened petioles = P problem.
Mid-plant leaf necrosis usually = K problem.
I often find that K problems occur concurrent with P problems.
That kind of curling could = a Mg problem, but I've never seen it as a result of Mg-/+.

When the RH is 50% your VPD is 1.58 kPa (kilo pascals, don't ask me to explain WTF that is). When it's 60% your VPD is 1.26 kPa, much closer to the ideal VPD of .85. Bump up RH to >60% or get the temps down a bit. I prefer and get better results from bumping RH up.
Read, remember, bookmark: http://www.autogrow.com/vpd_calc.php

Oh, let me post up my Dx flow chart and graphic. Simplistic, but helpful. The curling itself you might want to Google on, use ONLY the .edu .uni .gov etcetera type of sites, NOT cannabis sites. Seriously.

God damn it. I got ONE file uploaded and now it won't let me upload another one? Son of a *bitch* this shit is kludgey.

Leaf deficiencies
Leaf trouble chart
coloradochem

coloradochem

what up OW. man those leaf tips in the second pic look like something more than nutes? are they crunchy? SeaMadien thanks for the charts. im shure alot of farmers will find those helpful!!!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Many thanks, team. I guess I should top feed some high p and k guanos?

H

hydrotran

I have the same problem... Sigh I cant find out what is wrong with my girls. I've added more cal mag, lowered my fans, added a humidifier, raised my lights. I dont know what to do. The only thing I did different this time is ad 60ML more of vitamax than my other runs.

Well I hope any other farmers can help thanks!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Ok - I have some sample of organic nutes that can be used for foliar, my thinking is that the effected plants have not made their way to the super soil yet, and a good foliar will them through to that point. . .I hope. Any thoughts?

outwest

Dodge

Dodge

Sea
K and P issues. Reddened petioles = P problem.
Mid-plant leaf necrosis usually = K problem.
I often find that K problems occur concurrent with P problems.
That kind of curling could = a Mg problem, but I've never seen it as a result of Mg-/+.

When the RH is 50% your VPD is 1.58 kPa (kilo pascals, don't ask me to explain WTF that is). When it's 60% your VPD is 1.26 kPa, much closer to the ideal VPD of .85. Bump up RH to >60% or get the temps down a bit. I prefer and get better results from bumping RH up.
Read, remember, bookmark: http://www.autogrow.com/vpd_calc.php

Oh, let me post up my Dx flow chart and graphic. Simplistic, but helpful. The curling itself you might want to Google on, use ONLY the .edu .uni .gov etcetera type of sites, NOT cannabis sites. Seriously.

God damn it. I got ONE file uploaded and now it won't let me upload another one? Son of a *bitch* this shit is kludgey.

Thank you Seamaiden! Your dedication to informing people about VPD is the single reason I know about it currently. RH is more important than I initially realized as my initial approach was to only worry about temperature, light, nutes and water. I completely overlooked the relevence of RH. I live in a "skin- crackingly" dry area. My plants always did the "taco" and I watered them like crazy, to no avail. After reading a link you posted on another thread I learned a little about VPD, got a vaporizer and got my RH in check. Thanx again.

H

hydrotran

Hey after talking to several people there are two things that is happening here....

1 heat stress
2 Nutrient lockout

If your room is cool you can rule out the heat stress and make sure your lights are not to close to your girls. Get a good PH meter make sure you are feeding your girls with the correct PH. My girls still have this problem but I am flushing them out and spraying nitrozyme as a foliar when the lights turn off.

I will keep you updated on how it works. I'm almost positive the reason why I have it is because of a nutrient lockout not due to my PH meter but due to one of my nutrients I used was really old and is all clumped out when I put it into the rest.

Whatever the case is make sure you tackle this problem asap and do not think its ok cause it will bite you in the butt when you flip them into flower big time.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I was very fortunate to have a master grower check out my garden today, he thinks my problem is temporary as the new growth looks OK. He suggested I hit them with the organic micronutrients, which I already had done. . .so far so good. Thanks again, everyone who piped up to help out.

outwest

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
It seems like the plant is recovering OK. After review and discussion, on and off this board, I believe it was a combination of factors.

I'm using SuperSoil and I was watering a little to much. Not to much for soil in general, but to much for SuperSoil. I was washing out the nutes at the bottom of the pot because I was getting about 15% runoff. So I was in the process of switching from feeding a gallon per plant every 4 days, to a half gallon every other day. In doing that, I let them dry out a little to much, probably just as the roots were hitting the super hot SuperSoil. Combine that with temps running a little high, and it's TACO TIME.

Thanks again everyone.

outwest

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
So the tacoing continued but to less of an extent and the spotting has been a lot less. I don't think I've watered these plants in a week at least, and they are doing pretty well now. The plants are less than half the size of the rest of the garden, but they seem healthy, and they have filled out quite a bit since I originally posted this. I'm glad I figured it out before the fireworks started.

I did put another gallon of super soil on top, as I did with the other strains, but I think I'm going to scrape it off since I haven't water it in yet.

Thanks again, everyone.

outwest

Top Bottom