Tall Skinny Pots Vs The Norm

• Thread starter Dazed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dazed

Dazed

Hello all, in a upcoming grow I am considering making 4"-6" diameter pots by 1'-2' deep. They woul be constructed from some kind of pvc or plastic pipe.
My reason for doing this is to maximize the plant count I can get in a 4'x4' or 3'x3 grow area, but still give the plants plenty of root space.
Do the plants need the horizontal root space or can they benefit the same from it being replace with vertical root space.
I will be growing in pure coco or a coco perlite mix maybe, and under 1000w hps.
This isn't my first grow, I have experience in hydro, soil, and coco over the last 6yrs.
Any info or opinions would be appreciated....

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Hello all, in a upcoming grow I am considering making 4"-6" diameter pots by 1'-2' deep. They woul be constructed from some kind of pvc or plastic pipe.
My reason for doing this is to maximize the plant count I can get in a 4'x4' or 3'x3 grow area, but still give the plants plenty of root space.
Do the plants need the horizontal root space or can they benefit the same from it being replace with vertical root space.
I will be growing in pure coco or a coco perlite mix maybe, and under 1000w hps.
This isn't my first grow, I have experience in hydro, soil, and coco over the last 6yrs.
Any info or opinions would be appreciated....
The plant will actually grow a bit taller in conjunction will the vertical root growth.

north knect

north knect

In terms or bud growth do you think that would mean more overall buds but smaller, or just a better yeild.
I don't just want to create lanky plants with popcorn buds.
This has crossed my mind a few times ..il be pulling up a chair to see the results if you do a grow log..happy farming

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
In terms or bud growth do you think that would mean more overall buds but smaller, or just a better yeild.
I don't just want to create lanky plants with popcorn buds.

It will just make the plant grow taller.

Your bud density will come from genetics and other environmental factors.

CannaTech

CannaTech

Doing this will cause your plants to be more slender vs more bushy. your plants pretty much replicate their root space up top. so narrower root zone means taller skinnier plants wider buckets typically leads to bushier plants. That allows the roots to grow out wider to support more growth above.

Mr.X

Mr.X

Have you seen the 1gl fabric pots by aurora ? Theyre just that, narrow and tall compared to the 1 gl smart pots. The fabric pots will give you the benefit of air pruning so your plants wont get rootbound wich in plastic they will. Plus when the roots are air pruned they react the same as the plant would and grow more root mass in every direction thus increasing nutrient uptake. With the coco and fabric pots you will have even better oxygenation in the rootzone and will have an easier time flushing when the time comes. All you will have to do is perhaps water more frequently once a day under a 1k should suffice no matter what the weathers like where you live. I have personally grown plants to full maturity using this method precisely because of lack of space like you. And when i say plants i mean 4ft bushes that yielded 4 zips each under a 1k hps. Hope this helps, best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom