Taking clones AFTER bloom? Or during...?

• Thread starter DenverCareGiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DenverCareGiver

New grower here. I have one Armageddon Skunk growing in soil that i'd like to clone after bloom. It is 15 inches tall, has been in bloom just three weeks, and is absolutely solid with bud from one inch above the soil to the top of all three main branch stems. (I didn't top it.)

I've explored another thread about taking clones during bloom, but i'm reluctant to do that just now; for one reason, this plant is just too beautiful, and of the nine plants i'm flowering, it has by far the most buds, and by far the most advanced buds. For another reason, i'm waiting for someone to share their expertise so i can plan accordingly...

I have an EZ-Clone, and successfully raised one batch of clones (just not this strain). All my other plants in bloom are 4 feet tall, this one got a late start. All are illuminated by a central (rather than overhead) vertical 1000 HPS, with no hood. This Armageddon Skunk is sitting on a bucket, so it gets the full flood of light at a distance of 12 inches, and it is responding gloriously. (Have a lot of air moving to avoid burn.)

I have never tried to save a plant after harvest, and i'm wondering what the best approach would be for this one plant, and what are my likely chances of success if i wait? Or should i bite the bullet and take one of those beautiful, bud-laden branches now?

Will i likely have a problem due to not having a single two inch stretch of the plant that isn't already very heavy in bud? Do i need to fore-go some of the harvest on at least one branch to succeed?

C

cheech

i've taken clones 3 wk's into bloom but this was a 3' tall plant and the clones came from the base of the plant. because of this those flowers didn't get much light so they were not showing nearly as many pistils. in your case i don't think it would be a good idea, because you mentioned that each node is totally bud laden.

but for future reference i always take clones 2 weeks into flower with no problems. nodes from the base of the plant that will get stripped off by week 3 anyways.

i've never revegged a plant, but i can imagine it would be a pain in the ass.. i'd rather just take clones

C

cheech

i just read that you are doing vertical.. you would want to strip clones that didn't grow long enough to reach the 'front' of the plant(side facing the bulb) rather than the base.

j wizzle

j wizzle

you will be fine taking clones now, or trying to re-veg the plant. its up to you, but if you say this plant is far ahead of all your other plants, i would be more concerned with keeping the strain than the extra 14 grams youre going to get at the end of the harvest.

i personally would look for a clone at the bottom of the plant, and if it doesnt root, then you will need to try to re veg the plant after harvest

Top Bottom