Tap Water

• Thread starter petraus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
petraus

petraus

Is tap water safe to use for TLO organics..or any organics for that matter? I was under the assumption that the chlorine in the water killed all the micro-life.

Seems like alot of work to keep a steady supply of RO water available for a 1k light...i amm very willing to do it though!

S

slap14

Is tap water safe to use for TLO organics..or any organics for that matter? I was under the assumption that the chlorine in the water killed all the micro-life.

Seems like alot of work to keep a steady supply of RO water available for a 1k light...i amm very willing to do it though!

I think you will end up with issues depending on your tap water. I know my tap water is at like 450PPM. I grow TLO and I had a couple plants I put outside and fed with tap water and about 45 days in had serious lock out. Also I don't think it would make for a very effective tea witch is a must with TLO. Bennies don't seem to like my tap water much:(

I store my R/O water in a 44 gallon trashcan with a float valve inside. My R/O system is in another room so I just run a feed line to it let it fill overnight then pull the feed line off till I need more works fantastic.:)

Good luck

Slap

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't even filter my irrigation water for OD. Not Tx'd with Cl or chloramine, but it's very hard with a very high pH all on its own. I use the soil to do the work for me.

Dechlor and use it. RO in the name of a "TLO" is wasteful to the nth degree.

Yes, Cl kills microbes, that's the purpose and the point of making potable water. But, here's the thing--the moment the Cl molecule touches an organic molecule, it reacts and it's done. Kaput. Just like H2O2, when it reacts, it's done reacting.

My opinion is learn what you're starting out with, then go from there. For example, your water muni may not be using the old Cl Tx, which has been linked to cancer. The EPA wants munis to use chloramine. Those bonds can be broken, IIRC citric acid will do it, I'm habitual about using what I learned to use in my fish days--sodium thiosulfate.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

You can google and find your city water report.... it will tell you a lot about your water, like if they have switched to chloramine....

S

slap14

Dechlor and use it. RO in the name of a "TLO" is wasteful to the nth degree.

I run my waste line outside to a rain barrel and use it on the lawn. The lawn in the backyard where I use this doesn't seem to mind but anything in pots sure doesen't seem to like it.;)

Most city water agencies waste more water in an hour than what I waste in 10 years for my 12 plants and my drinking water. I think it's important to be aware and do your best to conserve but it's also important to be safe. I wouldn't drink my tap water on a regular basis if you paid me.:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I run my waste line outside to a rain barrel and use it on the lawn. The lawn in the backyard where I use this doesn't seem to mind but anything in pots sure doesen't seem to like it.;)
Yep, you've hit the nail on the head with that. The lawn's soil is 'open', and all those wastes have more room to move, instead of being concentrated in a pot.
Most city water agencies waste more water in an hour than what I waste in 10 years for my 12 plants and my drinking water. I think it's important to be aware and do your best to conserve but it's also important to be safe. I wouldn't drink my tap water on a regular basis if you paid me.:)
Mmm.. I sure hope that's not true of CA water agencies. Right now my perspective on water is that it is the most precious, valuable resource we have. Feelin' kinda dry out here, ya know?

S

slap14

Mmm.. I sure hope that's not true of CA water agencies.

Hate to say yea I'm in So Cal and in the last 8 to 10 months we have had three major main line breaks in my area. Each time they have to flush the entire area because of all the crap that gets in the line. The way they do this is to turn on all the hydrants in the area for about 4 plus hours. The first time I went down and talked to the city worker and just asked how much water gets flushed through, he said the hydrants flow at about 500 gallons per minute. Do the math and that tells you how much waste is going on. Two months ago up the street where the main line feeds into the meter broke and we had a river flowing down our block and it took the city 4 hours after calling to come out and look at it. Then it took another 2 hours to stop it. I agree we all must conserve but it's the state and big business that needs better regulation if we really want to make a difference.

Boy you hit the nail on the head Seamaiden about water being our most precious resource.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Damn it! :( That's shameful. We shouldn't get started on the ag stuff. Sky high opened my eyes on that one.

snowdrop

snowdrop

What straincreation said, just let it stand for a day and the chlorine will evaporate. I wouldn't expect a little would make much difference to the plants anyway - I grow a lot ornamental flowers in organic beds and use chlorine-laden mains water and they bloom just fine

CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

IMO chloramine will set back microorganism activity in a living mix. Outdoors is more tolerant, but in containers, at very least,it won't be appreciated. I have a high ppm well water running 7.2 with no chlorine/amine but I find that in containers, my soil does build a highish ph. Seamaiden, you let the soil do its 'thing' and all is well? I have issues with Mg and Ca salt buildup on the upper soil layers (which dry out most) after a long cycle. If I don't put the top 10% of the used soil in the compost/soil heap, after 2-3 indoor cycles, alkalinity and ph get into lockout deficiency territory. I have to use rainwateror melted snow to control the buildup in containers, any tips? My ppm is in the 240-280 region. I tried using municipal town water, let air out for 4 days, showed 50ppm very low to no chlorine and burnt my plants! I don't think chloramine showed on my tester, and I believe thats what torched my girls, I'm not to keen on RO or softeners.

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

I was wondering if all my excess snow could be melted and stored for useage.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

IMO chloramine will set back microorganism activity in a living mix. Outdoors is more tolerant, but in containers, at very least,it won't be appreciated. I have a high ppm well water running 7.2 with no chlorine/amine but I find that in containers, my soil does build a highish ph. Seamaiden, you let the soil do its 'thing' and all is well? I have issues with Mg and Ca salt buildup on the upper soil layers (which dry out most) after a long cycle. If I don't put the top 10% of the used soil in the compost/soil heap, after 2-3 indoor cycles, alkalinity and ph get into lockout deficiency territory. I have to use rainwateror melted snow to control the buildup in containers, any tips? My ppm is in the 240-280 region. I tried using municipal town water, let air out for 4 days, showed 50ppm very low to no chlorine and burnt my plants! I don't think chloramine showed on my tester, and I believe thats what torched my girls, I'm not to keen on RO or softeners.
Do not use water from a water softener it just introduces sodium into your water and plants don't tolerate Sodium well.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't disagree with you on the microbial activity, but I wouldn't be surprised if the effect is minimal since once the active agents have reacted (contacted organic matter) they're done reacting, so to speak. If your muni water is Tx'd with chloramine, it will never outgas, you'll have to use something like sodium thiosulfate to break the Cl from the NH3, where the Cl can then be neutralized and the NH3 just feeds your plants.

So far I am not having problems with buildup of carbonates in my containers or beds. I do use cover crops, and the containers are outside so they're exposed to whatever rain or snow may fall and help dissolve some of the carbonate build-up. But if I do see a problem building up, I will introduce peat to help 'lock' onto those carbonates for me.

Try simply neutralizing that muni water with something like the sodium thiosulfate and see if that helps.

One thing that confuses me, is your water in the 240-280ppm range, or is it in the 50ppm range?

HGW562

HGW562

I just let it sit out for a couple days and my teas brew just fine.

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

Ill try the thiosulfates. What ratio to a gallon or 5 gallons?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
3% solution applied at a rate of 1tsp/gallon water. Go to The Chemistry Store dot com. Look up sodium thiosulfate. You'll be shown ST in pure granular form. That needs to be diluted down to 3%.

If you keep fish and have been spending assloads of money on dechlorinator, you're going to want to slap your LFS employee who sells it to you. :p

PLOOKERKING

PLOOKERKING

When i went into petco today i didnt realize i smelt of chronic lol......needless to say he goes damn man can you share????? So i had to ask u guys....the petco reeftender is a superstoner who dosnt have a clue like you do! Thanjyou seamaiden........ONCE AGAIN

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh shit, the things I could tell you about Petschmo....

Basically, damn near ANY fishhead is a stoner, in my extensive experience as a fishthing *and* a stoner. :D

Top Bottom