Taking clones with thick woody stems bad?

• Thread starter Confuten1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Im jus wondering if taking clones that have thicker more "woody" type stems are less likely to root? I have a plant that seems to be stressed and not growing well. its a fireOG that is growing short and compact with thick stems, insted of tossing her, is it worth it to take cutts?

Confu...

hiboy

hiboy

The unhealthier the plant at time of taking clones the waaaaaaay harder time ur gona have getting them to root. I use to have another buddy do the clone and veg thing , then relocate to my flower room. Well i wanna do it all myself now and have been struggling but am getting def. better. Make sure your rh is at 50% or greater. Thats one of the biggest things that i have learned.
hiboy

E

E.T.

get her healthy first, then take some cuts. taking cuts off a sickly mom will eventually end up in a degradation of progeny...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've never had luck with the woodier cuts, but (almost) anything from low down on the plant generally roots better for me. Scarify them, that should help.

B

Beasters X Haze

I think soft tip clones perform better after rooting, see that thread on bonsai moms for more info. But then again, many different ways to accomplish the same thing, as I know G.O.D knows his stuff

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
The unhealthier the plant at time of taking clones the waaaaaaay harder time ur gona have getting them to root. I use to have another buddy do the clone and veg thing , then relocate to my flower room. Well i wanna do it all myself now and have been struggling but am getting def. better. Make sure your rh is at 50% or greater. Thats one of the biggest things that i have learned.
hiboy

hiboy, yeah man that makes sence, plus as it is she is a bitch to clone under good conditions(fireOG). good luck on ur clone/veg. Im a control freak and could never let anyone handle my babies( im sure it a plant # thing)

Confu...

get her healthy first, then take some cuts. taking cuts off a sickly mom will eventually end up in a degradation of progeny...

Didnt even consider this, thnx E.T. Honestly Im not sure exactly whats wrong, my guess is I stressed the plants with extreme training, and them the temps and humidity suxed here for about 3 weeks. its wierd , my FireOG is short squat with tight internode spacing, sounds good right, xcept she is almost 2months old and on bout a 1 1/2 ft tall, last time with that long veg she was 3 ft already, prolly more.

Confu...

Woody lower shoots root the fastest! I remember taking cuts one day and this dude was chuckling, i hear hehe, what adumb ass, did you see were he took thosecuts from? Bwaahaaaa! He could have taking a main top shoot but look he took that woody lower? Hehe! Ya bozo, watch and learn! Now homeboy thinks he's a mad farmer cause he learned learnedsomething finally. But yeah lower older woody cuts are better.

GoD, question, this plant is a fire OG, and i know u have experience with her(assuming she is the real deal) Ive heard that she is hard to clone, and in my experience she is a bitch to clone. Ive taken 25 or so cuts only to have 4-5 actually root. Ive done rapid rooters,and Rw in a tray domed up with a heat mat and I jus built a ezcloner last night. any tips u can suggest with her?

Thnx, confu...

I've never had luck with the woodier cuts, but (almost) anything from low down on the plant generally roots better for me. Scarify them, that should help.

Hi Sea, what do u mean scarify them? Is that when u score the stems with a blade?

Confu...

I think soft tip clones perform better after rooting, see that thread on bonsai moms for more info. But then again, many different ways to accomplish the same thing, as I know G.O.D knows his stuff
B X H, ima peep that thread thnx.

Confu...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi Sea, what do u mean scarify them? Is that when u score the stems with a blade?

Confu...
More like gently scraping off JUST the outer layer (xylem). You want to remove any bits that are hanging off, they make great infection sites. May you get that FOG rooted with a quickness.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
More like gently scraping off JUST the outer layer (xylem). You want to remove any bits that are hanging off, they make great infection sites. May you get that FOG rooted with a quickness.

Ok, thnx Sea, Ive actually done that in my experiments with fusing 2 clones together, so I know exactly what u mean.

COnfu...

Illmind

Illmind

i was told long ago lowers have higher lvl of natural rooting horomones in em. same thing happened to me as garden, i went for the tops thinkin stronger clones but later did side by side smaller lowers root fastest for me. good luck, clip just under node too clean up access shit and no need to scrape much. some clip just above node either way. i also use genhy to soak rockwool which i prefer over everything.

Cort

Cort

Being new, I was having problems getting my clones to root, till I found THIS.
This is the Walmart ice cube tray cloner. I know its posted somewhere on the farm but can only find the above link, or threads that link to it.

Cheap, easy and it bumped my rates to 98-99% easy. A 3 dollar ice cube tray, some fine vermiculite, tap water and a drop of superthrive. They come out well rooted in 10-14 days. Low tech is working for me, but I am just a noob.

phenotyper

phenotyper

My FireOG turns purple and woody when phosphorous is low (my root aphid problem isn't helping either). Are you rootbound? Try hitting it with a high dose of P, some root stimulant and a *zyme. This brought my FoG back to life. Then I took a billion cuts : P

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
The tops may take off faster once rooted, its a catch 22 cause the take longer to root. So ur either waiting on a top to root, or rooting a lower quicker and dealing with the 5 days tell it starts its vigorous growth. I go with the latter because the clone success rate is higher. Ill deal with the 5 days cause its for sure. If i dont get roots on a cut i might lose a strain. Thats not a option.

thnx, im like u, if they dont root i may lose this!

Confu.

Being new, I was having problems getting my clones to root, till I found THIS.
This is the Walmart ice cube tray cloner. I know its posted somewhere on the farm but can only find the above link, or threads that link to it.

Cheap, easy and it bumped my rates to 98-99% easy. A 3 dollar ice cube tray, some fine vermiculite, tap water and a drop of superthrive. They come out well rooted in 10-14 days. Low tech is working for me, but I am just a noob.
less is more sometime cort. thnx

Confu

My FireOG turns purple and woody when phosphorous is low (my root aphid problem isn't helping either). Are you rootbound? Try hitting it with a high dose of P, some root stimulant and a *zyme. This brought my FoG back to life. Then I took a billion cuts : P

What up Pheno, i doubt there root bound as there in 5 gal buckets, every feed had roots excel, and i run h&g p in formula is good i think?
Ima check the roots though.

Confu...

P

paperplane

Has anyone one tried splitting the bottom end where you make the angle cut? I read somewhere that it helps root?

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Has anyone one tried splitting the bottom end where you make the angle cut? I read somewhere that it helps root?

yeah i do that but cant say that it helps rooting. never did a controlled experiment though jus speaking frm what ive took over time.

Confu..

I

Indicas4me

I have been taking a lower branch of my mothers and getting 3 clones of it,the bottom and middle of stalk are woody and no problems at all.

M

Montannabis

I believe lower shoots root faster due to the higher RH near the soil thus forming a pre-root so to speak like eyes on a potato...but that just me talking crazy. Also I believe top cuts are more vigorous but are prone to rot as well. just my 2 sents

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
so after taking thick woody stems and soft lower growth, I think i perfer the thick woody stems. when i take these I take big cutts with multiple shoots, they seem to take about a week longer to root, but when there done rooting the growth seems to explode and i save time on having to fim or top due to them having multple tops already.
confu...

T

Th3Jungl3Boy

I have taken cuts from plants extremely stressed and had almost 100% success.
I had a Super Lemon Haze in my old hydro setup and had decided to transplant everything to soil, she was the biggest one and didn't like at all. Few days later and all the leaves were dropping drastically and dying, so I decided to cut everything down and make clones. Made 26, only 2 didn't root ;)
I only left few lower branches to see if she would come back, and she did! She's in a 20 gallon container hoping to get a big tree :)

Top Bottom