tap water ppm question

• Thread starter af4444
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

af4444

tested some fresh tap water straight out of the faucet, ppm = 55. tried testing some tap water that has been sitting in a plastic bin for about 3 days, ppm = 75. does this make sense? shouldn't the ppm be going DOWN as chlorine and other chemicals evaporate from the water? also, considering it's city water, shouldn't the ppm be higher? read a lot of threads with people saying their water was a few hundred ppm straight out of the tap.

will calmag plus be needed??

thanks!

B

been

As water evaporates, the salt concentration increases. There's nothing surprising about that. Sounds like you have quality tap. it may change from winter to summer, but I wouldn't worry about it. You can always pick up cal-mag later... if you need it. Wait and see.

B

bicycle racer

my tap in sfv is over 250ppm needless to say i use ro or other.

B

BETA

If the water is good enough for you it's good enough for your plants, I would still let it site for a day or 2 after coming out of the tap to distill it a bit.

aldus

aldus

I used my tap water that was about 250ppm with no problems, although it was my first grow.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

Your TDS is 55 ppm? Sure your meter isn't a X 10ppm?{ 550 ppm} About the count going to 75 ppm, chlorine loss will not lower TDS {total dissolved solids } chlorine is a VOC, a gas, its leaving does nothing to TDS count. Hard water residue being dissolved from inside jug could be adding to the number. If your reading is correct you have a hardness of 3 grains per gallon,(that's what the Cullegan Man measures in) if you are in US I find that hard to belive(not impossible) that level would be fine for canna however. Let water sit out in large stock pot for 2-3 days wisking it occationaly. Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom