Takeing sugestions, when to plant outdoor

• Thread starter bevin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bevin

bevin

So im getting ready for my outdoor grow, got the hoop house to 16'x10' so maybe 16 plants. I'll explain this, my plants to straight into the earth my beds are about 4ft wide by 16ft long I have 2 of these beds. So I am wandering if I can put in more than 8 on each side. My hoop house is 7 or 8ft tall so head room isnt much of a problem. I have a 2ft walkway in-between the beds. Also May 6th my town starts on 14hrs of light each day I was wandering if I should go ahead and plant on this day? Would love the suggestions from every one thank you and happy growing!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you grown in this before? IME it's easy to get 10' tall plants when growing outdoors, which would make the headroom an issue in your hoophouse. I can see the 2' walkway becoming quite overgrown, too. Mostly what I have to work out when planning and planting how I'm going to access and tend the plants.

Do you know your date of last frost? I think you can put them out if it's not too terribly cold (and for me that means well below freezing). Are you using seed starts or clones? If using clones you'll need to interrupt the dark photoperiod or they'll flip into flower as soon as they're put out, especially if they've been on a 24/0 or 18/6 type of photoperiod (I have found that a reduction in light phase of as little as one hour, even taking it from a 20/4 to 19/5, can cause many girls to flip into regenerative phase, aka flowering, growth).

I have one 3'x16' bed and I usually do 8-10 girls in that bed. However, I have access from both sides, though one side is much down-slope. In my 3'x8' beds, I limit it to 6 girls in each bed, and it can still get pretty crowded in there.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I live in Central Ca.
this is what a seed tossed on top of the ground in Jan.(after bubblehashing it) look like today

these have Been snowed on and hailed on..and endured a dozen below freezing nights

Volentererrs330

So if your in Ca. you best get started!! :)

vaporedout

vaporedout

ken you kill me.... he can grow anything anywhere anytime.... i see this guy flowering in december.....legend is he lost both his thumbs because they turned so green :)

anyways...
if your starting seed you should be fine now, clones.... ive had em flower on me putting em out this early. i was told that seeds take around 30 days to be mature enough to show sex so as long as i was around a month before the grow season i was fine.

bevin

bevin

I am growing from seed and clone. have the best of both worlds a know. And yes I have used the hoop house befor, it was 10'x10' last summer and I had 11 plants spread out in it. I am thinking about using tomato cages around them this year. I live in CO they say our last frost date here is May 21-25 somewhere around in there. However we are in a 2 year drought again!, so there hasnt been alot of frost and the ground is pretty warm here already high 75's today, cold as hell tomarrow then rising all week, and as soon as I put the plastic on my hoophouse everything inside of it stays nice. I can control air intake and output. I have put a male I found in the grow outdoors to see what it does, its still in the 1gal pot from the grow room ill end up feeding it to the chickens befor any other plants g oout. I live In Colorado, i have a great view of the front range off my front porch. But would rather be in Monterey or Somewhere in Oregon

bevin

bevin

ken you kill me.... he can grow anything anywhere anytime.... i see this guy flowering in december.....legend is he lost both his thumbs because they turned so green :)

anyways...
if your starting seed you should be fine now, clones.... ive had em flower on me putting em out this early. i was told that seeds take around 30 days to be mature enough to show sex so as long as i was around a month before the grow season i was fine.
I started to early last year. pretty much about this time and my plants started to flower but reverted back with no prob. Iended up with some pretty tall lanky plants last year though kinda sucked. 9oz of 11 plants. I've gotten alot better now though been growing indoors all winter.

bevin

bevin

Here are some pics from last years grow. This year I will not be able to roll up the sides of the hoop house like the pictures show. I have installed a fan and am doing some different air movement stuff

DSCF9464
DSCF9621
DSCF9622
Picture1002122137 2
bevin

bevin

Put the front and back plastic on the hoop house today, maybe tomarow if it is nice me and the wife are gonna wrap the rest up.

beckteck

beckteck

I'd (and do) wait until last frost around mid-late May here and be prepared until June if you're above the snowline to put babies outdoors if you have space inside. I learned this a couple years ago (PIC). Climates change and cold temps outdoors hurts young plants even if prepared. What's your low temp in the hoop-house?

IMG 20110514 00133
IMG 20110515 00135
bevin

bevin

ilaxst year it got down to 35-40 in the hoop house, wasnt compleatly air tight. this year I havent checked temps yet we still need to get the plastic over the top

beckteck

beckteck

ilaxst year it got down to 35-40 in the hoop house, wasnt compleatly air tight. this year I havent checked temps yet we still need to get the plastic over the top
I've found that air tight with LOTS of space is best, balancing air flow with humidity/temps in cramped spaces has been problematic for me from time to time. Mostly, I've worked with that issue in flower finishing but I've feeling I may have to get the hoop house clean and up sooner this year. I popped my beans 14-17 days sooner this year than usual to have larger plants going out, but I've made monsters and may run out of room sooner than I expected (one of the best things about cultivation is experimenting and building my notebook every year). Spent the day after weeks of planning getting the indoor veg 'accommodations' to handle the 3 gallon pots. The positive side, it looks like I'll be running a full hoop house (minus a couple heavier Indica strains) ALD sometime starting in June.

20130403 223532
20130407 152503
20130407 152531
20130407 152559
20130407 192224
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh my God! I could totally do that in one of our tubs! It reminds me of what my dad did in their master bath when I was a kid, but he made the whole thing into a jungle of houseplants.

beckteck

beckteck

Necessity is the mother of invention...it will be a jungle before it goes outside ;) Hope my daughters remember it like that, dad and mom's bright room was really...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I remember the first time I witnessed my folks smoking. I could tell, this was *not* tobacco they were smoking with my uncle. And they were laughing. A lot. So I asked, what is that? They said it was TURKEY FEATHERS. I thought for a moment, and said, "I think everyone should smoke turkey feathers instead of cigarettes."

Then, they all died (laughing).

Top Bottom