Tarp for roll up garage door that needs sound dampening?

• Thread starter 500lbs Guerilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I have a garage with a roll up automatic door that, when it comes to sound, may as well be an open wall. I don't need to soundproof it, but dampen the sound enough so that people outside the garage can't easily hear conversations going on within. I'm building a sealed room within the garage which will e soundproofed enough, but I'm uncomfortable with the fact that you can hear me walking around in the garage from outside the garage door. Because of the water heater location and various brackets in the way, building a wall in front with sound deadening materials seems like a major pain. I'm wondering if I could simply staple a thick tarp over the garage door and pack it full of insulation.... Anybody think this might work?

hiboy

hiboy

Somethings better than nothing if you cant frame in a hard wall.
U could also have a radio to muffle voices if thats possible
hb

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I did the same thing built a room in a room. I used thick plastic taped around the door and floor then I used empty boxes and made a wall it worked great until the humidity got to high in the garage. I also used have radio its probably the easiest route plus no one knows if its empty if they hear a radio playing. If you have the cash u could get some thick insulation board the 2 inch would almost kill the sound. Regular insulation doesn't help much for sound it has to have some density.

sky high

sky high

What about 2"thick styrofoam blue board glued right on the door? If that doesn't deaden it enough to get the job done...staple bats of insulation onto the blue board?

good luck figuring it out

s h

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, the rigid styrofoam should help you out, perhaps layered with some cardboard? Or, what if you just go the old school route and glue up carpet onto the door, in the panels themselves? Would that make it too heavy for the opener to open the door?

Cort

Cort

What about taking some acustic foam and attaching to an old sheet or something, Attach the sheet to the roof to make a faux wall that could be removed in no time flat.

I dont know if it will work, thoughts?

EC1-5-L.jpg

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Thanks for all the input fellas. Threw out the idea of tarp and insulation. The foam boards, although easier than building a wall, was still going to take a bit of engineering to get around all the brackets. I was looking at acoustical foam, when I came across a foreclosure getting rid of a ton of free carpet. In the end, I taped up the gap between the door and the frame with gorilla tape the best I could, then sprayed some expanding foam over that. I then stapled up the free carpet in layers over the entire garage door, and then another layer of free carpet pad on top of that. A bit ghetto, and quite flammable, but free, easy, and pretty effective as a sound insualtor.

dankohzee

dankohzee

Only problem is you'll have carpet fibers all through your buds. I just removed carpeting from my roomfor this reason.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I used rigid styrofoam 3/4 inch I think fits perfectly in the grooves then I taped all the joints. U can't here the ac or pumps or my yelling . Took 3 sheets to do a 2 cardoor at about 8$ per sheet plus I roll of foil tape.
Confu...

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Home depot sells a foam insulation kit made especially for insulating rollup garage doors!

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Carpet works okay - think I need to tear it down and just do it right.

Only problem is you'll have carpet fibers all through your buds. I just removed carpeting from my roomfor this reason.

Its a room within a room so carpet fibers won't be a problem. More just pumps, fans, and my voice. You could hear me scratch my butt through the door before. I can still hear the air pump though (its a big one) and the carpet is just kind of dirty. I'm worried it would mold in the future.

I used rigid styrofoam 3/4 inch I think fits perfectly in the grooves then I taped all the joints. U can't here the ac or pumps or my yelling . Took 3 sheets to do a 2 cardoor at about 8$ per sheet plus I roll of foil tape.
Confu...

Really?? With just foam insulation and foil tape? Hmm might have to consider that route. Problem is still the brackets and water heater. I would need to build a frame in front of the door and have brackets pass through it. I think I can remove most of the brackets except the middle one which holds the spring for the automatic opener. I don't really want to mess with that piece, not to mention trying to re-install it when I move out. Those springs are a bitch and hold a ton of tension.

Home depot sells a foam insulation kit made especially for insulating rollup garage doors!

Home depot has an average review of 1 star for the kit, and my garage door has all sorts of diagonal supports and brackets. Might be better and more cost effective to just us regular insulation at that point.

I might just go with a 2x4 frame, rigid foam or osb, then drywall. Just caulk or spray GoodStuff expanding foam where the bracket holes are. Don't know if thats overkill or not. heres a pic of a problem area. You can see the brackets for the rollers, which I think I can remove, and the water heater. The water heater also sits on a block that covers a hole in the ground where the electrical conduit is. This block sits in front of a couple inches of garage door.
Photo

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Damn bro its so close id find a way to divert the some of the co2 that water heater is producing into my grow op!2x4 wall is probably the best bet for you after seeing your door, i thought it was one of the newer metal ones.

Top Bottom