Taking pics w/ gps-enabled cellphone..exif data=BAD NEWS!

• Thread starter Jimmynitz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimmynitz

Jimmynitz

Pisces Genetics
Listen up!!
Everybody that uploads pics here on the farm, or any cannabis site, from a GPS-enabled cellphone...BETTER READ THIS!!!

If you have a cellphone that has a camera, and GPS...you MUST turn the GPS OFF before shooting pics of anything cannabis-related. I have an iphone and it has the option to turn the gps off, but I'm not sure about other brands having that option...I would imagine they do. But if not, then you simply CAN NOT use your phone for taking canna-related pics...EVER! Here is why I'm posting this....
A few weeks ago I came across this website, http://regex.info/exif.cgi. The website is self-explanitory...it allows you to view exif data from digital photographs. I used it on some pics I shot on my phone(nothing canna-related)...it was kinda cool to see where exactly I was when I took the photo. But I also realized how that could totally fuck an unknowing grower>>>fast foreward to today....
I was going thru a thread and somebody posted a pic that looked to me like a pic from a cell phone cam, quality-wise...it was of a bud, and I thought "hmm, let me just check it out on that exif website for the hell of it and see if he is cool"....bad news..looked like it was pointing right to the guy's house! And he is not in a pot-friendly state, trust me. Scary shit!!! I shot him a pm to warn him, and to delete EVERY pic he uploaded from his cell..and to turn off the gps if possible.
I suggest you guys that have gps enabled phones to do the same....this exif shit makes things so much easier for leo and narcs...Be smart, and be safe.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Google nexus one does not add gps tags...thank god...

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Hey jimmy, I have an iphone but cant find where to turn off gps. Could you help me out?

E

ent

BakedasBeans- go to General Settings area of the phone and turn Location Service off.

convex

convex

There a number of programs that let you clear the meta data from your images.
I use jhead - it is command line but very simple to use.

I have seen other boards run jhead as part of the upload process - maybe there is an easy plugin for Logic to incorporate?

Cheers

squarepusher

squarepusher

really bad especially for outdoor growers and non medical ones

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Im going to speak to my developer and have him make a plugin that will strip all exif info when you upload photos to thcfarmer... should be ready in a week or two :)

F

Frank_Castle

pull your battery when conducting business.[/QUOTE]

There is a secondary battery that is used to save all the info on the phone when the phone goes dead or when switching batteries. Last knowledgeable book I read said this battery is sufficient also to be used by the feds.

Just a word of warning.

R

ReadySetGrowD9

ON Top Of It

Im going to speak to my developer and have him make a plugin that will strip all exif info when you upload photos to thcfarmer... should be ready in a week or two :)

I gotta say thanks for this Logic..... thats def a big help for us that wanna share but are to scared lol

Jimmynitz

Jimmynitz

Pisces Genetics
Yeah good deal Logic...gives us all a little more peace of mind when putting pic's up for the whole world to see!

fractaLz

fractaLz

Good looks Jimmynitz and logic, any less ammo we can give to Babylon is a good thing!

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

I really do think Google Maps and GPS systems are just innovative ways of the govt to look into our houses and yards, track our location and whereabouts.

I had just gotten a Galaxy S Captivate and was wondering if its safe to upload mobile pics on this site. Well, I didn't because it does have a GPS locator. Thanks for the info! :cool0044:

R

Radio_Dread

how does that site work exactly? and what do you mean by pointing right at his house? great info just dont understand. my phone is old, no gps for me

F

fuzzy

Good Idea Logic

Im in a southern non med state and have been on these sites for yrs now and havent posted a pic yet.Im too computer illllliterate(lol).(or just old)Maybe 1 day.peace,fuzzy

G

goleboy

Don't people have the ability to use your IP address that you would be accessing thcfarmer from and also find you this way? Seems like wiih technology we are always going to be under someones watchful eye wether we wnt to be or not, unless you can live without technology and the " material objects" we all use everyday to keep in the loop. Scary but good info to have

Latest posts

Top Bottom