Tap Water And Cal Mag

• Thread starter maimunji
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

maimunji

Hi farmers I have question about my tap water. I read 150 ppm around 0.3 e.c. Calcium is 44mg/l, Magnesium is 10 mg/l. What this numbers say? do I need to supplement extra cal and mag with my tap. I grow in Coco with canna coco nutes a&b. Thanks for help.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Yea ,I've actually started using tap with my ro. At a 2:1 radio. I run dwc and haven't had a mag or cal issue since. My tap is 300ppm + tho. Tap usually provides enough cal fit the plants.

M

maimunji

So 44 cal and 10 mag is enough? I used gh 6/9 but plant is not happy. One plant show cal def. Another one show magnesium. I switch to canna a&b yesterday. Ph is spot on 5.8. Run off is same. Meter is calibrated. Gh have same cal mag % like Canna. I will wait few watering before buy cal mag product but I think my tap is lack on cal mag.

P

Pimples

While not knowing what exactly is in everyones water i can tell you that any tap thats between 0.2 and 0.4 ec is generally PERFECT for a base nute thats coco coir specific. A 100 to 200 ppm (0.2 - 0.4 ec) tap is probably most likely calcium and magnesium carbonate and iron
While not the most absorbable...it is somewhat and is ideal for adding your base nutrient on top of it.

P

Pimples

Ive never understood it myself. Carbonates are not very plant ready but its used in gh Calimagic that alot of growers use effectively. Its in tap water...and when you strip it out with an r.o. filter and dont add back cal and mag...you could run into problems....especially using coco coir as your medium. I dont get it. Dont pretend to....but this is what ive found out.

Prevada 13

Prevada 13

With my RO water in coir I strive for 70 ppm cal, 25 ppm mag and 10 ppm of iron for my base water.

What for nutes line do you use?

Your avatar looks good!

Aint 100ppm of cal mag is low?

Haven some probleems my self in coco..

symbiote420

symbiote420

You need to add calmag bro. Better products than GH CaliMagic are MagiCal and CalMag +...... 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp should do, my tap is 110 ppm at 27 grams Ca and 7 grams Mg..... plants like OGs, etc (aka Calmag whores) will definitely need more than what's provided by your tap.

P

Pimples

You need to add calmag bro. Better products than GH CaliMagic are MagiCal and CalMag +...... 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp should do, my tap is 110 ppm at 27 grams Ca and 7 grams Mg..... plants like OGs, etc (aka Calmag whores) will definitely need more than what's provided by your tap.
My tap is 110 ppm (0.2 EC) and 7.6 pH and I use Canna Coco A&B at 10 tsp of each to a gallon of the tap. Puts me about 700 ppm (1.4 EC) and whenever i add a Calmag product with most of my strains (doesnt matter the brand) they start acting wierd. Purple stems and slow growth. I believe its too much cal and or mag. Did it recently just for the hell of it on some extra plants i had. They were fine with the Canna base....i just wanted to see. At about 2.5 - 3 ml per gallon of tap....the calmag with Canna base plants started acting funky. So i keep Calmag on hand...but only use it sparingly if at all. Ususally its when they first go from rooted clone plug to first pot of coco (Canna Brick) that they MIGHT show a problem. But once they are chugging along in final pot....i usually not dare add calmag. Not even a little. Now with Ionic Grow and Bloom as a base with coco coir....its a different story. The 110 ppm tap and Ionic just isnt enough calcium and or magnesium for alot more of my strains.

Last edited:
P

Pimples

But note....i do hydrate the Canna bricks with the 110 tap and another 80 to 100 ppm of calmag to soak the bricks. Maybe that migjt be it.

Top Bottom