Taking clones from young plants

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Well, not really young plants, but from rooted clones that have been vegging for about 16 days. I'm used to taking clones from large mothers, but I no longer have the room to keep mothers. Have any of you taken clones from plants as small as 16 day vegged plants...? Are they big enough?

I'm guessing I'd at least be able to top them and clone the tops, but I really don't want to do that as I plan on lollipopping them... I really hope 16 days is enough to develop the side shoots I need to take clones...

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cort

Cort

you want the most vigorous cuttings off the mom. If you must create a new mom from old you want to use the healthiness and voracious of cuttings,

crap = crap

Delerium

Delerium

I take beefier cuttings so I wouldn't even think about taking a cutting before it is in a 2 gal pot for a month, Unless you want a clone or 2 maybe 3. You'd essentially just be topping the plant.

Delerium

Delerium

3 moms right now

IMG 1749IMG 1748

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I take beefier cuttings so I wouldn't even think about taking a cutting before it is in a 2 gal pot for a month, Unless you want a clone or 2 maybe 3. You'd essentially just be topping the plant.

Yeah, I'm used to taking beefy clones too. I hate taking small ones, but I have no choice. All I'm really asking is if any of you have taken clones from 16 day or younger plants (not from seed). I don't want to take tops because I want to lollipop these plants, I'm hoping for side shoot clones. Do you guys think that 16 day vegged plants will be big enough to provide me w/ side shoot clones?

And yes, all I want is 1 clone from each plant.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Yeah, I'm used to taking beefy clones too. I hate taking small ones, but I have no choice. All I'm really asking is if any of you have taken clones from 16 day or younger plants (not from seed). I don't want to take tops because I want to lollipop these plants, I'm hoping for side shoot clones. Do you guys think that 16 day vegged plants will be big enough to provide me w/ side shoot clones?

And yes, all I want is 1 clone from each plant.
...if they are rooted clones that are big enough and you've seen new growth than yes, but if you don't have room to keep mothers why not take your cuts 2 weeks into flower? ...i expect there will be at least a few cuts available from each plant after the stretch down at the bottoms and at only 2 weeks in there won't be any issues getting them to take root, ...i've done this MANY times myself.

peace, bozo

Delerium

Delerium

Like Goo said, Yes u can clone a small plant.
Without a pic couldn't tell you if there is enough shoot too take, that is at your own discretion.
I'd def put them in a dome, cuz IME those dinky cuttings have a tendency to dry out real quick.

Delerium

Delerium

...if they are rooted clones that are big enough and you've seen new growth than yes, but if you don't have room to keep mothers why not take your cuts 2 weeks into flower? ...i expect there will be at least a few cuts available from each plant after the stretch down at the bottoms and at only 2 weeks in there won't be any issues getting them to take root, ...i've done this MANY times myself.

peace, bozo
I've done that before when sexing seedlings, never at a 100% success rate though, some of them never made the trans back to veg state even after being back in veg for months.
Ever have that problem?

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

peace, bozo

I've never taken clones from flowering plants, and I really don't want to. Something about the stigma that surrounds it makes me feel uneasy. I'd just top them if it came to that... but thanks for the straight answer.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

I've done that before when sexing seedlings, never at a 100% success rate though, some of them never made the trans back to veg state even after being back in veg for months.
Ever have that problem?
...yeah, i've never had the specific problem you describe, partly because at 2 weeks in they aren't really fully into flower yet so there really isn't any 're-veggin' going on.

...and i'm sure you know that it's always a good idea to plan for cloning failures because no method is foolproof and you don't want to leave yourself short, better to toss the extras into the compost, ...i always take twice as many cuts as i need and i only flower the best, most vigorous of the lot.

...and to the op, stigma be damned, who gives a rat's patootie what other people who you will never meet think? ...i know SEVERAL growers on ICMag who haven't kept mothers for years but instead ALWAYS take cuts just at the end of stretch and these cuts become the plants for the next cycle and they then give up cuts early into their flowering cycle, and then you rinse and repeat to your heart's content.

...what you do is entirely up to you bro but maybe don't make your decisions because of some perceived 'stigma'.

good luck, bozo

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

...yeah, i've never had the specific problem you describe, partly because at 2 weeks in they aren't really fully into flower yet so there really isn't any 're-veggin' going on.

...and i'm sure you know that it's always a good idea to plan for cloning failures because no method is foolproof and you don't want to leave yourself short, better to toss the extras into the compost, ...i always take twice as many cuts as i need and i only flower the best, most vigorous of the lot.

...and to the op, stigma be damned, who gives a rat's patootie what other people who you will never meet think? ...i know SEVERAL growers on ICMag who haven't kept mothers for years but instead ALWAYS take cuts just at the end of stretch and these cuts become the plants for the next cycle and they then give up cuts early into their flowering cycle, and then you rinse and repeat to your heart's content.

...what you do is entirely up to you bro but maybe don't make your decisions because of some perceived 'stigma'.

good luck, bozo

Well, what kind of success rate do you have? How long do they take to root? Are the clones as vigorous as normal clones? If so and you have a good success rate then I guess I don't see anything wrong with it... but I can't afford to lose many clones or have young plants get off to a slow start.

Thanks again.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Well, what kind of success rate do you have? How long do they take to root? Are the clones as vigorous as normal clones? If so and you have a good success rate then I guess I don't see anything wrong with it... but I can't afford to lose many clones or have young plants get off to a slow start.

Thanks again.
...your success rates will be about the same as your cloning experience will dictate, in other words, if you have had success cloning in the past then you can expect cuts taken from plants in flower for 2 weeks or less to perform just as any other cuts, they root just as easy and just as successfully at this stage, where you run into problems in taking cuts further into flower but i've had success rooting cuts taken from plants that were just over 4 weeks in, limited success with about a 50% failure rate but success none the less and if you are trying to preserve a part of your gene pool, 50% is better than nothing.

...i wouldn't advocate you try this if i wasn't absolutely certain it could be done, and that because i've done it myself.

...re-vegging is no big whoop either if you have the space, it's actually pretty cool seeing them come back to life, ...here's a couple shots of one i've already harvested twice and it was already showing new growth just 2 weeks after it was harvested for the second time, i can't wait to see how she does the third time through, lol.

...here's a couple back before her second flowering cycle.

...and here she is after being harvested on Jan 23rd, note the stump is the same.

DSCN0352

DSCN0352

...and here you can see new growth already.

DSCN0357

...it's important for you to understand that you have to become the expert grower in your world and your best teacher will always be experience, trial and error after a decent amount of research will almost always yield good results.

peace, bozo

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Thanks, Bozo... good stuff.

If I don't get the kind of growth I need to take cuts in veg, I'll take em in flower... thanks for the pics.... they really put me at ease with this whole thing.

PwnanObrien

PwnanObrien

good luck, bozo
Yep. Nothing could be more pointless than dedicating extra room for Mothers. I simply rip clones from my canopy a week or so into bloom each cycle before pistils start being thrown. Always have fresh, succulent cuttings, no woody stems, and plenty of cuts. I take three trays every grow and simply select the healthiest ones.

Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk

I just took 3 cuttings from a 7 inch cutting itself. Once the clone was transplanted and started showing new growth, I clipped off the bottom 3 branches for clones just as an experiment but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've also taken clones up to 20 days in flower with the same success as cloning in veg. But it's nice to have different strains around to choose from. Look into bonsai mothers. That's what I do cause I don't have room either. They stay in 4" square pots and don't get taller than a foot.

william76

william76

Take your cuts between day 2o and day 39 flowering for bigger yields it's. Called monster cropping,76

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I just took 3 cuttings from a 7 inch cutting itself. Once the clone was transplanted and started showing new growth, I clipped off the bottom 3 branches for clones just as an experiment but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've also taken clones up to 20 days in flower with the same success as cloning in veg. But it's nice to have different strains around to choose from. Look into bonsai mothers. That's what I do cause I don't have room either. They stay in 4" square pots and don't get taller than a foot.

I've looked into bonsai moms and will use them in the future. How many cuttings do you get from each every 2 weeks?

Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk

I've looked into bonsai moms and will use them in the future. How many cuttings do you get from each every 2 weeks?
You could probably get a few every 2 weeks depending on medium and nutrient use. I only need cuts every couple months so I keep them in a super soil mix and feed nothing but water so they grow slow.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Sc mom 1a

..this Strawberry Cough bonsai has been in this 9oz cup of coco for over a year and if you zoom in you'll see you could easily take a half dozen small cuts as she sits and she produced at least a half dozen small cuts every 2 weeks.

don't be afraid to try what people tell you can't be done, you'll be surprised how often they will be wrong. ...and shit, even if it turns out they are right, you will have still learned a ton and had an assload of fun tryin'.

peace, bozo

Top Bottom