Tchniques for germinating Old and improperly stored seeds

• Thread starter elBarracho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elBarracho

Hello all. I was wondering what techniques anyone had for germinating old seeds that were stored in a hyper-humid environment. I have some seeds that I made back in '03. They have been stored off and on in a tupperware in a refrigerator (no good). I have tried soaking in nitrozyme and other compounds high in cytokinins. I tried lightly sanding them with emery boards to make the shells more perrmeable. After two weeks not even one success. I am running low on them and I do not want to make too many more fruitless attempts. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Edit/Delete Message

B

BlueWater

I was going to suggest the sandpaper(essentially emeryboards) lol. The way I originally read to do it was put a little sliver in something like a matchbox and lightly shake the seeds around inside it.

What other ways have you tried? Paper Towels? Water in a cup? I generally just put them in paper towels but have had success w/ the water in a cup method as well.

E

elBarracho

I have tried both. The resulting growth was limited to fungus on the end where the radicle pops out. I have heard perhaps gibberillic acid, which is the active ingredient in rooting compounds? Maybe tissue culture?

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
did you do a test germ b4 they were stored

E

elBarracho

Yes they were all viable, cracking the next day from when they were soaked.

Top Bottom