Tap water report oK for living soil?

• Thread starter Stupidaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stupidaf

Stupidaf

Tap water report ok for living soil
Is my tap ok for living soil? I know PH is shit but I’m not sure about everything else.

Stupidaf

Stupidaf

Hi,Our tap water is around 140 and never had an issue
Even with the high bicarbonate’s, salt concentration? Im not worried about ppm. I’m worried about salt buildup over time. Thanks

freezeland2

freezeland2

For water only living soil it is good practice to carbon filter. The Microbes don’t like chlorine or chloramine. It kills them off.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1237136Is my tap ok for living soil? I know PH is shit but I’m not sure about everything else.
Not to bad… alkalinity is a bit high so amending the soil with some peat or every week or 2 a little aluminum suflate.

you are confusing ionic salts ( mineral salts ) concentration with sodium and the sodium at 16ppm is fine.

eg. Potassium nitrate is a salt. Magnesium sulfate is a salt etc etc

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Even with the high bicarbonate’s, salt concentration? Im not worried about ppm. I’m worried about salt buildup over time. Thanks
I don't know I just measured my ppm with my pen and didn't get an analysis. Flushing the salts before a new mix should bring it back to square one and get rid of the buldup. I also keep 3 rain barrels in my garage for the winter and use that in dirt grows

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For water only living soil it is good practice to carbon filter. The Microbes don’t like chlorine or chloramine. It kills them off.
Nah nothing to worry about unless your using it to brew teas then possibly and even then a pinch of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will neutralize both chlorine and chloramines. 1 gram per 100 gal per ppm of either and the max allowance is 4ppm and rarely see anything even close to or over 2

freezeland2

freezeland2

Nah nothing to worry about unless your using it to brew teas then possibly and even then a pinch of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will neutralize both chlorine and chloramines. 1 gram per 100 gal per ppm of either and the max allowance is 4ppm and rarely see anything even close to or over 2
Informative. Thank you for that. I do brew tea’s from time to time. I have a carbon filter I got on Amazon that just threads onto the end of a garden hose. I used that in my current grow. Made life very simple watering direct from the hose. Good info to know about how else to neutralize chlorine and chloramine. I always believed those had to be carbon filtered out if you want it removed. Good to see you back.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

With living soil? @Aqua Man? Seems that the chlorine should be removed. Ascorbic acid works, but I think over time a filter would be cheaper.

I use living soil and I have I brewed teas so yes, I would recommend a carbon filter to filter out the chloramine/chlorine. The type of filter set up needed for this would not break the bank. You should be able to find a good handful options in the under $100 category ... possibly much less. I wouldn't be overly concerned about a pH of 8.2. Your municipal water source is intentionally delivering it that way to prevent it from leaching lead out of old pipes. Calcium carbonate can alter soil pH over time ... but for most of us, we've already harvested before that becomes an issue.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

With living soil? @Aqua Man? Seems that the chlorine should be removed. Ascorbic acid works, but I think over time a filter would be cheaper.

I use living soil and I have I brewed teas so yes, I would recommend a carbon filter to filter out the chloramine/chlorine. The type of filter set up needed for this would not break the bank. You should be able to find a good handful options in the under $100 category ... possibly much less. I wouldn't be overly concerned about a pH of 8.2. Your municipal water source is intentionally delivering it that way to prevent it from leaching lead out of old pipes. Calcium carbonate can alter soil pH over time ... but for most of us, we've already harvested before that becomes an issue.
Absolutely nothing wrong with doing so but I can confidently say that the reproduction rates are far to great and the damage done to the population is far to small when good watering practices are used to be of any noticeable consequence.

but again there is absolutely no harm and I’d say even a small benefit to doing so. I just don’t see it as detri as we may think is all

Latest posts

Top Bottom