Tds\ec help

• Thread starter Bigredauto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bigredauto

Bigredauto

What's up farmers in here again with noob ? My TDS / ec tester reads like this for ec. I seen in a post some one was saying ex of .4 or .5 . Now mine don't read decimals. Can someone help me understand this and what I want for my plants .

Tdsec help
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
It doesnt matter what you use. PPM is just a scale of EC. x500 or x700 scale (also called the 442 conversion). TDS is one of those conversions. You just need to know which one it is using cause it can be either or. That looks like you have it in µS. 1 EC = 1000 µS. Most people you see talking about PPM specifically are using the 500 scale. At least weed growers.

That is correct on your conversion and pls don't feed plants with that they will fry.

Bigredauto

Bigredauto

It doesnt matter what you use. PPM is just a scale of EC. x500 or x700 scale (also called the 442 conversion). TDS is one of those conversions. You just need to know which one it is using cause it can be either or. That looks like you have it in µS. 1 EC = 1000 µS. Most people you see talking about PPM specifically are using the 500 scale. At least weed growers.

That is correct on your conversion and pls don't feed plants with that they will fry.
Well I did my first run off on one plant that I used ffof. I made rookie mistake at beginning when I watered soil first time put seedling in it then checked the run off it was 2200 ppm . I worried then and posted here some said leave it be that it may burn a lil that ffof is like that but should be ok . So now on day 12 I gave first good water and check RO it was 3250 ppm . Although seedling looked ok I gave it a good flush till it showed 800ppm . I have only used tap water which of 6.0 and 75 ppm . She looks good this is day after flush.

IMG 20200513 193828 kindlephoto 503110908
threatco

threatco

Well I did my first run off on one plant that I used ffof. I made rookie mistake at beginning when I watered soil first time put seedling in it then checked the run off it was 2200 ppm . I worried then and posted here some said leave it be that it may burn a lil that ffof is like that but should be ok . So now on day 12 I gave first good water and check RO it was 3250 ppm . Although seedling looked ok I gave it a good flush till it showed 800ppm . I have only used tap water which of 6.0 and 75 ppm . She looks good this is day after flush.

I think that flush was a good call

Bigredauto

Bigredauto

I think that flush was a good call
Do you think a 800 ppm is ok . I didn't want to keep flushing it took 2gal of tap to get it down to that . Now I have good drainage 3 gal pot with small garden rock in the bottom bout an inch . And pot are lifted off the floor.

threatco

threatco

I know with a RO that high I thought I was gonna cook her .

Anyone else get mixed up seeing RO as runoff or reverse osmosis?
Do you think a 800 ppm is ok . I didn't want to keep flushing it took 2gal of tap to get it down to that . Now I have good drainage 3 gal pot with small garden rock in the bottom bout an inch . And pot are lifted off the floor.

Anything I say would be a guess. I grow hydroponic so not sure the ins and outs of soil flushing. But that ppm was sky high before.

Bigredauto

Bigredauto

Don't measure pure ro with a pH pen. Bad news for the probe. Also don't worry about runoff in soil.
Thanks didn't know bout that with the pen . As you say I shouldn't worry bout run off what bout the high ppm it was 3250 ppm.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
yeah runoff in soil isnt something that is going to be accurate. Soil growing is going to take reading the plant. start super lite and work your way up. Better to go not enough then too much.

Bigredauto

Bigredauto

yeah runoff in soil isnt something that is going to be accurate. Soil growing is going to take reading the plant. start super lite and work your way up. Better to go not enough then too much.
Yes that is what I had read also . I haven't started to feed my plants yet was actually gonna wait till I see signs of deficiencies before I do . Would you recommend the same . Then give low doses of nutes

Bigredauto

Bigredauto

Don't forget that your pin won't pick up organic nutrients. So if your dirt has organic nutes and you also have 800ppm (from stuff you added) then you still have a very hot pot for a seedling.
I haven't add nothing but tap water with 6.0 ph and 75 ppm no bites yet that is first run off from ffof.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I wouldnt feed soil anything till it needs it. I don't use anything on my outdoor veggy garden and just top it with compost in the winter before I plant. Only thing I every have to supp is Ca for the tomatoes.

Top Bottom