Taking clones from flowering females

• Thread starter BigBud09
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBud09

BigBud09

Im thinking about taking some cuttings off my plants, they have been flowering over three weeks now, would it be possible to take cuttings off them now or is it best to get them when their veggin i heard that it takes alot longer for them to root if clones are taken off a plant that is flowering??, any suggestions:cool0044:

S

Sirius

its best to take them during veg but if you take several during flower you have a good chance of getting one that reverts back to veg without any bad mutations...

O

organic4life

I've done it before but its not easy and it does take longer to root ..make sure you flush the plant with R.O water before you take them and keep a eye on the flowering plant after...good luck

capegrower

capegrower

It makes a big difference in how much the clone has flowered. If you take a cutting as soon as you sex a new plant than its much easier than if its 3 weeks in... the plant grows weird for a while but eventual grow back to normal...

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
rooting time doubles or even triples when clones are taken after 10 days of flower. Those cuttings can root but it will take 30 days. From my experiences only.

jj

G

Gene Bean

Everything I have read sounds spot on...I would just add that the lowest branches will have less flower flormation and more concentrations of the plants hormones used in propagation therefore would still be the easiest to root...I also find that keepng several active nodes on the cutting helps as does identifying when it starts vegging again so you can go ahead and cut out most of the floral cluster left over and concentrate the plants energies on that new growth starting up...also keep the lights on 24 hours (that part should be obvious I guess) and be careful misting them as it is will mold on you quick...as a matter of fact I would not mist them at all now that i thnk of it just have a good tight dome on them and some standing water in the bottom of the tray...

Tear it up homie and good luck!

Gene

BigBud09

BigBud09

Thanks everyone for the advice i think i'll give it a go and take a few off the lower branches ive got a large aquarium tank that is lined with visqueen i used it for my seedlings it worked well for them also i think the tank will create alot of humidity if water is in a tray, all i need now is some clonex gonna get some tomorrow :bong-hits::bong-hits:

M

MediVapeMan

Yeah, just be patient. In my experience, it doesn't add much to root time, but it does take a while to revert back to veg once it's rooted and planted. You won't see any growth for about 2 weeks. Then it should take off and grow like normal.

K

kindindy123

taking cuttings is no problem while your plants are i flower. just soak your clone cubes in alow e.c feed with a small drops of root stim. and they should root fine and healthy

they revert back,just wait for them to gro atleast some fans before taking any clones,to make sure they are in full gear veg,for proper cycling,totaly full dna performance good luck!!

G

Gene Bean

"Whats e.c feed??"

They are referring to 'electrical conductivity' a measure of metals and minerals in the water which conduct electricity. It is another way to tell how strong your nutrient soolution is and in this case they are suggesting a low e.c. solution. If you are just using root hormones (I love Humbolt Roots!) and/or rooting additives into farily pure water you should be fine...If you do not have a unit that measures Ph/EC/PPM and are serious about what you are doing I would suggest getting one... eseasongear is a good place for that.

GB

BigBud09

BigBud09

Hello again all i decided to take some cuttings today i was gonna get some clonex but i decided to get Rootex, has anyone used this in the past?? does it work?? its my first time cloning so im still learning:anim_09: i have a couple in peat pellets and the rest are in rockwool i have never used rockwool b4, do you have to soak it?? also i have them under a fluorescent atm is it best to use a flowering light first as they come off a flowering plant then put them back on veg?? thanks again everyone for the advice...keep it coming

M

midsummer

Some advanced growers prefer taking clone in flower because the plant, once reverted, will branch profusely. This can be perfect for SCROG.

Light is best 24/ 7, veg light (blue spectrum), fluorescents are great. Whether or not to use a humidity dome or to mist them on a schedule is up for debate. There are as many successful ways to clone as there are successful growers. I suggest you read a few basic cloning threads and adopt the technique that you can most easily follow. These clones will require no special techniques, just more patience.

Best of luck.

If they do not root you can always consider re-greening them (aka rejuvenation, revegging..)

G

gfizzle

taking cuts from a flowering will make your clone grow revert slower and also make your plant grow back funny, usually the new cutting will have alot of new leave matter which always seems to be a bit to flimsy to make future cuts. but it works, but i dont suggest doing it. time is precious.

BigBud09

BigBud09

Should i use a fluorescent now straight away? their off a flowering plant i thought ppl use a flowering light first then revert them back to veg?? if the cuttings come off a flowering plant

capegrower

capegrower

flush them rockwool cubes, your PH will go up if you dont. I like using rockwool and jiffy peat together, that way if your ph is off one type should work ok. Then when you figure out what works for you and your plant go with that style...

C

crazycanuckster

Didn't know this!

Thought this would subject them to a great deal of stress? But interesting to know it's possible

BigBud09

BigBud09

We have liftoff

Day 12 for my clones they are starting to root nicely i used rootex rooting hormone also i have one new seedling which has shot up already

Grow 2 Coming soon : )

Top Bottom