Taking power from garage...

• Thread starter Igot5onit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Igot5onit

So I'm trying to expand my grow room to 6 1000w lights from 2. But i have kinda ran out of room in my fuse panel in the house. I was wondering what it would take to pull 60 amps from my garage to my house. I have a 100amp panel in the garage so my plan is to bring 60 amps to my basement so i can run the lights and ac off of that. If you have any suggestions that would be great thanks much for your time.

Igot5

lazarus718

lazarus718

So I'm trying to expand my grow room to 6 1000w lights from 2. But i have kinda ran out of room in my fuse panel in the house. I was wondering what it would take to pull 60 amps from my garage to my house. I have a 100amp panel in the garage so my plan is to bring 60 amps to my basement so i can run the lights and ac off of that. If you have any suggestions that would be great thanks much for your time.

Igot5

If you're out of room on the main, pulling 60 amps off it is still taking the load off of your 100 amp system. Only way out of that one is to pay an electrician to come upgrade your service. You can't do that on your own bro, and the electrical company will have to be contacted to secure your power.

EDIT: I might have mis-read some of the post...but is the panel in your garage separate from your main power?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Is there really second panel in the garage? Or is it the main and 100 is all you got, period? That does sound more likely. If it is really a separate feed then you would just need a 60A 220 breaker. 6ga cable 3 conductors. Some liquid tite or grey electric PVC. Just wire up a small sub panel in the basement. Dona dada.

Edit: Two things that were brought to my attention that are quite important.

First, you need to run four wires. 2 hots a neutral and a ground. I was not thinking with my quick reply.

Second, it is a dual pole breaker rated at 60A. That is a breaker for 220 that takes the two hot legs off the panel to make 220v.

Truthfully, this can be dangerous stuff. I just don't have better sense. Be careful out there, and get a buddy who knows what he is doing if you have the means.

Be safe and have fun out there!

lazarus718

lazarus718

Laz - yeah its a separate panel

Well if it has it's own drop then you won't have any probs pulling 60A's over to your grow. Just a matter of how you want to do it (underground, above ground, obstacles, etc.) and the distance you have to run it.

I

Igot5onit

Awesome, i hope that is what you would say lol, its a detached garage i was thinking running it under ground in some pvc or something so it couldn't get wet you know right up to my house then drilling a whole in the side ( just like they ran my cable for my tv)....im not sure if that would work ok or if you had some fancy tricks.

Igot5

lazarus718

lazarus718

Awesome, i hope that is what you would say lol, its a detached garage i was thinking running it under ground in some pvc or something so it couldn't get wet you know right up to my house then drilling a whole in the side ( just like they ran my cable for my tv)....im not sure if that would work ok or if you had some fancy tricks.

Igot5
If you're going to put in the effort to go underground, you might as well just run UF wire and get rid of the conduit altogether. You'll have to check with your local codes to find out how deep to bury a 220V line though.

lazarus718

lazarus718

From there you come up into a weatherproof box with a "stub down" of conduit into the earth to pick up your cable. Then splice the cable into your junction box and run NM cable into the house from there.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

You mean a seperate panel with a meter also, or just a sub panel off the main?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Laz - yeah its a separate panel

You mean a seperate panel with a meter also, or just a sub panel off the main?

Igot5onit,
LordDaninstien is on to the solution. I think that you really need to make sure that you have 2 services. Is the power from your pole coming to both the garage and the house directly? Typically the main is where the meter is. No meter, means sub panel most likely. Check it out.

-TF

hiboy

hiboy

I doubt his residence has two seperate drop lines. or two meters.

lazarus718

lazarus718

I doubt his residence has two seperate drop lines. or two meters.

I was thinking the same thing...easy fix if it does though. If not, he'll have to shell out some $ to his local labor force.

I

Igot5onit

Lol, alright so maybe its a sub panel from the main.....they both say 100amp service but i don't have 2 meters. I take it it's just one service that has a sub panel so if that is the case i would have to contact my electric company and have them either up my 100 amp to a 200 or 400....or add another service? Sorry for all the questions and confusion.

Igot5

lazarus718

lazarus718

Lol, alright so maybe its a sub panel from the main.....they both say 100amp service but i don't have 2 meters. I take it it's just one service that has a sub panel so if that is the case i would have to contact my electric company and have them either up my 100 amp to a 200 or 400....or add another service? Sorry for all the questions and confusion.

Igot5

Yeah, if it's a sub feeding off your main then you won't have another 100A's. The power company has to be contacted to secure the power so that your panel can be upgraded if you want to go forward at that point. If you don't mind not having a freaking stove you can steal that circuit for your extra juice and order out pizza for 3 or 4 months?!?!

hiboy

hiboy

Yah they wont add a service, you could upgrade to a larger main panel which is located at your house location and the garage is the sub panel. Really depends on how many lights, ac and all you want to do. If you have a hundred amp in the garage which is the sub, your probably not using much of that at all. You might be able to get some split breakers which would allow you to install more circuits,, and put a small sub panel in your grow room. Thats always nice to have. Number six wire will do the job , its rated to 50 amps, i wouldnt step to number four, From your main run a 6/3 wire and land it in your new panel. Then you can branch from there and power your lights, ac and small misc. equipment.
hiboy

I

Igot5onit

Laz - as much as i would love to just order pizza all the time, i think i would die by the age of 27 if I did that. Thanks for all your info again it was a big help and open my eyes to what i need to do.

Hiboy - Thanks im glad that you and everyone else spoke up and helped me out, thats what family is for thanks bro.

Igot5

lazarus718

lazarus718

Laz - as much as i would love to just order pizza all the time, i think i would die by the age of 27 if I did that. Thanks for all your info again it was a big help and open my eyes to what i need to do.

Hiboy - Thanks im glad that you and everyone else spoke up and helped me out, thats what family is for thanks bro.

Igot5

Hey, no prob man. The things we'll do for weed, huh?!?!

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

You might be able to get some split breakers which would allow you to install more circuits,, and put a small sub panel in your grow room. Thats always nice to have. Number six wire will do the job , its rated to 50 amps, i wouldnt step to number four, From your main run a 6/3 wire and land it in your new panel. Then you can branch from there and power your lights, ac and small misc. equipment.
hiboy

This is it right here, look for the space saver breakers and make room for the 60 amp breaker and then just run a new line from your main to your basement. And if you cant do that then just run the line from the garage. And you should be fine if you use the correct the gauge wire.

hiboy

hiboy

The main thing is if you do run a new 50 amp line make sure to land it in a sub panel and a main in the sub would be nice for safety (cut off) and actually its mandatory if your coming from a detached dwelling (garage).

hiboy

Top Bottom